ISO Ice Cream Sandwich Wafer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I'm not sure whether this is supposed to be under brownies, frozen treats, or cookies. What I am sure about is that for about 63 years, the ice cream sandwich has been one of my favorite ice cream treats. However, the quality of the chocolate wafers that cover the ice cream is of paramount importance. The wafers should be soft, almost like cake, but with the crumb of a soft, Toll House cookie. The chocolate flavor should be light, but strong enough to compliment the ice cream. If the wafer is hard, or crispy, that just doesn't work for me.

Does anyone of our talented DC members have a recipe for those wafers? If so, please share
I'm not looking for two cookies with ice cream sandwiched between them, as seems to be the norm when searching the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, I always assumed the cookies started out crispy and softened from proximity to the ice cream and being in the freezer.

Stella Parks, aka Bravetart, wrote an entire book about Iconic American Desserts. I'd try her recipe.

https://www.seriouseats.com/homemade-vanilla-ice-cream-sandwiches-recipe

I second this! Stella's ice cream sandwich is the absolute best.

bravetart Ice Cream Sandwich.jpg

Yes, I do have a recipe for chocolate wafers that are perfect for an ice cream sandwich.

Ingredients:

-1 cup unsalted butter, softened
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-2 large egg yolks
-2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-2/3 cup cocoa powder
-1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, vanilla extract, and salt and mix until combined.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder.

4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until a dough forms.

5. Roll the dough out to 1/4" thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut out circles with a biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass and place on the prepared baking sheet.

6. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the edges are slightly golden. Let cool completely before assembling your ice cream sandwiches. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom