Italian Sausage Hogie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I have never been to Boston or Philly.

but I bought a bunch of mild Italian sausages, and Bollilo Roles , which are sort of crusty 6 inch fat rolls, crusty outside, but soft middle..

Are these just grilled Sausages with peppers and oninion and oil? or is there suposed to be like provalone cheese and red sauce?

Cunfused as usual, Eric, Austin Tx.

Being an Italian born in Philly, I actually ate quite of few of these.

If you have your sausages, and bell-peppers and onions pan grilled in OO, you have the basics done. You can add other things, including provolone, but I am happy with just the sausage peppers and onions. Your peppers and onions should be pretty well caramelized. No sauce that I can recall.

A bollilo is a good choice of bread for Texas. It's close enough.

CD

Last edited:
Boston or Philly Italians? Marone a mi.

Let me tell yous sumptin. Philly Italians know oon-gatz about good Italian food.

You got a good start with the sausage and rolls. Now, brown the sausage in olive oil, set aside, then in the same pan trow in some sliced peppers, sliced oninions (whatever yous call dem in Texas), and chopped gahlic.

Cook everything for just a minute, then trow the sausages back in the pan and let everything finish cooking.

Yous don't want to overcook them so they're a sloppy mess tho.

Slice the rolls in half, hollow out a little of the inside, and fill. Top with a thick fingered sprinkle of grated Romano cheese. Grated Locatelli, if you can find it.

Yous can have some gravy on the side fpr people who like it that way.

Capeesh?

:cool:

We call them subs in Boston. Not hoagies.

They are grilled/griddled/sauteed sweet or hot Italian sausages with grilled/griddled/sauteed peppers and onions on a crusty roll.

No cheese. No oil. No sauce.

Last edited:
aaa.png

Head a short distance to the western part of the state and you will hear grinder. Hoagies are found in Philly.

Here's some entertaining reading about the names:

https://newengland.com/today/living/new-england-nostalgia/spukies-subs-grinders-sandwich-names/

https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kit...-of-hoagies-grinders-subs-heroes-and-spuckies

They use "grinder" occasionally here but never "hoagie."

Once in awhile you'll hear them called a "spuckie"

Aren't grinder and spuckie more Rhode Island terms?

My BIL, born and raised in a Boston suburb, used 'spuckie' when I first met him but changed over the years to call them subs.

Giggler, thanks for inspiring me to make some of these, for the guys lunches. The vegetables and meat sliced up in an 8 oz microwave deli container, with a bun separate, to assemble at work. I didn't have italian sausage but I used a bratwurst w/cheese. Yum.

Around Philly, including South Jersey, people call them hoagies. Around NYC, including North Jersey, people call them subs.

By the way BT, when you live in Texas, and want a hoagie/sub/whatever, you have to use substitutions when it comes to the bread. You can't get hoagie/sub/whatever rolls that are just like what you can get up there.

CD

Around Philly, including South Jersey, people call them hoagies. Around NYC, including North Jersey, people call them subs.

By the way BT, when you live in Texas, and want a hoagie/sub/whatever, you have to use substitutions when it comes to the bread. You can't get hoagie/sub/whatever rolls that are just like what you can get up there.

CD

As mentioned, out here you can find Bollilo Roles that work great. Add Torta to the list of great sandwiches on a roll.

Hmmm...this caused me to think a bit. Here out west, I hear them most often called 'subs'. But in the bread aisle at Albertsons, they're called 'hoagie' rolls.

Anyhow, like Beth said...I'm inspired by this thread and have sliced bells and onions sautéing, took some Brats and "French/Hoagie/whatever" rolls out of the freezer, and that's what's for dinner. :yum::LOL:

Thanks, Eric! :chef::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom