ISO Information/advice w/French toast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No flour for us Charlie.

SO makes the FT and she just soaks it long enough for the bread to get wet.

All I can address is how I make French toast, Charlie.

I was given this recipe by a restaurant in New Orleans 50+ years ago and love it and have seen no reason to stray.

For 4 slices of bread, your choice, in a large flat bowl, whisk 4 large eggs, along with a splash of real vanilla extract, about 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar, tiny pinch of salt, and about 1/4 cup whole (100%) milk or half-and-half. Stir until everything is well-blended.

Coat a large skillet or griddle with enough vegetable or canola oil to make sure the surface is very well-coated. Less than 1/4 inch. Heat until you see the oil shimmer/ripple.

Next, with a table fork, dip each piece of bread in the egg mixture. Push down with the back of the fork, then turn over, coating the other side, pushing down again.

Carefully lift the piece of bread, using the fork, and allowing most of the egg wash to drain off back into the bowl. Put the bread into the oiled pan ready to cook.

Allow the bread to "fry" for about 3 minutes, turn and cook for another 3 minutes.

Both sides should be uniformly golden.

Serve with butter, syrup and jam/jelly of your choice.

I think how long the bread should soak for depends on how fresh it is. The older and dryer the bread, the longer it should soak.

I recently saw a short clip from Jacques Pepin. He actually made French toast using melted French vanilla ice cream as the batter to dip the bread in. he didnt dip too long, didnt want the bread to get too saturated.

I, also use stale brioche. If its fresh, I dry it in the oven (air fryer now)

I don't soak but, just quick dip it.

Turns out great for us.

Ross

Back
Top Bottom