ISO oyster sauce suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FritzL

Assistant Cook
looking for a suggestion for a good quality oyster sauce.
I've seen these most often mentioned.
Megachef
Wan Ja Shan
Lee Kum Kee

Looking for the "cleanest" one.
Unfortunately, I've not seen any of the above locally, so I'll have to search Manhattan or beezee.

Welcome to DC. Amazon has several brands available.

Lee Kum Kee is a reliable choice. Just bought some today, coincidentally. Useful in so many dishes.

Hi there FritzL, and Welcome to DC.

I use Golden Dragon brand, am very satisfied with it.

Don't know what you mean by "clean", could you explain?

I use Lee Kum Kee brand a lot. Not just their Oyster Sauce.

I always have their Char Siu sauce, which I use for pork and chicken.

Ross

I like Healthy Boy for oyster sauce and various soy sauces. You need to buy it online or in an Asian market.

Lee Kum Kee is ok and you can buy it in most regular supermarkets

Lee Kum Kee has numerous varieties of oyster sauce. Their best one is the premium oyster sauce with a woman in a boat on the label. The red label with a panda is not as flavorful but OK if that's all you can find.

I agree with those above about the Lee Kum Kee - I have never had a bad sample of any sauces of theirs, though I haven't had their oyster sauce. And they can be found almost everywhere. The Healthy Boy is a good brand - was "Golden Boy" when I used it, but same logo, and all of their sauces I've tried have been good. But my favorite that I've tried was MAEKRUA, which is another Thai brand, and there is hardly any English printing on the bottles, besides ingredients and nutrition! It is definitely the best brand I've found, to use in Thai and Chinese cooking.

Last edited:
Hi there FritzL, and Welcome to DC.

I use Golden Dragon brand, am very satisfied with it.

Don't know what you mean by "clean", could you explain?
no palm oil, sugar made from recycled heavy metals, or long chemical sounding ingredients
Thank you all.

Lee Kum Kee has numerous varieties of oyster sauce. Their best one is the premium oyster sauce with a woman in a boat on the label. The red label with a panda is not as flavorful but OK if that's all you can find.
Agreed. This is the best one to get. It has the best flavor.

I agree with those above about the Lee Kum Kee - I have never had a bad sample of any sauces of theirs, though I haven't had their oyster sauce. And they can be found almost everywhere. The Healthy Boy is a good brand - was "Golden Boy" when I used it, but same logo, and all of their sauces I've tried have been good. But my favorite that I've tried was MAEKRUA, which is another Thai brand, and there is hardly any English printing on the bottles, besides ingredients and nutrition! It is definitely the best brand I've found, to use in Thai and Chinese cooking.
I agree with this. Maekura is very good sauce. Lee Kum Kee is probably so popular because it is quite easy to find and has a good reputation across all the brand products. It’s good, but I find it is a bit generic and doesn’t really grab at any special flavours, as goes with almost everything from the brand. A good all-rounder for most things and reliable.
I just find that Maekura has more personality and elevates dishes better due to its more complex nature.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom