ISO help/advice w/pork shoulder in a crock-pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2SHAWN2U

Assistant Cook
I have this 3 pound pork shoulder and I see that it has fat on it. It’s thawed and ready to cook but my question is do I slice off the fat before cooking or is that fat needed to stay on and or do I cut the fat off after it’s cooked? The last time I did thisI left the fat on and it did not cook and the meet was very tender and I broke it all up but it tasted horrible because that fat was just too much. So should I try to just takeoff as much as I can before I put it in the slow cooker? Thanks

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

I agree, I would trim most of the fat off. Remember that there is also fat inside the meat that will render as it cooks. If you want to, you can use the rendered fat to make gravy for your pork.

Welcome to the forum!

+3 for trimming most, but not all, of the fat off, before cooking. And if you are into making your own sausage, save the fat in the freezer, to use at a later date - even if you're trying to reduce the fat in your diet, most cooks out of the sausage, but what is left from the fat moisturizes and flavors the meat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom