ISO Recipe for French Cut Lemon String Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
On my quest to use up string beans, and already having at least a years worth frozen, I just French cut the last two harvests worth too try something different .

When my wife was young, her mom made her " Lemon String Beans". that were French cut. Her mo9m does not remember what she did, and was not ta very good cook, so whatever the recipe was, Im sure it was basic. Right off the bat, she used canned, already French Cut, string beans as opposed to fresh or frozen. Nothing against that, but I prefer fresh, and I sure have enough.

Anyway, the only memory of the dish that my wife has is that there were French cut string beans, lemon, and some kind of oil ( or butter) as she was able to detect this by seeing the oil and liquid separate in the ' dressing'.

Sure I can wing it, or search the internet for 1000 recipes, Just curious if any of you guys have a recipe that you use.

Again, not looking for anything too fancy, as she wasn't a fancy cook, and Im trying to make it similar to what she had back in the day.

My first thought was to search Del Monte or Green Giant to see if they had any recipes on their websites, cause thats probably how she got most her recipes ( not from websites but from the back of a can. Nothing wrong with that, just providing info).

Im also not opposed to being exposed to a more gourmet style dish, as Im always looking for something new.

Anyway, post away.

I actually just did find a Delmont Recipe. Apparently either they do or did sell French cut green beans with roasted garlic in a can. The recipe calls for a 2 cans of that, some lemon zest and olive oil. Could be as simple as that, but still curious to hear what you guys come up with.

***And knowing my Mother in Law, she didnt zest the lemon. She probably squeezed some lemon juice from one of those plastic lemons ( filled with lemon juice) that you see in sold in the produce aisle ( in a basket next to the actual lemons)***

Last edited:
I don't have a recipe for the green beans. I sometimes cook beets and toss them with bit of lemon juice and butter once they are cooked. That tastes really good. Maybe it's as simple as that.

I've been fermenting cucumbers for pickles. They are so good, really, sublime, gentle sour, not overly salty. Beans can be done the same way, so I'm adding them to my pickle ferment. Low maintenance, skim them daily, cover, eat at will.

We freeze green beans,, so anything I say you might toss out the window.

What I would do is can plain green beans per any recipe.
Keep lemons on hand. Cook / heat beans. Toss with 1-2 T lemon juice and some zest before serving. My reason is I don't know what happens with canned lemon juice in the beans. Plus, with plain beans you can use/ add other stuff, such as toasted sesame seeds and a bit of sesame oil or some sauteed garlic.

Make a small test batch and see how it goes.

One of our favorite ways to cook green beans is a Greek or Turkish preparation (call it Mediterranean). Chop half an onion and two cloves of garlic and sauté in olive oil till soft but not browned. Add two cups of green beans (any type) and two cups of chopped tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or so. Season with S&P, dried oregano, fresh parsley, whatever you feel like. Delish [emoji39]

Last edited:
I've no idea about the recipe you are seeking, but I would likely par-boil for about 2 minutes, drain well, and cut how you want. Then saute slowly in olive oil or butter with lemon zest, pepper, and toss with a bit of juice when done.

Back
Top Bottom