ISO help/advice on purchasing a boning knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karadekoolaid

Head Chef
I´m looking for a boning knife for my grill-obsessed son. I´ve looked on Amazon, but I´d like to see some more options. The Wusthof are very good - but very pricey.
Any suggestions, guys?
I´m currently in Cincinnati, so getting the knife here is not a problem.

Messermeister is my go to boning knife - flexible enough, but not overly, and it keeps the edge very well, which is often a problem with boning knives. They have very expensive ones, but also less expensive ones - the ones I've gotten, and had great success with.

It's not exactly cheap but I've used a Tojiro DP Gokujo for years and really love it. It takes a great edge, has good edge retention and the shape is perfect for meat cutting.:cool:

My goodness!!

If I were younger and in need of a boning knife, this is the one I'd go for.
Over the years I have gone through dozens of less quality boning knives.

Ross

Fish knives, from Eagle Claw, Rapala, and others, are not expensive and make good boning knives, if kept sharp.

ASIWZvI.jpg

When I was guiding, I used one to bone some fairly huge elk.

Last edited:
Fish knives, from Eagle Claw, Rapala, and others, are not expensive and make good boning knives, if kept sharp.

ASIWZvI.jpg

When I was guiding, I used one to bone some fairly huge elk.

I have one from Rapala and it's great for fileting fish or working with fine meats, but I find the blade too thin and flexible to debone some "tougher" cut... maybe I'm doing something wrong :)

wrong?

not hardly. there is a serious difference between filleting a fish and de-boning a hunk of beef.

that the same knife does not well equally work for both is not really a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom