Italian/French/Spanish Fusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Ever make Spanish rice? Well, this is somewhat similar. It is a hearty mixture of Spanish, French, and Italian flavors, but uses no rice. It uses orzo instead. It's rib-sticking, fill your tummy with comfort kind of dinner; and it tastes really good. Serve with some simply seasoned white beans, and carnitas, and you have a meal that everyone will enjoy.
Not sure what to call this dish. Ideas are welcome. This recipe is a new creation. Feel free to experiment with it. Maybe we should call it - DC Fusion Creation:yum:.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup uncooked Orzo
  • 1/4 cup pearl barley
    • 2 1/2 cups chicken stock/broth
  • 10 Kalamata olives, sliced
  • 10 black olives, sliced
  • 1 cup crushed San Marzano tomatoes
  • 2 stalk celery, sliced
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chiffonade
  • 1/2 yellow onion, rustic chopped
  • 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
    • 2 paseíllo chilies, chopped
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 cup Spanish Chorizo slices
  • 1/2 cup Andouille sausage slices
  • 2 tbs. cooking oil.

Heat oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the sausage slices. Stir to lightly brown. Add onion, garlic, chilies, and herbs. Cook until the onions are translucent. Add the olives, celery, and parsley, along with the chicken stock, and barley. Bring to a simmer and cook for ten minutes. Add the tomato, and orzo. Simmer ten more minutes. Stir to distribute all ingredients.

Now I have to be honest. I have only prepared this recipe in my head. However, I have the ability to put together ingredients, in my mind, and taste them before actually making a dish. I know that all of these flavors work well together. You might want to taste, and adjust the seasonings. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sorta Mediterranean.
Isn't orzo Greek?

Looks good, Chief. This would be a great side for braised lamb shanks.

Sorta Mediterranean.
Isn't orzo Greek?

Looks good, Chief. This would be a great side for braised lamb shanks.

Yes, but also from a lot of other cuisines. According to Wikipedia:

Orzo is essentially identical to the κριθαράκι/μανέστρα (kritharáki, little barley, or manestra -when soup-) in Greek cuisine, arpa şehriye ("barley noodle") in Turkish cooking, and لسان العصفور (lisān al-ʿuṣfūr, "songbird tongue") in Arabic cooking. In Spain, the equivalent pasta is called piñones. Confusion may arise from the fact that piñones is also the Spanish word for pine nuts. Ptitim is a rice-grain-shaped pasta developed in the 1950s in Israel as a substitute for rice.

My father despised rice, so any of my recipes that required rice when I cooked for him would have orzo instead. Have you ever tried Orzo Hoppin' John?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom