Joy of Cooking: New Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a really old edition of JOC. It might be one of the first editions, I'd have to go back and look.

With the internet, is that cookbook still relevant?

Really asking. I have only looked at older versions in thrift stores and such. I have always equated it with cooking in the 60's. Old, tired recipes and jello molds.

Of course, I haven't really paid much attention when I did look in it, just cursory glances.

With the internet, is that cookbook still relevant?

Really asking. I have only looked at older versions in thrift stores and such. I have always equated it with cooking in the 60's. Old, tired recipes and jello molds.

Of course, I haven't really paid much attention when I did look in it, just cursory glances.
"The Internet" is a gigantic place with more bad information than good, imo. It can be difficult, especially for beginner cooks, to find reliable sources and use them regularly, because so many people just say "Google it!" That gets you what's most popular rather than what's most accurate. So I think having reliable references like JoC is valuable, and I'm sure they've updated it with modern cooking trends.

That said, I don't own that book and never have; I was given the Betty Crocker and the Better Homes & Gardens cookbooks when I got my first apartment. But I have quite a collection now and I buy more because I like to read cookbooks like novels. If they have good stories, I'm in. I do try to find used copies, though.

"The Internet" is a gigantic place with more bad information than good, imo. It can be difficult, especially for beginner cooks, to find reliable sources and use them regularly, because so many people just say "Google it!" That gets you what's most popular rather than what's most accurate.

+1

So true. I have gotten more bad recipes and info from bloggers than I ever got from cookbooks. Every blogger claims to be an expert and always has "the best" recipe. They are not tested by anyone other than themselves. They often perpetuate cooking myths that have log ago been debunked.

Often the balance of flavors can be off because of personal taste of the blogger - some may have a sweet tooth, don't like heat, don't understand the need for acid, etc. Professional cookbook writers and their editorial & testing staff create recipes for the mainstream, without those biases.

Not all internet sites are bad, but it can take a lot of trial and error to find the reliable ones. Not surprisingly, the better ones are usually connected to a writer/publisher of cookbooks & magazines.

+1

So true. I have gotten more bad recipes and info from bloggers than I ever got from cookbooks. Every blogger claims to be an expert and always has "the best" recipe. They are not tested by anyone other than themselves. They often perpetuate cooking myths that have log ago been debunked.

Often the balance of flavors can be off because of personal taste of the blogger - some may have a sweet tooth, don't like heat, don't understand the need for acid, etc. Professional cookbook writers and their editorial & testing staff create recipes for the mainstream, without those biases.

Not all internet sites are bad, but it can take a lot of trial and error to find the reliable ones. Not surprisingly, the better ones are usually connected to a writer/publisher of cookbooks & magazines.

I always take a good look at the stars. Five first. When you first click on them, all the stars rating show. If there are more three or less, I go right on my way. I quickly change my mind on what I have on hand and can use it for in other dishes.

I always get a good laugh out of the recipes that say, "I swapped the sugar for the pink sugar, (diet sugar) the butter for oleo, olive oil for veggie oil, etc. You get the idea. That is certainly not the recipe I have been looking for. If I don't have all the ingredients, then I go on to another dish.

But I have quite a collection now and I buy more because I like to read cookbooks like novels. If they have good stories, I'm in. I do try to find used copies, though.

Im the same.
When Im going away on vacation, I often get a new cookbook ( or sometimes a few new cooking magazines) to read during off time or relaxing time)

It has a fem new recipes, but nothing new on how to cook. Forget it if you hae one.

Which edition are you comparing it to? I liked the one that came out in the 1970s. It was my "cooking encyclopedia" for years. It really didn't hurt that I got it while I was living in the country and we were dealing with freshly killed wild game and JOC had info about cleaning and butchering game. It also had info on jams and jellies and safe canning, another thing that was highly relevant to me and I had no previous experience with. I used to say that it might not have the best recipe for something, but it would be a good recipe and it would work. I would probably learn something in the process.

I hated the one that came after. They left out some of the good, old recipes. It felt like they got some professional cooks in to update it and the pros often said, "No one wants that." without considering that it's a cookbook for regular people, not just foodies. A lot of people didn't like that one as much.

I read that the newest one was a return to what made JOC such a kitchen standard, but updated. If it's just a few new recipes, then it's of no interest. If it's an up-to-date "cooking encyclopedia", then I am interested.

taxlady

Joy is great for two reasons 1] lots of recipes and 2] instructions on how to cook. I've had 3 editions of joy, original, some thing more recent, and the most recent. All most recent does is add 400 more recopies to earlier post original versions.

I agree, the cooking lessons are what makes joy essential.

In my era, the Joy of Cooking was considered an essential gift for all newly weds.

I have 2 of my mothers (think my sister has her original edition) plus my own 'wedding gift' edition. Covers are missing and some pages on the 1st one. I had checked the dates of issue at one point. Still in storage though.

"The Internet" is a gigantic place with more bad information than good, imo. It can be difficult, especially for beginner cooks, to find reliable sources and use them regularly, because so many people just say "Google it!" That gets you what's most popular rather than what's most accurate. So I think having reliable references like JoC is valuable, and I'm sure they've updated it with modern cooking trends.

+2

“The internet” is packed full of bad recipes posted by unreliable sources. And YouTube videos created by people who have no idea how to cook.

The blind leading the blind...

At this point in my life I hardly ever need recipes once I have made something once or twice. But I rely on cookbooks written by experienced chefs/cooks for ideas and for recipes to follow the first time out.

Most of my cookbooks are on my kindle, although I probably have maybe 200 in real form .

I have an older JoC, but have no use for updated versions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom