ISO: Norwegian Sailor Stew recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, 3x5 cards are much better.

My mum hid money in old newspapers and other paper work. My sister and I had to go through all of it. Piles and piles of stuff. We found a bit of Danish money, thousands of French Francs and thousands of German Marks. :wacko:

Those currencies have been replaced with Euros. :(
My maternal grandpa hid $$$ in cigar cans in the loft of the garage.

It doesn't have fish in it--it uses round steak. It is more like a pot roast, but not the kind my paternal grandma made (that was gross). I will post the ingredients and how I handle them when the garden dies and I have time to play with things like this. It also has some capers in it. It was so good if you like beef-brandy-anchovies-onions-potatoes-capers and cream.

Recipe? I'm so intrigued!

Oops. Sorry my misintrepation of what you wrote vs whai I read. However, I guess anchovies is fishes. I will clean my glasses now. :)

Recipe? I'm so intrigued!
Not tonight--I left the recipe at the farm in a box that has to be moved back, but, since I recently read the recipe, it includes:

About 1-1/2 lb round steak
Beef broth
onions
potatoes
anchovies (about 4, rinced well and chopped)
capers
carrots
S&P to taste

You brown the meat in butter (I cut it in about 1" cubes, dredged in flour); add the broth, onions, potatoes, anchovies, capers and carrots. I did the meat on the stove and transferred everything to a CP. It sems to me I used about 4-5 c broth (which was homemade) based on my CP's capacity.

About 5-10 minutes before serving, remove everything from the CP except the broth, add 1/4 c brandy and 1/2 c cream. Let that heat through, and return the meat, etc., to the thickened broth. I served it in a bowl, topped with lemon zest and chopped parsley. If the "sauce" isn't thick enough, thicken it with a bit of flour. This is what I recall from re-reading the recipe when I found it. I made notes in the margins (luckily, I do have a near perfect memory). But, the recipe is not for a CP and I put it in the CP in the morning and let it cook for about 8 hours.

I am sure there is s/thing I've forgotten. It had this salty-beefy-creamy taste. I can taste it still.

Last edited:
Oops. Sorry my misintrepation of what you wrote vs whai I read. However, I guess anchovies is fishes. I will clean my glasses now. :)
I meant it wasn't fish based, it does have that added little taste of anchovies that blends very nicely with the beefiness of it. My beef stock is very "beefy."

thanks for this, cws. it sounds exactly like my mom's beef stew, except she didn't add brandy. everything else is right on, though.

copied and saved.

:chef:

thanks for this, cws. it sounds exactly like my mom's beef stew, except she didn't add brandy. everything else is right on, though.

copied and saved.

:chef:
Did it include the capers and the anchovies? I found that the addition of those (and the brandy) really made this recipe pop.

capers, yes. and i recall canned fish: coulda been anchovies or sardines. i'm not sure. possibly even salmon or mackerel. i'll ask next week.

definitely no brandy, though. mom got loopy from sniffing a cork. she only drank one night a year, on new years eve.

Last edited:
capers, yes. and i recall canned fish: coulda been anchovies or sardines. i'm not sure. possibly even salmon or mackerel. i'll ask next week.

definitely no brandy, though. mom got loopy from sniffing a cork. she only drank one night a year, on new years eve.
Brandy can be you're little enhancement...or not. Let me know what she says when you ask her about the recipe. Of recipes tried once, this one left a very memorable impression on me.

Norwegian Mar y Montaña ...

The Northern Spaniards, the Galicians, The Basque and the Catalans call this treatment of combining products from the sea, and the mountain / land;

" mar y montaña" , the sea ( anchovies ) and the mountain ...

Nigella has an interesting approach to Norwegian Sailor Stew: www.nigella.com

Have nice August.
M.C.

Last edited:
Norwegian Mar y Montaña ...

The Northern Spaniards, the Galicians, The Basque and the Catalans call this treatment of combining products from the sea, and the mountain / land;

" mar y montaña" , the sea ( anchovies ) and the mountain ...

Nigella has an interesting approach to Norwegian Sailor Stew: www.nigella.com

Have nice August.
M.C.
I'm assuming it would be this recipe:

BEEF STEW WITH ANCHOVIES AND THYME | Recipes | Nigella Lawson

I think I might have also added fresh dill at the end, but need to grab the box from the farm and the recipe to confirm. I think it would be very good with dill, but I like fresh dill with most everything...I know there wasn't any tomato in the recipe that inspired me.

Cws,

Yes, this is the recipe from Nigella.

I am sure, like in other countries here in Europe, many well known new generation chefs are revamping historical or classic recipes with modern techniques and the products of today ... It is very common.

Another valuable point for obtaining an authentic historical classic recipe is to contact the Norwegian Food & Agricultural Ministry.
Ciao.
M.C.

CWS Swedish Fisherman’s Beef Stew with Anchovies
Four Star Rating !! !! !! !!
This is my take on CWS’s Fisherman’s Stew recipe as posted above. I cooked it in a cast iron dutch oven simmered on the back of the stove. I thought I saw wine listed in the ingredients. Guess not. Mine includes since I bought some vino. Here’s how I did it.
Ingredients :
1 ½ pounds beef stew meat ( sirloin, round steak, tenderloin tips ) cut in one inch size pieces
1 good size onion, large dice
2 cloves garlic, smashed ( use 4 next time)
1 cup red wine ( I used a california pinot noir)
4 cups organic beef broth, low sodium
1 cup water
4 whole anchovies rinsed and cut into smaller pieces, reserve remainder ( I had 2 leftover, perfect for a Caesar salad later this week. Unless the cats learn how to open the frigerator. Boy, did they like licking the can. ) (( how does one “rinse” an anchovy? They still oily little minnows and ultimately made my fingers smell good. well I drowned ‘em anyway)) Do not omit.
1 T caper berries, rinsed ( do not omit)
4-5 sprigs fresh thyme sprigs –( I used 7 sprigs total)
3 dried bay leaves
1 tsp dry marjoram
1 T Worcestershire sauce ( approx)
Plenty of cracked black pepper
Seasoned flour
Olive oil or cooking oil
Vegetables: 3 modest size red skinned potatoes, peeled, cut in one inch dice ( new potatoes would be good this time of year)
6 small- medium size young carrots, scrubbed or peeled, one inch circles ( wish I had more carrots)
1 cup fresh baby green beans, tipped and topped, cut in halves
1 cup frozen peas, preferably baby peas, any green peas are fine. ( I can’t not leave out peas in a stew)
¼ cup Brandy ( used closer to a third cup maybe)
½ cup heavy cream ( use remainder of carton to make Whip cream – yay)
Parsley and lemon zest to garnish ( the lemon gives this is a good finish)

Instrux:
Cut beef uniformly into approx 1 inch cubes. Shake by the handful in a bag of seasoned flour.
Heat a heavy duty pot over medium heat and add approx. 2 T olive oil. Add and brown meat cubes in batches. Remove with slotted spoon to a stand-by plate. Add onion and garlic to last batch. Remove meat when browned.
Add wine. Bring wine to a boil, Deglaze pan and scrape any brown bits.
Reintroduce the meat to pot.
Add beef stock, worster, herbs, anchovies, capers s and water if it looks like more liquid is needed. I added H20 and by golly, by the end, it was perfect. Bring it all to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered on a low burner. Check and stir at approx 30, 60 and 90 minutes. Total meat –stewing cook time on a very low burner for me turned out was 2 hours BEFORE Adding the veggies.
Prepare vegetables. Give them last rites for a crucial simmer and initiate their toes in the pot. When it’s time, it’s time. Just dump and stir them in the pot. Wear Head phones.
Adjust heat on the burner from simmer to medium . Adding veggies reduces the heat tremendously . Add the potatoes. Cook 20 minutes. Add the carrots. Cook 10 minutes. Add the beans and baby peas. Cook 5 -10 minutes. Cook peas only long enough to heat, Keep ‘em plump and don’t let them wrinkle up . Theoretically.
This took way longer than I thought even though the spuds and carrots were cut in small pieces. Xcept carrots were at one point nice /al dente. They got a bit softer than I prefer by the time I plated. Gotta work on this.
I like the sauce a little thick, sooooo… remove the stew with a slotted spoon to a large bowl. Now would be the time to fish out thyme sprigs and bay leaves as you find them. Make a flour slurry in a jar ( shake shake shake) and add about 1/3 cup to the stock. In this instance, I didn’t want the gravy too thick.
Add slurry slowly while stirring continuously. Bring to a boil, stirring for 5 minutes. Return meat and veggies to sauce. When at a slow boil again, add the brandy. Stir and cook about a minute. Add the cream. Stir in just until heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Serve in bowls . Garnish with snipped parsley and lemon zest curls. Serve crusty bread and chilled garden tomato slices alongside.
Notes: At 30 minutes, there was no discernible thyme flavor, so I threw in 2 more sprigs. It wasn’t “fishy” tasting yet the anchovy flavor is pronounced, and the broth is salty. (I didn’t add any other salt). I think I could drink the broth by the glassful !
At 60 minutes—the meat is not tender enough for my liking. Cranked up the burner one notch and set the timer for another 30 minutes. I’m getting hungry.
Twiddling my thumbs. Listening to Neil Young w/ Crazy Horse You tubes. Various newly released August 2012 concert footage playing a bunch of old and a few new songs, good sound quality recorded in Albuquerque NM, Red Rocks Co, Nevada and San Francisco. The band plays tight next to each other each venue, not spread out across a stage . They are into their own music and muse as if there is no audience. Visuals are like a Personal Concert. You do the YT/search/ NY 2012. And be glad.
At Approx 90 minutes— “ time just slips away, just slips away….” the meat is not yet fork tender. It is cooking at a slow burble. Give it another 30 minutes. Added the potatoes. Maybe they will absorb some of the flavor. Tastes terrific.
120 Minutes. Ah. This is what a stew should taste like. Carrots going in. Beans is jumping off their plate. Could have let them grow in the garden another hour if I knew. Forgot to take the peas out to thaw.
Between 150- 180 minutes/ READY. What with all the fixin’s and finishes and fusses.
Well, I may have been born at night, but I wasn’t born Last Night. This is the best stew I ever ate.
And…. A few hours later I am still full and am posting this. You will like this too.
Thank you CWS.

I'm glad you tried it (and liked it!). I like your veggie additions. I do add some wine when I'm making my homemade stock...so, technically, there was wine in it. That taste has stayed with me for five years. I only made it once, but man, was it good. And you can't skip the capers or the anchovies (I put mine in a strainer and rinse under hot water). I can see where the lemon would make a nice finish. I can hardly wait for fall when I can make this again. It has been "not stew weather" here.

Last edited:
No, it is not stew weather here either. I think for a fall stew I would put in some rutabaga too. I also think next time to possibly add the Anchovies later in the cook. The flavor completed melted into the full broth flavor, which is good, but not so much if you want the anchovy to shine a little.

Maybe because I puttzed and paid attention, and tasted as it cooked, it came out relly good. Which is another reason why I chose stove top rather than a crock pot. Not turning the oven on in August, that's for sure.

Kathleen, Please thank CWS. It's her recipe, with my interpretation. I would never think to put anchovies in this. For those who may think they do not appreciate anchovies, it doesn't taste like them, it just leaves something in the background, and gives it a little more depth. I got something else up my sleeve to use the leftovers. See the "what's for dinner" thread in a little while. :yum:

Thanks to both of you, then! :)
You're most welcome. I can hardly wait to try it again. Having only made it once, I had a dim recollection of the recipe, but a distinct recollection of that unique flavor the anchovies added (as well as the capers). I will make write it up once I've tried it again. I do have notes in the margins, but still have to haul the box home. Fall is coming!

I contacted the Norwegian Consulate, Sons of Norway, relatives in Norway, a Norwegian cooking forum, a couple of Norwegian chefs--no one had the recipe. I have hunted for this recipe for 5 years. That gives you an idea of the impression it had on me. It probably would've helped if I had the country right--it is a Swedish recipe.:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom