ISO Sour Cream Topping for New York Cheesecake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I've made many a delicious cheesecakes. Today, I'm in the process of baking a ten incher. All the time in the past, I've topped the cheesecake with blueberry, strawberry, or apple pie filling. straight from the ca, as that's what my wife insisted on. However, my favorite topping is the sweetened sour cream topping, like from the Cheesecake Factory in Beverly Hills (I had a Brother In Law who worked there, and would sometimes bring one to his parent's house).

Does anyone have a go-to recipe for the sweetened sour cream topping for a ten inch cheesecake? I know it's simply sour cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. If you have the amounts of these ingredients, or extracts/flavors that would enhance this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This is for a 7” cheesecake so increase the amounts by maybe a half recipe more? Hope this helps.

SOUR CREAM TOPPING:

¾ Cup Sour Cream
2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Place ¾ Cup Sour Cream, 2 Tablespoons sugar and ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract into a bowl and whisk very well. The sour cream mixture should be a pourable consistency.

Pour the sour cream topping onto the hot cheesecake, tap the pan a few times onto the counter to help even out the topping and pop the air bubbles. Leave it on the counter to cool for about 1.5 hours.

Last edited:
My Mom made it this way and it is delicious... just 1 cup sour cream, 3.5 Tbsp sugar, 1 tsp vanilla. After the cake cooks, pull from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Pour on topping and return to oven for 5-10 minutes than chill for at least 5 hours.

These days I actually add sour cream to my cream cheese so I rarely make the topping.

This is for a 7” cheesecake so increase the amounts by maybe a half recipe more? Hope this helps.

SOUR CREAM TOPPING:

¾ Cup Sour Cream
2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Place ¾ Cup Sour Cream, 2 Tablespoons sugar and ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract into a bowl and whisk very well. The sour cream mixture should be a pourable consistency.

Pour the sour cream topping onto the hot cheesecake, tap the pan a few times onto the counter to help even out the topping and pop the air bubbles. Leave it on the counter to cool for about 1.5 hours.

++1:pig:

There are a whole bunch of copycat recipes on Google. Same 3 ingredients, different amounts. Some of them also sprinkled cinnamon on top.

Final results of this French Style Cheesecake. Brie cheese was added to the mix to give it a little something extra. And the sour cream topping was made with confectioner's sugar, sour cream, bourbon vanilla extract, and lime juice. It came out very creamy, and yummy.

Filling Ingredients:
32 oz. cream cheese
8 oz. softened Brie
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups table sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 1/2 tsp. bourbon vanilla extract

Topping:
2 cups sour cream
4 tbs. sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbs. lime juice

Crust:
2 cps Graham Cracker crumbs
3 tbs. castor sugar
8 tbs. melted butter

Preheat oven to 450' F.
You know how to mix it all, in separate bowls for each part. Line the bottom of a ten inch spring-form pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Fold the foil under the pan bottom. Place the pan side in place, and bring the foil up he sides to catch any drips. Press crust evenly along the bottom, and half way up the sides. Chill in freezer for ten minutes.

Remove the crust from the freezer and fill with the custard, smoothing the top. Place into your oven and bake for ten minutes. Reduce heat to 190' F., and bake for 55 minutes. Check the cheesecake at this time by jiggling the pan gently. The center should still jiggle a but, with the sides firm, and pulled slightly away from the pan sides. If it's underdone (the whole custard is loose and jiggles), cook for another 5 minutes. Continue this process until it's perfect. Turn off oven, crack open the door, and let the cheesecake cool with the oven. When it's room temp, spread sour cream topping on top, and remove pan sides. Now, you can either chill this, or serve at room temp.

Attachments

• 20210930_125453.jpg
    20210930_125453.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210930_141309.jpg
    20210930_141309.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 39
We refrigerated the cheesecake. It was almost too creamy when we first cut unto it, firm enough to stand on its ow, but very soft. Now, after a day in the fridge, it's firmer, and somehow tastes better as well. Give this recipe a try. You won't be disappointed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom