Keto diets, what’s the hype?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Baloney. I get so tired of having to fight this fight, but here we go again. :rolleyes:

So stop. We've heard your story every one of the dozen times you've told it. What I wrote *last spring* is not just my opinion; studies show many people have difficulty with this diet. I've commended you before for sticking to it for so long, but I don't think you're typical.

In case you didn't notice, Princess Fiona created a new forum for keto, etc., type diets and put a bunch of old threads in it, bringing them to the top. Just take it from there and qwitcher bellyachin.

Last edited:
I'm on something like that. I call it the "Eat mostly what I want and not die from horrible diabetic symptoms" diet. :)

There are also these things called "supplements" to replace many of the nutrients and macro-nutrients missed with eliminating food groups. There may be some carb load with some of them and no doubt its better to get them from fresh foods, but better than nothing I would imagine. That's why they give them to people in the hospital who cant eat.

So Steve, what food groups have you eliminated completely? My guess is grains is the only one you have eliminated completely, and a lot of that can be replaced with nuts and seeds...and supplements. There are small amounts of certain fruits that are doable at 30g or less a day, so hopefully you get some kind of fruit, usually berries are the lowest carb. Fruit JUICE is the biggest no-no as you likely know, its all the sugars with little of the fiber. Going Atkins and paying attention made me realize the skin on kiwis is edible and packed with fiber and nutes. My wife cant bring herself to do it, but I eat the whole thing nowadays.

Eliminating potatoes and beans is not eliminating an entire food group. Those are part of a food group. Ideally we would eat something from all food groups, but different people find what works for them for managing medical conditions...the loss in nutrition macros is far outweighed by the quality of life in many people with specific health conditions.

I'm on something like that. I call it the "Eat mostly what I want and not die from horrible diabetic symptoms" diet. :)
I know little to nothing about diets. Hopefully, ignorance is bliss..

I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 2010. I was 71 years old..
I was prescribed Metformin and told to lose weight, among other life style suggestions I mostly ignored.

I lost 36 lbs and @ 170 lbs my A1C dropped to normal, my blood glucose dropped below 120 and I began to feel much better.

The weight loss was due to eating more frequently and definitely consuming smaller portions.. 2 years into this I regained 6 lbs. I eat what I want now and have stayed @ 176 lbs. My A1C is continually below 6 and my blood glucose stays under 120..

I believe that a dessert a day, keeps the blues away.. ;)

We are each different and what works for me, may well not work for someone else..

Ross

I have a feeling you have somehow confused my post with Steve's.

There are also these things called "supplements" to replace many of the nutrients and macro-nutrients missed with eliminating food groups. There may be some carb load with some of them and no doubt its better to get them from fresh foods, but better than nothing I would imagine. That's why they give them to people in the hospital who cant eat.

I have serious chronic intestinal disease which has resulted in chronic malnutrition and permanent damage to some body systems, so I'm well-educated about nutrition, supplements and the conditions that result from not getting enough. Call me crazy but I think there's something inherently unhealthy about a diet that requires people to take artificial supplements in order to get the nutrients the body needs.

Eliminating potatoes and beans is not eliminating an entire food group. Those are part of a food group. Ideally we would eat something from all food groups, but different people find what works for them for managing medical conditions...the loss in nutrition macros is far outweighed by the quality of life in many people with specific health conditions.

You mean micro nutrients, right?

Beans are legumes; they're part of a food group that also includes peas and lentils. Rice is another forbidden food group, as well as root vegetables - not just potatoes, which is a tuber. Botanically, anything that contains seeds is a fruit; cucumbers, eggplant, peppers, squash and tomatoes all have fair amounts of sugars, so they should be excluded. I wonder why they're not.

https://www.perfectketo.com/ketogenic-diet-foods-to-avoid/

Also, Steve, you may not think that this diet requires grass-fed, etc., meats, but that doesn't match the recommendations out there that people who have not studied it as intensively as you have think they have to follow. And, as a single person with no school-age children, you can eat or not eat whatever you want without taking other people's preferences into account. Your experience and situation cannot be extrapolated to everyone else.

Last edited:
I have yet to see Steve or myself tell anyone on this forum what they should be eating. We have had our successes and described how we got there. We have answered questions without proselytizing our diets. We have done our homework and are eating according to what we believe will help us with the health problems we have.

If you do not think we are eating right, that is your problem, not ours. If you have questions, we are glad to answer them.

I will never tell you eat this or don't eat that. I will, however, point you towards the fount of information out there, if you ask.

My numbers are back in the normal range, including those for micronutrients. I no longer have food "hangovers", no more GERD symptoms and my medications for high blood pressure have been kicked to the curb. The last angiogram showed significant reduction in plaques that were occluding (50-75%) the vessels of my heart. After three heart attacks, I find all of this to be to my benefit. I am living proof that a Ketogenic diet works for some people. I have not had chest pains (angina) for over 9 months, when I used to have it 2-3 times a week.

In the way of supplements, I take: B vitamins, Vitamin K2-mk7, magnesium chloride...that's it for nutritional supplements. I do take D3 in the winter, but not during the summer when I am outdoors most of the day.

I have REVERSED my T2 diabetes, fatty liver disease, hypertension (last recorded BP by MD was 123/62, by me this morning 114/57) and reduced my heart disease risk.

So please, a little respect for our way of life and our diets. If it won't work for you, I am truly sorry. I wish all of us could feel the way I feel after three years on a Ketogenic diet.

<off soapbox>

I have yet to see Steve or myself tell anyone on this forum what they should be eating. ...

So please, a little respect for our way of life and our diets. If it won't work for you, I am truly sorry. I wish all of us could feel the way I feel after three years on a Ketogenic diet.

Where did I tell anyone what to eat? I'm responding to posts directed at me. I didn't intend to participate in this new forum at all when I first saw it. So please - discuss amongst yourselves and leave me out.

Last edited:
Exactly where was my post directed at you?

I give up, people "urk" at my food choices and I am not allowed to make any statements regarding my diet and/or health without folks thinking I am "talking" directly to them.

Exactly where was my post directed at you?

I give up, people "urk" at my food choices and I am not allowed to make any statements regarding my diet and/or health without folks thinking I am "talking" directly to them.
Oh, sorry. You addressed many of the points I made in my previous post, so I guess I was confused. Who is "you" you mentioned several times?

I don't really see where anyone is "urking" at your food or preventing you from making statements about your choices.

Last edited:
The only time I have heartburn or a GERD relapse is when I consume carbs, especially late in the day. If I am going to have carbs, as a treat, I have them well before 5 pm.

We are all different. I have to be very careful with fatty foods, especially late in the day. Carbs and low-fat dairy are fine.

If I were to go on the Atkins diet, I'd have to make sure I am never more than ten minutes away from a bathroom. I love a good ribeye steak, but I have to be careful. I buy a really good ribeye, and eat half of it at one meal, and the leftover half the next day. I love a good burger, too, but no more than a single 1/4 pound patty, or I will pay for it later.

Vegetable fats, like olive oil, are not a problem. Spicy foods are not a problem -- hot peppers actually seem to settle my digestive system, for some weird reason. Especially cayenne (maybe Chef John is onto something).

Bottom line... listen to your body. There are all kinds of "diets" out there that are supposed to be good for you, but your body knows what it needs, and what it can't handle. I have a cousin with Celiacs Disease, so he can't digest gluten. And, I have friends who are gluten-free just because they follow the latest dietary fads. If you pay attention to your body, it will tell you what to eat, and more important, what NOT to eat.

CD

Last edited:
(Moderation, be nice)
There was a time I used to enjoy it here, but in the last year - maybe two years - I've cut way back on posting on DC. I know others who have done the same. It's really for one reason, and I'm just going to come out and say it: there are times you suck every bit of fun out of this forum with your constant berating and air of superiority.

(Moderation)

Once again, I'm out of here. Bye folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, I'm out of here. Bye folks.

Steve, dont go man, I just got back here and you are a detailed active writer far as I can tell, and a nice guy. I was looking forward to sharing and communicating with you and others.

I left over 2 years ago for the same reason, I let certain people get under my skin. I dont intend to let that happen again, I am above that BS now.

(moderation - Be nice!)

I plan to read, comment and share cooking adventures with pics as I go on, thats why I came back, I enjoy that; and I've recently been doing Atkins style low carb, so much of what I'm doing in the kitchen is right up the alley of this new fledgling forum.

So please dont leave. Let the rest of us enjoy your posts and ignore the nitpickers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom