ISO osso buco recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
Hi my mum has lost a recipe for a dish that sounds like oscu busco , it was a stew which used veal knuckle . Can anyone help with the recipe

cheers

Here's another version, it's my adaptation of a Marcella Hazan recipe.

Osso Buco Milanese

1/4 C Olive Oil
4 Veal Shanks
Flour
3 Tb Butter
1/2 C Onion, diced
1/3 C Carrot, diced
1/3 C Celery, diced
1/2 tsp Garlic, minced
2 Lemon Peel Strips
1/2 C White Wine
1/4 C Beef Broth
1/4 C Water
3/4 C Tomato, chopped
1/8 tsp Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
2 Parsley Sprigs
1 Oz Dry Porcini Mushrooms
TT S&P

Add the oil to the pot and heat it. Dust the shanks with flour, shaking off any excess. Place the shanks into the pot in one layer. Brown the shanks deeply all over. Remove to a plate, drain excess oil from the pot.

Melt the butter and sweat the onion, carrots and celery on medium for 6-7 minutes.

Add the garlic and lemon peel and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

Add the wine and deglaze the pot, reducing the wine by half.

Heat the broth and water and add it to the pot along with the tomato, thyme, bay leaf, parsley mushrooms, salt and pepper.

The liquid should come two thirds of the way up the side of the shanks. If it does not, add more broth and water.

Bring the liquid to a simmer, cover and place into the lower half of a 350º F. oven. Turn and baste the shanks every 20 minutes. Cook for 2 hours or until the shanks are very tender and a creamy dense sauce has formed.

When the shanks are done, remove them to a platter and reduce the sauce, if necessary, to thicken. Remove the strings before serving.

Should be 250mL Nick. Same as in Oz. Any case for the purposes of the above recipe, your usual measuring cup will suffice.

Last edited:
This was posted by the site owner of Eating WA. Alex Gladding is a Perth chef and at the time (and maybe still), ran the kitchen at Social on Staion, a restaurant in Perth's popular Subiaco suburb. I have not dined there but it seems to be popular at least with the "in" crowd.

Venison Osso Bucco

Here's my favorite recipe for Osso Buco!
Braised Veal Shanks in Onion Sauce

This recipe is adapted from one by one of my Italian cooking teachers, Giuliano Bugialli. It’s a little different than you might expect – there are no tomatoes!

makes 6 servings

6 large red onions, peeled
6 veal shanks cut into 1 1/2-inch slices (with bone and marrow)
4 bay leaves
3 large garlic cloves peeled, left whole
3 whole cloves
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
Grated rind of 1 lemon
2 cups chicken or beef stock, heated
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg

Grémolata:
4 fresh sage leaves
Leaves from 15 sprigs of Italian parsley
1 small clove garlic
Grated rind of 1 (additional) lemon

1. Using your Cuisinart fitted with the 2 mm slicing blade, slice the onions. Soak them for 1/2 hour in a bowl of cold water.
2. Tie each piece of meat around the sides with string. Make a bouquet garni of the bay leaves, garlic and cloves and tie it up in cheesecloth.
3. Melt 4 tablespoons butter with the oil in a deep-sided sauté pan over medium heat. When butter is completely melted, drain onions and add to sauté pan. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the onions to a baking dish, leaving juices in the pan. Add remaining butter and melt it. NOW, lightly flour veal shanks on both sides but not on the edges. Add veal shanks to the hot butter mixture. Sauté until golden brown on each sides (about 3 minutes per side). Add wine and let it cook down to a syrup (about 2 minutes).
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange meat in a single layer over the onions in the baking dish. Sprinkle the lemon rind (1 lemon only) over the meat, then pour the warmed stock in, and add the remaining sauce from the sauté pan. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Put bag of herbs in the baking dish. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Shake dish 3 or 4 times while cooking (don't remove cover!] to keep meat from sticking.
5. Finely chop parsley, sage and garlic together on a board, and transfer to a small bowl. Add grated lemon rind and mix.
6. Transfer veal shanks to a warm serving platter. Remove strings and cover to keep warm.
7. Discard bag of herbs and pass onion sauce from the baking dish through a food mill (medium hole) into a saucepan. Put saucepan over medium heat. Taste for salt and pepper and cook about 20 minutes to thicken.

Teacher’s Tips: 1. While sauce is cooking, prepare the Risotto Milanese
2. To serve, sprinkle Grémolata over each serving. Serve with the risotto.

Wine Tip: These luscious veal shanks deserve a comparable wine. Choose a Barbaresco with a little age, if your budget will allow it.

yeah italian food seems to be a lot less tomatey than you would expect i wonder who added all the tomatoes

There seems to many varities i will study them and then let you know which one i think will be nice

I gave him close to 200,00 recipes and y'all got the urge to add even more? By the time he's finished reading all the recipes, that veal will be a full blown cow, and will have died of old age!

I am planning next week to cook osso busco i will tell u which recipe i choose and maybe u can add a little of inspiration or tips .

Thank you

Hi i think i will go for this version of the dish

Osso Buco Milanese

1/4 C Olive Oil
4 Veal Shanks
Flour
3 Tb Butter
1/2 C Onion, diced
1/3 C Carrot, diced
1/3 C Celery, diced
1/2 tsp Garlic, minced
2 Lemon Peel Strips
1/2 C White Wine
1/4 C Beef Broth
1/4 C Water
3/4 C Tomato, chopped
1/8 tsp Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
2 Parsley Sprigs
1 Oz Dry Porcini Mushrooms
TT S&P

But i was wondering if i could add some pancetta if so when should i add it if at all and how much and what will it add to the recipe. Also instead of chicken broth i was thinking of veal glace and does it matter if the porcini is dry or not . Below are the steps so i was wondering if you tell me when to add the pancetta and if its a good idea cheers.

Add the oil to the pot and heat it. Dust the shanks with flour, shaking off any excess. Place the shanks into the pot in one layer. Brown the shanks deeply all over. Remove to a plate, drain excess oil from the pot.

Melt the butter and sweat the onion, carrots and celery on medium for 6-7 minutes.

Add the garlic and lemon peel and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

Add the wine and deglaze the pot, reducing the wine by half.

Heat the broth and water and add it to the pot along with the tomato, thyme, bay leaf, parsley mushrooms, salt and pepper.

The liquid should come two thirds of the way up the side of the shanks. If it does not, add more broth and water.

Bring the liquid to a simmer, cover and place into the lower half of a 350º F. oven. Turn and baste the shanks every 20 minutes. Cook for 2 hours or until the shanks are very tender and a creamy dense sauce has formed.

When the shanks are done, remove them to a platter and reduce the sauce, if necessary, to thicken. Remove the strings before serving.

Cut back on the oil and brown the diced pancetta (about 1/4 lb or less) in a tablespoon or two of the oil. Then use the oil and pork fat to brown the shanks.

Yes, you can use veal stock in place of the chicken. You can add the dry porcini as is. There's plenty of liquid to rehydrate them.

Shall i add the pancetta later in the dish or jsut use it for the production of oil. Also what tomatoes shall i use i have access to itallian varities . Also when it comes to liquids and solids what does a cup refer 2 . Thank you

You can add the browned lean parts of the pancetta back when you return the shanks to the pot.

I use canned San Marzano tomatoes.

In my recipe, a cup refers to 8 fluid ounces. Use standard measuring cups.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom