Ketogenic Diet for Controlling Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it were only for weight-loss,

If it were only for weight-loss, I might have selected another way. However, I decided to join the Keto-Team here because, like others, I was developing too many health issues. In just 16 days, I've eliminated my need for fast-acting insulin and reduced the amount of units for my base-line insulin. My fasting BG was 97 today, which is the lowest it has been in a year. Needless to say, I'm floored by the change.

Being a born and raised southern girl, I was really worried. Bluntly, I did not know how to cook when cornbread, potatoes or beans were not involved. (Okay, a bit extreme, but seriously, I didn't know what to make without carbs.) I believe in the days leading up to the start of the diet, I grieved a bit over that. I can say that, with each passing day, it is getting easier for me and I have not missed grains nearly as much as I thought I would.

One thing that I believe we ALL have to our advantage: We like to cook. Rather than try to create meals that I've always loved, I am striving to make things that fit my diet plan. My biggest challenge has been to get enough fat into the diet and/or not to over-eat proteins. When I do not have enough fat or eat too much protein, my lazy body will convert the protein to sugar rather than break down the fats for energy, and then my blood glucose will bounce up - but even then, it does not bounce up nearly to where it was.

After simply 16 days, I'm so grateful that Steve started this thread and PF, who has always been a kindred soul to me, joined in. The two of them caused me to take another look at the plan and then I started to look into it being the science gal I am.

So...for now, it is working great for me with a few hiccups. One huge hiccup was that keto-flu. After a few days, it hit me with a vengeance. Had my blood glucose not have decreased dramatically, I would have tossed in the towel right then. Others I know who have started this diet had aches, dizziness, headaches. I had that, but also had the worse nausea I ever imagined without throwing up. The things that stopped it were fat bombs and bouillon. (Hence the faux French Onion soup.) Also, when it got so extreme, I read on a website that unsweetened applesauce - just 1/2 cup and eaten extremely slow - might be helpful. It worked wonderfully. I only resorted to applesauce twice.

So...just my story on it. I really could not have made the change without DC and the Keto-Team here. I'm so happy I've made it. Steve and PF were correct in telling me that, once the keto-flu passed, I'd have more energy than I've had in years.

~Kathleen

Thank you, Kathleen.

I just made an Iced cream shake, 70 g frozen blueberries and 6 tablespoons 40% heavy whipping cream, blasted in the Magic Bullet. 396 calories, 35 g fat, 7 g carbs. Fulfilled my Macros and my calories. I have to watch the calories and make sure I am getting enough each day, most days I am only eating one meal.

If it were only for weight-loss, I might have selected another way. However, I decided to join the Keto-Team here because, like others, I was developing too many health issues. In just 16 days, I've eliminated my need for fast-acting insulin and reduced the amount of units for my base-line insulin. My fasting BG was 97 today, which is the lowest it has been in a year. Needless to say, I'm floored by the change.
That's fantastic news Kathleen! :)

If your metabolism is anything like mine, it will continue to go down, although probably not as quickly as it did at first. It seems like every week my 7-day BG average has dropped another point or two, and it feels like my body is healing.

I started on this for the same reasons as you. The weight loss is simply icing on the cake (I guess I need a new cliché, since icing and cake are no longer on the menu anymore).

The lack of cravings constantly surprises me as well. Speaking of cake and icing, my wife and I were at a restaurant yesterday that features cupcakes and has them displayed prominently in a case up front where you place your order. In the not so distant past, neither of us would've been able to pass those up. But as we were standing in line, she looked over at me and said, "You know what? They don't even look appetizing anymore." (we both ordered salads, by the way)

Last edited:
...I have to watch the calories and make sure I am getting enough each day, most days I am only eating one meal.
Same here. But I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Something I read in one of the books claimed that it's a more natural state to eat when you're hungry, rather than being chained to a fixed meal schedule.

I find that I'm generally hungriest when I first get up in the morning. Breakfast is the meal that I always look forward to, and contains most of my daily calories. I've been skipping lunch due to still being full from breakfast. In the afternoon I might have a handful of nuts or a little cheese of some type. Dinners have been getting smaller, too, although I do try to eat something so that I don't end up snacking right before bedtime.

That's fantastic news Kathleen! :)

If your metabolism is anything like mine, it will continue to go down, although probably not as quickly as it did at first. It seems like every week my 7-day BG average has dropped another point or two, and it feels like my body is healing.

I started on this for the same reasons as you. The weight loss is simply icing on the cake (I guess I need a new cliché, since icing and cake are no longer on the menu anymore).

The lack of cravings constantly surprises me as well. Speaking of cake and icing, my wife and I were at a restaurant yesterday that features cupcakes and has them displayed prominently in a case up front where you place your order. In the not so distant past, neither of us would've been able to pass those up. But as we were standing in line, she looked over at me and said, "You know what? They don't even look appetizing anymore." (we both ordered salads, by the way)

"It's the butter on my cheese.":pig:

My favorite treat food has been bacon bowls with guacamole and pepperoni chips. The other day I had a distinct craving...for butter.

Butter and a good bologna makes a great afternoon snack.

Kathleen, I'm so happy for you. I don't have a blood sugar problem but with the extra pounds I have on, I could easily end up with a problem.

I'm on day 13, I have stopped having any cravings, at all. I wait until I'm hungry, usually after a morning of coffee with full cream, sometime in the afternoon I actually get an appetite.
I have bags of cleaned up cauliflower and broccoli, and a dip/dressing made mostly of cream/sourcream/mayo and seasonings. I have everything for salad makings with a french type homemade dressing (there is some sugar in there but it's mostly oil, onion, vinegar).
I have red coleslaw heavy on the olive oil.
I'm having a hard time wanting to eat proteins, I have on hand cheese, bear sausage, mackerel, roast beef and could assorted other proteins. I eat the roast beef warmed up with butter over it.

I have these things on hand for hubs but I can't even look at them: 10 dozen frozen cookies and bars, ice cream-double chocolate brownie, potatoes and pasta, rice and squash.

This reminds me of this story from Grumpier Old Men, from the IMDB.
Grandpa: What the... what the hell is this?
John: That's lite beer.
Grandpa: Gee, I weigh ninety goddamn pounds, and you bring me this sloppin' foam?
John: Ariel's got me on a diet because the doc said my cholestorol's a little too high.
Grandpa: Well let me tell you something now, Johnny. Last Thursday, I turned 95 years old. And I never exercised a day in my life. Every morning, I wake up, and I smoke a cigarette. And then I eat five strips of bacon. And for lunch, I eat a bacon sandwich. And for a midday snack?
John: Bacon.
Grandpa: Bacon! A whole damn plate! And I usually drink my dinner. Now according to all of them flat-belly experts, I should've took a dirt nap like thirty years ago. But each year comes and goes, and I'm still here. Ha! And they keep dyin'. You know? Sometimes I wonder if God forgot about me. Just goes to show you, huh?
John: What?
Grandpa: Huh?
John: Goes to show you what?
Grandpa: Well it just goes... what the hell are you talkin' about?
John: Well you said you drink beer, you eat bacon and you smoke cigarettes, and you outlive most of the experts.
Grandpa: Yeah?
John: I thought maybe there was a moral.
Grandpa: No, there ain't no moral. I just like that story. That's all. Like that story.

I had someone in my life die at 47, he paid close attention to his diet, ate low fat, didn't smoke, used no drugs, didn't have a blood pressure problem, rarely drank and never to excess, then a heart attack and gone. He kept himself in good physical condition and his job was a physical one that helped keep him in good shape. These things are such a mystery and cause me to ponder what is happening with the conventions of 'being healthy'.

My scale tells me I've lost 6 lbs since the beginning, only 1 lb this week, but it goes in cycles barely registering any change and then it takes a plunge at some point. I might not be eating enough fats.

I read on facebook, "every loaf of bread is a tragic story of grains that could have become beer, but didn't." I think the only thing that could coax me even momentarily away from this diet, is if someone broke into my house, baked a loaf of bread or buns, they had a thick crust on them, and they offered it to me slathered in butter hot out of the oven. I've lowered my security standards in case anyone wants to do that. :LOL:

I miss oatmeal...not bread, not sugar...just oatmeal. Realized that when I made oatmeal for Shrek the other day. I can make buttermilk pancakes for him and never even twitch over it.

"It's the butter on my cheese.":pig:

My favorite treat food has been bacon bowls with guacamole and pepperoni chips. The other day I had a distinct craving...for butter.

Butter and a good bologna makes a great afternoon snack.

LOL... I bought braunschweiger the other day. I love it with mustard. I also bought a package of calf liver and stuck it in the freezer. I'll pull it out and cook it while my wife is out of town on business next month.

15 slices of pepperoni, layered on an 8 inch paper plate or pie pan, 4 tablespoons pizza/marinara sauce, 1/4 cup mozzarella. Cook in Microwave x 2 minutes (paper or glass plate), not sure how long on a pie plate, but until cheese is bubbly.

Wonderful pepperoni pizza.

LOL... I bought braunschweiger the other day. I love it with mustard. I also bought a package of calf liver and stuck it in the freezer. I'll pull it out and cook it while my wife is out of town on business next month.

I had liverwurst wrapped in Bibb lettuce for breakfast a few times. It was easy to eat on the go and was yummy. I thought of mixing braunschweiger with cream cheese and wrapping it in a lettuce leaf. I love liver! Regarding the cupcakes, I'm not there yet, but the icing would not look appealing.

15 slices of pepperoni, layered on an 8 inch paper plate or pie pan, 4 tablespoons pizza/marinara sauce, 1/4 cup mozzarella. Cook in Microwave x 2 minutes (paper or glass plate), not sure how long on a pie plate, but until cheese is bubbly.

Wonderful pepperoni pizza.

PF, this boarders on brilliant. ;) You are definitely the butter on the cheese!

Kathleen, I'm so happy for you. I don't have a blood sugar problem but with the extra pounds I have on, I could easily end up with a problem.

I'm on day 13, I have stopped having any cravings, at all. I wait until I'm hungry, usually after a morning of coffee with full cream, sometime in the afternoon I actually get an appetite.
I have bags of cleaned up cauliflower and broccoli, and a dip/dressing made mostly of cream/sourcream/mayo and seasonings. I have everything for salad makings with a french type homemade dressing (there is some sugar in there but it's mostly oil, onion, vinegar).
I have red coleslaw heavy on the olive oil.

My scale tells me I've lost 6 lbs since the beginning, only 1 lb this week, but it goes in cycles barely registering any change and then it takes a plunge at some point. I might not be eating enough fats.

I'm noticing more change in my clothing than on the scales though like you, I had a huge drop in week 1 and less so in other weeks. But...I'm down a dress size. :cool: When I go down another, it will be time to shop!

I'd love the recipe for the red coleslaw!

~Kathleen

Kathleen, I put a tablespoon or so of mustard, and the same amount of vinegar or lemon juice, then a bunch of olive oil and salt and pepper, good and juicy. That over the coles slaw, rich and delicious.

Kathleen, I put a tablespoon or so of mustard, and the same amount of vinegar or lemon juice, then a bunch of olive oil and salt and pepper, good and juicy. That over the coles slaw, rich and delicious.

That sounds great!

I highly recommend taking a leisurely browse through Reddit's keto board. It's very active and full of outstanding recipes, tips and tricks.

I love good recipe sites! Thanks!

I'm curious if any of you use lo carb protein powders to make meal replacement shakes.

I'm looking for something simple that I could use for a quick breakfast or lunch, sort of like the old Carnation Instant Breakfast.

Thanks.

I've never been much for the powdered shakes, either. In addition to the artificial sweeteners mentioned, they also, by their very nature, don't tend to have much fat, which is the linchpin of this way of eating.

For quick eats, I try to have stuff available in the fridge that's easy and nutritious: rotisserie chicken, cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc.

Last edited:
Though I had to fast yesterday because I had a minor procedure this morning, I was unable to take my base insulin. The BG this morning (without food or insulin) was 87. Wow!

So now that I am home and quasi-loopy, I'm considering what to make for the Superbowl. Traditionally, friends join here to watch. Last year, I made gumbo with little oyster po-boys. I'm not sure at all what to make this year. Lettuce wraps are great, but I wonder how it will go over as people eat them on my leather sofa - you know? :ermm: I did come across this recipe for keto-buns. While not something I would want to make often, I wonder if it would solve my Superbowl party dilemma. I thought of making them hotdog style and having Italian sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions. Has anyone tried something like this?

~Kathleen

Last edited:
Though I had to fast yesterday because I had a minor procedure this morning, I was unable to take my base insulin. The BG this morning (without food or insulin) was 87. Wow!

So now that I am home and quasi-loopy, I'm considering what to make for the Superbowl. Traditionally, friends join here to watch. Last year, I made gumbo with little oyster po-boys. I'm not sure at all what to make this year. Lettuce wraps are great, but I wonder how it will go over as people eat them on my leather sofa - you know? :ermm: I did come across this recipe for keto-buns. While not something I would want to make often, I wonder if it would solve my Superbowl party dilemma. I thought of making them hotdog style and having Italian sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions. Has anyone tried something like this?

~Kathleen

You buy or make rolls, etc that you would normally serve your guests for their meal. They are not on a new food lifestyle. Or you could call them and explain about your new food lifestyle and ask them what they would like. I bet if you serve a good antipasto plate and the sausages with peppers and onions. Folks might not notice the lack of bread. I would not make the Keto-buns for them, that is asking for alienation, unless they know beforehand and agree to be guinea pigs.

I just had salmon chunks (the fatty belly portion) marinated in Tamari, ginger,garlic and sesame oil. Scrambled egg (cooked in avocado oil) with the salmon and juices poured over.

I have a larger portion of a salmon steak marinating in a sweet and spicy teriyaki sauce, it should make two servings. I will serve that with some frozen stir fry veggie mix.

Last edited:
I agree with PF that I would still have some of the foods you usually serve at the get-togethers, but make sure the leftovers go home with your guests. Make lots of low carb foods that you can eat. No need to mention that it's a special eating plan. It's all good food, and they might like it, too. Sometimes if you say you are following a certain eating plan, others will try to get you to try just a teensie piece of something. What works best for me is to tell them my doctor told me to cut back on carbs. Who wants to try to get you to go against the doctor's orders?

I'm not the type of person who would "hide" foods or pretend they are something they aren't. All of those close to me are aware and supportive - just as I support others in their lifestyle choices. For the superbowl, I'll have some items that will work for my low-fat friend and I'll skip seafood since one does not eat shellfish. It's a good challenge to see what can work for everyone.

Tonight we had liver and onions. I made mashed cauliflower that ended my "wow, if only I had mashed potato" cravings. A friend at work suggested mashing cauliflower with Parmesan, sour cream, and butter. Instead, I used cream cheese, butter, a bit of heavy cream, a pinch of garlic, and salt/pepper to taste. Good enough for me to log the recipe for another day!

~Kathleen

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom