Jim under the weather - Day 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Hi All!

Ah, the city last night was beautiful. The ride in was fine, no traffic on the helix into the Lincoln Tunnel. That's because everyone was already creating massive amounts of grid lock on 48th street. It took 20 minutes to traverse one city block in the car. After witnessing the light turn green for the 8th time I was prepared to just leave it in the middle of the road, go see the tree, and be back before the line of cars moved. We did manage to find a tiny lot just half a block past 9th ave. Bundled to our eye teeth, we hit the pavement. It was extremely festive. When Lou pulled out a flask of Bushmills Irish Whiskey, my dad, while shocked, took it when offered. Marianne, on the other hand turned us down cold. Literally. She had a nice pair of trousers on, but clearly they were too large for her. I commented on this before we left the house. She said she lost some weight since she purchased them. I asked, in return, if she lost some height, too....they were very very long. Mom's a diminutive woman, so it's not too hard to have trousers too long.

We were all in good spirits, again, literally (except Marianne) as we rounded the corner and saw the tree in all it's glory and twinkly goodness. Marianne mentioned they had special LD lights, or was it LTD lights.. She kept changing what she called them. Which reminds me...before we parked the car, she wanted to know if we were in the trifecta part of NYC. Tribeca? I asked..... No, we're not in Tribeca. We're not in Trifecta, either, for that matter. We're in Midtown. They loved the tree, as did Lou and I. She wanted to see the skaters and I told her we'd need a sickle and a scythe to get through the crowd to see them. She opted to go to St. Patrick's cathedral, instead.

As we crossed the street onto 5th, and found ourselves in front of Saks, all pedestrian traffic came to a grinding halt. If there could be an ant out on an evening like last night, that ant would have gotten to the end of the block about a year before we were going to get to the end. To say we were shuffling along would be a lie. Shuffling would be too quick an adverb. At the rate we were going both my dad and Lou would need a shave before we got to the end of the block. Everyone's pants would be too big by the time we got to the end due to starvation. People who decide to bring strollers out in the Rockefeller vicinity after 8am should have their head's examined. This is how claustrophobics are created. You subject some poor tot to an unmanagable throng of people while tethered and strapped into a tiny chair on wheels, nothing in their line of vision except legs and then wonder why junior can't handle crowds when he's older. I could see Marianne getting ready to freak out. I, personally was ready to just start moving forward, prepared to risk life and limb to open this bottleneck when Lou restrained me. He insisted it would cause a riot that would rival WalMart on Black Friday. My mother was saying to forget St. Patrick's, but by that time, it was too late. We were blocked in from the rear, as well. I told her we had no choice but to try to move forward. I held onto Lou, she held onto me, and my dad took up the rear. It took over 10 minutes to walk one of the small city blocks.
Recession?? Where?? Not in NYC, not last night. She finally got to St. Patrick's and practically flew inside. She was out just as quick. Apparently, mass was being held and the churce was at tourist capacity.
We got a few more looks at the tree from other angles as we made our way to Delta Grill.

Magnificent dinner, great drinks and our table was right next to the fireplace. Everyone ate well and we were home by 10. They stayed up with Lou and I for a while, watching the Cotton Club, but they retired soon after. It was just past midnight when I heard the sounds of porcelain worship and the inevitable gush of flushing water. Seems Jim had been suffering from a bit of traveler's constipation, but a brisk walk, a bit of booze and some creole cooking unstuck him. And then some. I felt awful for him. He's not one to get sick so it was heartbreaking to hear it . He's been taking it easy today, getting his sea legs, as it were.

Marianne raked some leave to day. Seems they miss raking leaves; nothing ever falls off the trees in Florida. I recall recently that someone here at DC had a problem with the neighbour's leaves falling onto their property. If that's still a problem, Marianne and Jim are available for raking, bagging and all around grounds keeping. You just have to pick them up and bring them back home when they are done.

I made dinner earlier. I cook early on Sunday so Lou can take food home (on the sunday's when he cannot stay) to enjoy later. I made the pernil, pigeon peas and rice, collard greens and fried plantains. Mom just brushed her teeth....don't know why she'd do that before dinner, but she did it. She just popped her head in here, and oh, what a minty fresh breeze she created.

We'll take a walk tonight, after it's dark. Gotta get some fresh air and go see the christmas displays around town. My father is the diplomatic one, he'll love them all. My mother and I...we'll be the ones wondering how many more years so and so is going to drag that old tired lawn ornament out, etc... It makes her laugh, so it's a worthfhile endeavour. Maybe a thermos of hot chocolate will be in order for the walk. Mine will be the one with the whiskey in it.

Thak you - I've been looking forward to this post all day. You definitely should be writing for a living, you have a great readable style,

Yes!!!! I too think you should write for a living....you make it so enjoyable and one feels that they're there with you!.....hope Jim is feeling better!

I prayed for you at Saturday's Mass...Looks like it worked...you're still with us, as are Marianne & Jim. :LOL: Will continue to petition the Almighty for the survival of you and your charges.

Joe

Didn't get to see this installment earlier-I was at the dog track, had a hot tip on a Tribeca in the third race!:LOL:

Didn't get to see this installment earlier-I was at the dog track, had a hot tip on a Tribeca in the third race!:LOL:
The funny thing is, I don't believe she ever knew the correct word, so ti's not really an age thing, you know..?

Back
Top Bottom