Italian Fennel Sausage..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Acquired a new sausage stuffer for home..it sure makes life a lot easier..we had been using attachments for the Kitchen Aid...this one can stuff about 5 lbs in a few minutes...

Attachments

• 78141043_448236645885932_3167187580756164608_n.jpg
    78141043_448236645885932_3167187580756164608_n.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 173
Very nice. Is the this your first batch? Looks like they turned out great.
The first batch with this stuffer, yes...thanks..I do up 5 lb batches..I did a double batch this time for the freezer and the kids...I cheated a bit and used ground pork from the supermarket...they are a bit lean but still pretty good..

Neato, looks good. Is that a hot or a mild sausage?

Do you mind sharing your recipe? I have a recipe for mild Italian sausage with fennel. I like to see other recipes and could use one for the hot version.

Neato, looks good. Is that a hot or a mild sausage?

Do you mind sharing your recipe? I have a recipe for mild Italian sausage with fennel. I like to see other recipes and could use one for the hot version.
Sure, it is mild sausage..quite basic...I usually go with 5 lb batches so I know the salt amount to add all of the time..
5 lb ground pork(you decide how fatty or lean you want)
2 Tblsp Kosher salt
1 Tblsp fennel seed
1 Tblsp ground black pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper..

I like to use the bread hook on my mixer to blend it for 1 to 2 minutes..this really binds the meat and creates a nice texture when the sausages are cooked...
I'm sure you know all of the other important tips..like keeping everything as cold as you can through out the whole process..
For hot sausage, just double or triple the crushed red pepper depending on the degree you want...

I think I might try mild and hot Italian sausage next go round of andouille. Looks good! Did you get or do you have a grinder?

Sure, it is mild sausage..quite basic...I usually go with 5 lb batches so I know the salt amount to add all of the time..
5 lb ground pork(you decide how fatty or lean you want)
2 Tblsp Kosher salt
1 Tblsp fennel seed
1 Tblsp ground black pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper..

I like to use the bread hook on my mixer to blend it for 1 to 2 minutes..this really binds the meat and creates a nice texture when the sausages are cooked...
I'm sure you know all of the other important tips..like keeping everything as cold as you can through out the whole process..
For hot sausage, just double or triple the crushed red pepper depending on the degree you want...
When you grind the pork yourself what cut do you use?
Shoulder/butt? Where would I get extra fat to add?

Last edited:
I think I might try mild and hot Italian sausage next go round of andouille. Looks good! Did you get or do you have a grinder?
I do have a grinder, but sometimes I use Costco ground pork..it is a bit lean, but if you beat the bejeezus out of it you can still get a nice texture..normally, I would go 70-30 lean to fat..but sometimes I am lazy..lol..

You can also save pork fat from trimmings off a butt or shoulder that is being braised or roasted, freeze it, then while partially frozen, grind it in the food processor and add it to store bought ground pork. Some groceries that do their own butchering will also give/sell you trimmings.

You can also save pork fat from trimmings off a butt or shoulder that is being braised or roasted, freeze it, then while partially frozen, grind it in the food processor and add it to store bought ground pork. Some groceries that do their own butchering will also give/sell you trimmings.
Absolutely..I've seen some recipes that call for the addition of ground bacon..it adds a bit of a smokey flavor along with the additional fat...but, be careful you don't get bacon with maple flavor added, unless you want that in your finished product...

Many recipes I've come across say that shoulder/butt is the perfect fat to lean ratio for sausage...

I've never made my own pork sausage, but I have heard the same thing about using pork butt, and it makes a lot of sense. The store bought ground pork around here is pretty lean. When I get around to actually making my own pork sausage, I'm thinking I'll grind some pork butt.

If you do it, let us know how it turns out.

CD

I've never made my own pork sausage, but I have heard the same thing about using pork butt, and it makes a lot of sense. The store bought ground pork around here is pretty lean. When I get around to actually making my own pork sausage, I'm thinking I'll grind some pork butt.

If you do it, let us know how it turns out.

CD

That is what I usually do. Seems to work fine. I think what is more important is the primary bind stage. The mixing of the meat and fat can make a big difference. If you don’r mix it vigorously enough the fat melts away during cooking and you get a grainy texture

Sausage, especially if eaten on its own, has to have enough fat in it. Otherwise, it doesn't taste very good and is very dense. Been there, done that when we first started making sausage and thought lean sausage would be a good thing. It's not.

We've gotten in the habit of cooking a small amount of sausage once it's all mixed to taste it before stuffing. There's been a time or 2 we've gone back and added more fat and/or more seasonings when trying a new recipe.

Sausage, especially if eaten on its own, has to have enough fat in it. Otherwise, it doesn't taste very good and is very dense. Been there, done that when we first started making sausage and thought lean sausage would be a good thing. It's not.

We've gotten in the habit of cooking a small amount of sausage once it's all mixed to taste it before stuffing. There's been a time or 2 we've gone back and added more fat and/or more seasonings when trying a new recipe.
Will you share your favorite flavorful basic sausage recipe please.

Does anyone have any experience using a food processor to mince the meat for sausage? Does it work okay? Any special tips?

Does anyone have any experience using a food processor to mince the meat for sausage? Does it work okay? Any special tips?
I am interested in that also.

I had the attachment for my KA but have lost track of it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom