ISO info on salt substitute - High pressure salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RamonC

Assistant Cook
Saw the other day, that there are salt types with much less Sodium or even without Sodium. Anyone can share experience wwith those? Taste is ok, is it useless? Thanks

Not sure exactly what you mean. If you are looking for salt free there are many on the market. But each will taste different for the individual. Some will like one product and another a different product. All you can do is try.

But salt is salt, there is no such thing as a salt that is less salty. It just means that it has been diluted with other ingredients.

There's a salt substitute that uses potassium chloride in place of sodium chloride. Tried it once. Didn't like it.

In chemistry, table salt, NaCl is only one type of salt. So yes, potassium chloride, KCl, is a salt. And, there are other salts. KCl does have a slightly salty taste, with a bit of an after taste. I have only tried it sprinkled onto something. I don't know what it would be like if one cooked with it.

Last edited:
Use MSG, aka Ac'cent.

I don't find that MSG adds much in the way of salt flavour. It will help some, but I don't think it is a proper salt substitute.

From Wikipedia:
The sodium content (in mass percent) of MSG, 12.28%, is about one-third of that in sodium chloride (39.34%), due to the greater mass of the glutamate counterion

I don't find that MSG adds much in the way of salt flavour. It will help some, but I don't think it is a proper salt substitute.

From Wikipedia:
It depends on individual taste. I've tasted it by itself and to me, it tastes like gnawing on salty, savory grilled pork chop bones :yum:

Considering that MSG stands for monosodium glutamate and has about 800 mg of sodium per teaspoon compared to 2,300 mg in a teaspoon of salt,
I think you're bound to taste some saltiness... :rolleyes:

Have never tried it on it's own GG, gonna do it first chance I get, thanks!

There is sodium in chlorophyll. Does that taste salty? You know, that green flavour in green plants like parsley.

There is sodium in chlorophyll. Does that taste salty? You know, that green flavour in green plants like parsley.
Remember that sodium chloride is a chemical compound - the two elements are chemically bonded together, so we're not tasting the individual elements. I don't know whether sodium on its own tastes salty because I've never tasted it. That doesn't mean there aren't other compounds that taste salty.

Hello, the one I bought is very good and very salty. Can recommend as salt substitude!!

I have liver and kidney issues, so I have to REALLY watch the sodium. Basically, my body retains sodium, which retains water. Depending on your health issues, salt substitutes like Potassium Chloride are not an answer. My doctor says no to that. Ask your doctor if it is okay for you.

MSG is more potent in flavor, which lets you use less of it, but you still have to use it sparingly -- it's not a silver bullet solution.

I have found that after several months of cutting back on salt, I don't notice it is missing. In fact, when I go to a restaurant now, I often find the food overly salty.

I just rely on herbs and spices more when I cook at home, and don't miss the salt anymore.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom