ISO the perfect pita

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milkdemcows

Assistant Cook
I lived in Greece for a few months a few years ago in college. So I ate a lot of pretty authentic Greek food. Now, whether being served in wedges with tzatziki or wrapping a gyro, the pitas were nothing like those dry pockets we usually find here. They were somewhat thick, chewy, some small airholes but no huge pocket - utterly delicious.

In my attempts to replicate them, I learned not to roll them too thin, and to poke them thoroughly with fork, fingers, something, to keep them from puffing (I saw that they sell rolling pins just for this purpose - they aren't smooth cylinders, rather jutting with little pyramids to roll over the flattened dough). I then cook real hot and real quick on a stone (like 500* 4-6 minutes or so). It's close, but not quite there.

What I'm curious about is what the likely flour and kneading would be. Regular wheat? Low gluten/high gluten (I question this because I've heard some say that naples pizza uses a pastry-level flour for a tender crust)? A heavily or lightly worked dough? So, any thoughts on this respect or the matter as a whole are welcome.

Hi I make pitas all the time I use standard bread flour and cook them on a non stick pan.
When I first started to make them I found that If I proved them twice that they didn't have the chewy texture so I only prove them once now and use warm milk instead of water.
It makes a great pizza base
I hope this helps
Doug

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom