ISO Veal Parmesan help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I tried this before and I thought the veal came out chewy. I don't have much experience with veal. I can make a great chicken parm though. :rolleyes:

Please give me some ideas on how to cook veal parm? Temperature?, how long? ect. Also, what should I look for when I'm at the super market.

I'm assuming I still dip it in an egg mixture and than bread crumbs and possibly fry it for a minute or two on each side like I do the chicken....before putting it in the oven with the sauce and cheese.

I have never cooked (or eaten, actually) veal so I won't be of much help, but what you said makes sense to me. Hopefully someone with some experience cooking veal will be able to help you.

:) Barbara

legend_018 said:
I tried this before and I thought the veal came out chewy. I don't have much experience with veal. I can make a great chicken parm though. :rolleyes:

Please give me some ideas on how to cook veal parm? Temperature?, how long? ect. Also, what should I look for when I'm at the super market.

I'm assuming I still dip it in an egg mixture and than bread crumbs and possibly fry it for a minute or two on each side like I do the chicken....before putting it in the oven with the sauce and cheese.
Legend,
when I shop for veal, I buy cutlets, even though they are sliced fairly thin I still use a mallet and pound them as thin as possible without cutting or tearing the meat. I then dust in flour, then dip into beaten egg, then bread crumbs I've added finely chopped flat leaf parsley to and some finely grated fresh parmeasan cheese... I let them sit at least a half hour and make sure to cover with parchment paper and them using my hands press down on the paper to help seat the bread crumbs and help keep them form falling off as I cook them. I get either a large skillet or large electric skillet fairly hot add evoo, and some butter and put in my veal cutlets so they don't touch, cook about one minute, turn, cook another min then remove from pan to baking sheet with sides..then just continue as you would with your chicken parm..Hope this helps a little, If there is anything I'm not clear on, please let me know and I'll try to help more.

kadesma:)

Yep. What Kadesma said. The veal may have been tough, if it was too thick. After you bread the cutlets, you can put them on a plate with wax paper in the fridge for about 1/2 hour for the crumbs to set up. I dip the cutlets in a mixture of egg and milk. Then you can finish them in a baking dish in the oven (about 350), with the sauce and cheese for about 15-20 mins - till everything is heated through & the cheese is melted.

I also pound the veal, even if it's sliced thin. Veal cutlets are usually sliced from the leg and can be tough, expecially if sliced with the grain of the meat rather than across. The pounding ensures tenderness.

I think sticking it in the oven is what made it tough. Veal is a moist, tender, delicate cut of meat. Baking will dry it out.

I pound the cultlets thin, dredge in flour, dip in egg, and roll in a mixture of breadcrumbs, seasonings, and parmigiana cheese, then sauté for 3 or 4 minutes a side until done, then I put mozzarella cheese on top and put a lid on the pan until the mozzarella melts. Plate it and pour a scoop of sauce over it, if desired.

Last edited:
Caine said:
I think sticking it in the oven is what made it tough. Veal is a moist, tender, delicate cut of meat. Baking will dry it out...

For the short time it's in the oven to melt the cheese, I don't think it's a problem.

I ended up dipping them in egg/milk and than breadcrumbs. I fryed them in little oil for 1 minute each side. I than baked them in the oven with the sauce and cheese. I was afraid of it overcooking so after 10 minutes I checked and they were not done yet. I ended up checking what felt like a bunch of times "lol". I think in the end it turned out to be 20 minutes. The oven was on 375 I think. It was earlier this week and now I forget. "lol". I think they were a little thicker than the last time I had cooked them.

They did come out very good though!!!

Next time, consider just putting them under the broiler to quickly melt the cheese. For thin cutlets, they will be done just a few minutes in a skillet.

Ditto what Andy said.

You want to pound out the veal until it's as thin as can be, without ripping or tearing the meat. Bread and fry, completely cooking the veal when you fry it. Place the cutlets/scallopini into something that can withstand the oven, top with a little hot marinara, some cheese, and put it into the broiler for a minute or two, just until the cheese melts.

Back
Top Bottom