Joy of Cooking Recipe error?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karris

Assistant Cook
In the latest edition, page 671 is a recipe for Peach Custard Pie Cockaigne. After putting it in the oven I couldn't help but wonder why the filling was only halfway up the pie shell.

Then, it occurred to me that there was no dairy in this recipe. It's supposed to be a custard pie, but includes only a single egg mixed with melted butter, sugar and a bit of flour. Pie is out of the oven but I can't imagine it's right, with no cream. Other custard pies include quite a few more eggs, so perhaps this is a different type of custard? Any thoughts?

I probably have a different edition. There is a recipe for "Open-Faced Peach Custard Pie" with the same ingredients; egg, butter, sugar, and flour. No cream. Looked for "cockaigne" and found the explanation below related to a similarly named dish by the original authors.
https://inthevintagekitchen.com/tag/plum-cake-cockaigne/ said:
Plum Cake Cockaigne (pronounced caw-cane) was a favorite recipe in the Rombauer household. The word cockaigne was a term of endearment in the cookbook and was tacked onto various recipes throughout the Joy of Cooking as a way to signify the absolute personal favorite recipes of the Rombauer clan. Derived from old French, cockaigne literally refers to a mythical land of plentiful luxury, comfort, and peace. Such a dreamy notion of an ideal paradise was so charming to the Rombauers it was also the name they chose for their country estate.

from the third printing, 1976...
note the "add milk to make 1/2 cup"

Attachments

• peachpie.jpg
    peachpie.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 114
Back
Top Bottom