ISO help with box cake mix/ canned fruit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Could I, make box mix cake batter per instructions, then add lg. can pie filling, stir and bake in 13x9 pan for a cake with fruit in it? Will the cake set or be too runny? Perhaps cook longer or back off other wet ingredients?
Thanks, Eric.

You would be making a sort of dump cake and it should work. Don't use any of the ingredients you normally would for the cake, but top it with a stick of cold butter spread out evenly before baking, like this.

Has anyone made dump cake? I'm wondering how the cake mix gets wet enough. Does the butter melting into the cake mix do that?

Yup, the butter and fruit are enough wet...but it isn't really a "cake", in the end. It is more like a cobbler. They are great for pot luck at camping...and some added ice cream doesn't hurt!

Yup, the butter and fruit are enough wet...but it isn't really a "cake", in the end. It is more like a cobbler. They are great for pot luck at camping...and some added ice cream doesn't hurt!
I can see that there is enough liquid. I'm wondering how the dry cake mix gets wet enough, while sitting on top. Doesn't some of it just dry out?

I can see that there is enough liquid. I'm wondering how the dry cake mix gets wet enough, while sitting on top. Doesn't some of it just dry out?
I imagine as the liquid in the pie filling boils during cooking, it bubbles and steams enough to mix with the butter and moisten the dry mix. I doubt people would still make it if it didn't work.

Cake mix box instructions call for eggs, oil. & water. These ingredients are in the mix except for the water. I find it necessary to sift lumpy cake mix.

I do melt a can of frosting and drizzle it over the dry cake mix.

I remember my mother making fruit cocktail cake and making a coconut based glaze. I think she used a cake mix but won't swear to it.

Back
Top Bottom