ISO TNT favourite way to make lamb shanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Besides the lamb ribs, I now have lamb shanks. What's your favourite way to make lamb shanks (help! I haven't had lamb shanks for years).

I don't really have a recipe I use, but they are unbelievably easy to cook, and very forgiving. Shanks lend themselves to long slow braising in liquid. I typically sear them first. Then I put together a tomato based sauce in a heavy Dutch oven with wine, Italian herbs, bay leaf, and plenty of garlic. If I have potatoes, carrots, and/or mushrooms on hand, I'll throw some of those in as well. Add the shanks (they don't have to be fully submerged, but if not you'll need to turn them occasionally), cover, and cook on a low simmer for 2 to 3 hours until the meat is falling off the bone. Optionally, you can also put the whole thing into a 400F oven. It will take about the same amount of time.

A lot of pot roast recipes are also easily adapted for lamb shanks.

Last edited:
My parents put them in a pressure cooker

I'll tell on myself that I have NEVER prepared lamb shanks but my parents put them in a pressure cooker and they came out delicious and tender.

I don't really have a recipe I use, but they are unbelievably easy to cook, and very forgiving. Shanks lend themselves to long slow braising in liquid. I typically sear them first. Then I put together a tomato based sauce in a heavy Dutch oven with wine, Italian herbs, bay leaf, and plenty of garlic. If I have potatoes, carrots, and/or mushrooms on hand, I'll throw some of those in as well. Add the shanks (they don't have to be fully submerged, but if not you'll need to turn them occasionally), cover, and cook on a low simmer for 2 to 3 hours until the meat is falling off the bone. Optionally, you can also put the whole thing into a 400F oven. It will take about the same amount of time.

A lot of pot roast recipes are also easily adapted for lamb shanks.
Thanks, Steve. I'm going to fly off this recipe for inspiration:

Persian-style lamb and rhubarb stew Recipe | delicious. Magazine free recipes

Since it is rhubarb season. I'm going to be adding chickpeas and few other things...

Here's a tried and true recipe from my files...

Braised Lamb Shanks in Wine and Olives.

Four large lamb shanks
One large can of "ready cut" tomatoes
2 cups of Burgundy wine
5 cloves of minced garlic
one large onion, sliced and cut into half rings
one small jar of green olives, drained

Salt and pepper shanks well, and brown on all sides in a large chicken fryer pan, or dutch oven. Remove shanks, pour off most of the grease, and sauté the onion and garlic in the drippings. Add the tomatoes, wine, and olives. Place the shanks back into the pan, basting well. Simmer covered on top of stove, turning shanks several times for about 2 1/2 hours. Simmer uncovered for another 1/2 hr. to reduce the sauce, and the meat is almost falling off the bone. I served it over mashed garlic potatoes, but rice or noodles would be good too. This was really, really good!!

Kayelle

The great majority of recipes for lamb shanks include some version of what was posted here. I don't use alcohol in anything I make, and don't like the flavor of mint. So I'm trying something a little different. I'll give a report of how it turns out when it's done. Here's what I did.

Ingredients:
2 lamb shanks
salt
1/2 tsp. ground thyme
2 large carrots, washed, peeled, and cut into 8 sections each
1/4 tsp. granulated, dried garlic
1/3 lb. ground beef
1 large oninon, quatered with each quarter halved
2 stalks celery sliced into 2 inch chunks
2 cups water

Fire up the Webber. Par-boil the carrots with the celery and onion. Remove the carrots from the simmering water and set aside. Form a hamburger patty and lightly salt on both sides. When the charcoal is hot, place the carrots outside of the charcoal pile. Place the burger onto the grill, directly above the hot coals. Place the shanks on the side of the fire. Cover with all vents wide open. Cook the burger for 3 minutes per side and remove from the grill. Serve the burger, carrots, and a baked spud to my DW as she's not crazy about lamb.

Let the shanks cook another 5 minutes, then remove to the pot with the remaining onion and carrots. This pot, of course is a pressure cooker with the lid off. Add the herbs and spices, cover, bring to pressure, back off the heat until the regulator barely moves, then wait for 50 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and remove the pressure according to the appliance directions. Make gravy from the broth and serve with smashed spuds or fluffy rice, or maybe, quinoa.

Well, the time just went off, so I gotta check my lamb shanks. They smell great.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The virdict is in. The lamb shanks came our fall off the bone, melt in your mouth tender, with a touch of sweet, a tough of game flavor, and just the right amount of salt. DW said to take the second shank for myself as though she says it's pretty good, she liked the burger just as much, and I really appreciated the lamb.

I'm going to add Klusky noodles to the pot, take the 2nd shank out, and cook the noodles until just right, then add some salt and corn-starch slurry to make gravy. The meat will be removed from the bone and added back into the pot, then cooled. Guess what I'm having for lunch tomorrow. Oh, and I didn't add black pepper in case DW wanted to taste it. I believe this dish needs some black pepper too.:yum:

Lamb Shanks grilled for the smoke flavor, then pressure cooked with onion, garlic, carrot, and celery is a wonderful combination.

The virdict is in. The lamb shanks came our fall off the bone, melt in your mouth tender, with a touch of sweet, a tough of game flavor, and just the right amount of salt. DW said to take the second shank for myself as though she says it's pretty good, she liked the burger just as much, and I really appreciated the lamb.

I'm going to add Klusky noodles to the pot, take the 2nd shank out, and cook the noodles until just right, then add some salt and corn-starch slurry to make gravy. The meat will be removed from the bone and added back into the pot, then cooled. Guess what I'm having for lunch tomorrow. Oh, and I didn't add black pepper in case DW wanted to taste it. I believe this dish needs some black pepper too.:yum:

Lamb Shanks grilled for the smoke flavor, then pressure cooked with onion, garlic, carrot, and celery is a wonderful combination.

This all sounds fantastic, gonna change mine up the next time I do them (c'mon fall/winter).

I typically dust mine in flour, brown aggressively in a dutch oven, in with mirepoix, bay leaves, thyme, garlic, a little rosemary, sweat, back in with the shanks, a couple pints of Guinness, stock, simmer. When things are about 20 min out, I add peeled potatoes, and at the last minute, a handful of fresh peas.

Goes great over celery root mash, mashed potatoes(even though there are spuds in the braise), noodles, rice, parsnip puree(my fave), or even quinoa.

Just made a soup of my last lamb shanks. Can't give you accurate measurements, just guestamates. But her'e how I made the soup, and it was one of the best soups I've made, period.

Ingredients:
2 lamb shanks
2 tsp. salt
4 cups water
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1 handful pearl barley
1 cup dried navy beans
2 tbs, coarse grind, black pepper
1 ghost pepper
1 handful shredded fresh spinach.

Brown the lamb shanks. Throw everything into a pressure cooker and bring to pressure. Reduce heat until the regulator (I call it the dancer as it dances on top of the pressure regulator valve) is barely dancing. Cook for 1 hour. Serve hot.

The lamb flavor married perfectly to the beans and barley. The other flavors added such a depth of flavor. This soup was a winner.:chef::yum:

Last edited:
I like to take lamb anything (chops excluded) and make lamb stew with barley. I had never cooked lamb when the kids were growing up. Then I made it one day because shoulder chops were on sale. I had heard from so many folks that lamb has a strong taste. So I was leery. I love barley in a stew, so decided to use it with the lamb. Perfect marriage. I would think the shanks also would be great in a stew with barley. Now my whole family loves lamb. Who'da thunk it! :angel:

Lamd shanks

Low and slow cooked these last night. Not to good at this tech stuff so popped the pic were it seems to let me in the video? 325F 2 1/2 hrs

Back
Top Bottom