Jalapenos - need to preserve! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New here, so please excuse me if I repeat what´s already been said. Jalapeños in Escabeche is a great idea for preserving the chiles - slice them into four lengthways, add a little sliced carrot, onion and garlic, black peppercorns, oregano, thyme, vinegar and oil. The oil will eventually make the jalapeños hotter. Lovely!
Alternately, make nachos: just slice the jalapeños in rounds, put them in a clean glass jar, add a tsp of sugar and a tsp of salt and cover with boiling vinegar. Leave for about a month before using.
If anyone´s interested, I´ve got a recipe somewhere for Jalapeño Jelly. Great with creamy cheeses!

Thanks karade!

:rolleyes: With all these great ideas I just might have to go to the market and get more than my poor single plant supplies! ;) :LOL:

I'm using pickled jalapenos on pizza, works really well. Sliced into like 3mm thick (should be about 0.1 inch) rings with the seeds in.

Some can them. I am not sure what brine or whatever but it seems to preserve it. ... I looked it up, as expected and it seems like salt, vinegar and whatever, some with sugar.

T

Termy, if a pepper is preserved with vinegar/lemon juice, then it is water bath canned, if it is not in a vinegar/lemon juice brine then it is pressure canned. There is also canning it as a sauce, a hot sauce or an enchilada sauce. There is also preserving with dehydrating for pepper powder or flakes. Or freezing diced frozen peppers. Another option is fermenting it and keeping it active at room temperature or refrigerated. Lots of options.

I buy jalopy peppers by the bagful. 17 to 20 in a bag. I take half, gut them and julienne them, and the other half I slice into rings with the seeds and ribs intact. I then freeze them in two separate bags. The rounds I use for sandwiches and pizzas and the julienned ones I will dice or chop them for recipes.

A chile pepper burns because of an enzyme, capsaicin.
The pepper ( botanically speaking) has 3 elements: the seeds, the placenta (vein) and the flesh (fruit). The hottest part is the vein; the second hottest, the flesh.
Capsaicin is soluble in oil, but NOT in water, which is why a hot pepper burns more if you drink water or beer. However, if you preserve the pepper in brine, or in vinegar, it seems to dull the heat ( and no, I don´t know the scientific answer, I simply know through having done it 20,000 times). If the preserving mixture has oil in it ( as in Escabeche), the "heat" of the chile becomes more intense. I suppose that´s because the oil absorbs the capsaicin.
As Blissful said, there are amny ways of preserving chiles. Currently, I´ve got a large batch of Naga Jolokia in the freezer - whole - and a Naga Jolokia powder. My Rocoto peppers have been cleaned, de-seeded and frozen, until I decide what to do with them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom