Kerrygold garlic and herb butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
I was at QFC the other day and they had Kerrygold butter on sale for $3.49/ half lb. Since regular butter is $5.99 and I needed butter like a week ago, I figured so what's an extra dollar?

Anyway, I also bought a quarter pound of Kerrygold garlic and herb butter for $2.50 which I'd never seen before.

I ended up not liking it that much. I put it on crackers and I just couldn't get used to the taste. I could taste the butter and I could taste the garlic but they just wouldn't come together in my mouth. Every time I bit down my mouth was expecting garlic and herb cheese and when I didn't taste that, it was a little weird.

I tried it a couple of times, but finally ended up passing it to a neighbor.

Has anyone else tried this and what did you think if you did?

Not usually in the market for garlic butter, rarely buy it and I honestly don't recognize the name Kerrygold. But the only use I have had for it was to make garlic bread - spread on bread and toasted/melted, often with parm sprinkled on top.

LOL - truthfully? can't imagine just eating it on crackers.

Question for all:
Is that something common with a lot of you?

Like you, dragn, I would use it only for making garlic toast...although, I could see using it under the skin of some bird or another?

On the other hand, the garlic & herb cheese is one of my weaknesses, especially at holidays, RR!! Yummy stuff!

Kerrygold is considered a premium butter, as it is advertised as an Irish/European style butter with a higher fat percentage.

I would have cooked with the garlic and herb butter personally, even something as just plain rice or pasta, maybe a rice pilaf or some onions sauteed in the butter with pasta and Parm.

We make our own garlic butter for garlic bread. When we have some leftover, we cook with it. It can also be used as a compound butter, where you but a cold blob on a steak. It can also be used on potatoes, especially baked potatoes.

I was at QFC the other day and they had Kerrygold butter on sale for $3.49/ half lb. Since regular butter is $5.99 and I needed butter like a week ago, I figured so what's an extra dollar?

Anyway, I also bought a quarter pound of Kerrygold garlic and herb butter for $2.50 which I'd never seen before.

I ended up not liking it that much. I put it on crackers and I just couldn't get used to the taste. I could taste the butter and I could taste the garlic but they just wouldn't come together in my mouth. Every time I bit down my mouth was expecting garlic and herb cheese and when I didn't taste that, it was a little weird.

I tried it a couple of times, but finally ended up passing it to a neighbor.

Has anyone else tried this and what did you think if you did?

Is that $5.99 for American butter for a half pound? I pay less than that for a full pound of Land-O-Lakes -- and my butter has a lower carbon footprint.

LOL Butter.JPG

CD

I was referring to Kerrygold, which is made in Ireland. It has to travel 4,470 miles to get from Ireland to Dallas. Land-O-Lakes only travels 930 miles to get to my grocery store.

CD

I've been buying Kerrygold garlic & herb butter in single sticks.
I use it on steamed vegetables, very yummy.
As @medtran49 mentioned, on plain pasta and under the skins of poultry.
But like @taxlady said, mostly, I make my own Compound Butter and keep it in the freezer.

Compound butters are so easy to make, I can't see any reason to buy garlic and herb butter.

CD

Convenience comes to mind, :ROFLMAO: especially after a long day, on your way home and you suddenly realize you don't have any, and guests will be arriving shortly after you.
Just one less thing on the list.

But, as said, I usually "try" to keep some in the freezer, but you know that ruddy road of 'good intentions' . I've hit those pot-holes many a times.

There are a number of "convenience" items I like to keep on hand. Salsa, for one. While I won't serve store-bought salsa to use as a dip, I'll certainly keep it on hand and use it to make quick work of taco fillings, beef, chicken, and so on. I do keep store-bought "garlic butter" on hand too. Shhhhhhhhh! Some things are just between us, right? ;)

Kerrygold butter has been around here for 30 years. It’s ok. I’d rather use Danish butter or French butter if I’m going to pay a premium.

I agree with whomever said that making compound/favored butter yourself is better and easier. It was one of the first things my mom let me make. I was 4. I still make it all the time.

Kerrygold is a brand in most supermarkets in the UK (being right next to Ireland). I have never seen the garlic version though. (Like most people here, I would just tend to make my own garlic butter.)

I have the feeling that if I didn't like the garlic butter on crackers, I probably wouldn't like it on garlic bread. It just had this "off" taste to it I didn't expect.

Is that $5.99 for American butter for a half pound? I pay less than that for a full pound of Land-O-Lakes -- and my butter has a lower carbon footprint.

No, that's for a full pound. The $3.49 was for a half pound of Kerrygold, which ends up being almost $7/pound. That's why I decided the extra dollar wasn't worth saving. I guess I may as well enjoy that pound of Kerrygold. I have the feeling that extra dollar may mean a lot in the future. LOL

Back
Top Bottom