ISO sauce recomendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heck, who needs a forum?

If Charlie is strict in his Kosher ways, then he could never serve a dairy sauce with a meat filling, but he said it wasn't a problem. You might want to read up on current Jewish cultures, GG.

Or you could just let Charlie answer a question asked of him.

What is the matter with you? I'm telling you what Charlie has said here many times. Do you think I'm making it up?

Since when do you get to tell people what they can respond to?

Charlie responded with something that didn't fit with being strictly Kosher, so I asked him a question. There is a fairly deep understanding of Judaism that I was curious about (hence what I edited in about mitzvoth, for clarity), but for some reason you felt a need to answer for him. That was my problem.

Charlie responded with something that didn't fit with being strictly Kosher, so I asked him a question. There is a fairly deep understanding of Judaism that I was curious about (hence what I edited in about mitzvoth, for clarity), but for some reason you felt a need to answer for him. That was my problem.

Shockingly, I thought you wanted to know. I don't understand why that's a problem for you but whatever.

Last edited:
Addie mentioned the meat, and Charlie only said that dairy wasn't a problem. That could be viewed that there was no meat involved, or possibly that the laws weren't being followed strictly. That why I asked Charlie. I wanted to know about him, from him.

I'm sorry for being distracting in your thread, Chuck.

Ok guys stop arguing. I do keep kosher. Strict kosher.
But because mushrooms are neither meat or dairy I can serve them with either dairy or meat sauce. And because I'm thinking of stand alone item it also doesn't matter what kind of sauce I use.
And yes if meat was involved I would not be able to use dairy.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Last edited:
Thanks, Charlie. I was curious about the spevifics because of the many discussions that I listened in on when I was growing up with my friends about keeping Jewish law. My gf's family used to own Abeles and Heymann Koher meats, and she had siblings and relatives that often discussed stuff like this at dinner.

Thanks, Charlie. I was curious about the spevifics because of the many discussions that I listened in on when I was growing up with my friends about keeping Jewish law. My gf's family used to own Abeles and Heymann Koher meats, and she had siblings and relatives that often discussed stuff like this at dinner.

And with all that said, we are getting a very excellent education in Kosher laws. Thanks Charlie. I for one am enjoying all the information.

When I lived in Chelsea, more than 50 years ago, it was 95% Jewish. I learned quite a lot living in that town. Fortunately, for all the kids, Hanukkah fell during the Christmas break in winter. But come the time for Yom Kippur they closed the school and all the businesses also. That came as a surprise to me. Also the rituals regarding the death of a family member. That was my only introduction to Gefilte fish. I lived in a six family building. And I and my family were the only Non-Jewish one.

I love the study of religion. It has always held my interest.

Since we're establishing our credentials to speak on Jewish topics :rolleyes: I had a Jewish neighbor across the hall in the apartment where we lived over 22 years ago who invited us for Seder a couple of times and a Hanukkah celebration once. And I worked with a woman for four years whose husband was a rabbi (he died last year); we are Facebook friends and have a mutual friend, who is currently a neighbor, who is also Jewish. So I have learned a lot from them, as well as from Charlie.

I was the kid in ninth grade who was confused when a Jewish classmate told me our Catholic classmates didn't like him because he was Jewish. I still don't get it, even though I know the history better now.

Last edited:
Since we're establishing our credentials to speak on Jewish topics :rolleyes: I had a Jewish neighbor across the hall in the apartment where we lived over 22 years ago who invited us for Seder a couple of times and a Hanukkah celebration once. And I worked with a woman for four years whose husband was a rabbi (he died last year); we are Facebook friends and have a mutual friend, who is currently a neighbor, who is also Jewish. So I have learned a lot from them, as well as from Charlie.

I was the kid in ninth grade who was confused when a Jewish classmate told me our Catholic classmates didn't like him because he was Jewish. I still don't get it, even though I know the history better now.

This born and raised Catholic married a Jew as my second husband, so I guess I also have my credentials to speak on Jewish topics.;)

I've learned so much about Jewish law from him, and he has accompanied me to dozens of Cathedrals all over the world. :wub:

Charlie, I vote for the Hunter's sauce!! :chef::yum:

Last edited:
K-L, you certainly have the creds.

GG, you have Jewiah friends? On Facebook? Holy moly, you're practically ready for rabbinical school. :mrgreen:

K-L, you certainly have the creds.

GG, you have Jewiah friends? On Facebook? Holy moly, you're practically ready for rabbinical school. :mrgreen:

As I said, I worked with one for four years and another is a neighbor I know pretty well; we worked together on the neighborhood civic league board. Not just Fb friends.

OK - I have some sauce ideas. I love fried mushrooms (almost any veggie fried) and think that the sauce needs to have some acid kick to it...

1. Basic white sauce (bechemel) with some added mustard. Use the yellow kind and not too much. Surprisingly good.

2. Cold dip: Plain yogurt with curry, parsley and salt/pepper. Whirl it up in a blender.

3. cat-sup. Yup the real stuff. Consider adding a little curry or horseradish.

4. thousand island dressing

5. Go southwest: mix salsa and sour cream together - add a handful for fresh herbs.

6. Vinegar or lemon juice - keep it simple

Thank you guys for helping. This gives me a lot of options to think about.
As a side note I apologize for starting "religious war" (just joking) because I was not clear.
Please everybody if you have any questions I would be happy to answer anything and everything I can. If there is such interest we can start new thread.
Thank you.

I truely apologize to you, my friend, for causing a stir.

I hope Rebbe Garlic does the same.

I am very interested in Jewish culture. You don't survive almost 6000 years without some good stories and great people (and food).

When my buddy, Joey Schlepp (no kidding, that is his name) tried out for a part in our high school play, he got the prestigious part of the father in a Jewish household.
When he got home, he was so proud to tell his mom and sisters of his tryout.
They all got angry at him, and told him to march right back down to the school and demand from the teacher in charge of the play that he get a speaking part...

:cool:

:D

How do you say "'nuff said" in Hebrew.

Although, I looked up the Hunter's sauce, and it looks good if you want a rich brown sauce. I think I'll try it soon.

I'm still thinking garlic crème, but who are you serving it to again?

Last edited:
Thank you guys for helping. This gives me a lot of options to think about.
As a side note I apologize for starting "religious war" (just joking) because I was not clear.
Please everybody if you have any questions I would be happy to answer anything and everything I can. If there is such interest we can start new thread.
Thank you.

Charlie, I for one would be interested in a thread about Kosher cooking and laws.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom