ISO help/advice making beef stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stew in oven is also not that simple. You will have to have oven proof dish/pot. But don't forget, that if you make a stove top, slow cooker or oven type they will all have different taste and different flavor. Depending on what flavor you are trying to get it may or may not suite you.

Stew in oven is also not that simple. You will have to have oven proof dish/pot. But don't forget, that if you make a stove top, slow cooker or oven type they will all have different taste and different flavor. Depending on what flavor you are trying to get it may or may not suite you.

As long as the stew is braised in a tightly lidded cooking vessel, using a stovetop, crockpot or oven won't have much affect on taste, if at all.

Stew in the oven is very simple, actually. Because the pot is surrounded by heat, it cooks more evenly with less chance of burning. You just need to stir it once in awhile.

The same goes for other types of soups and stews.

Anything cooked in the oven typically has that deep flavor that I like.

Most of my cookware is Kirkland. Costco - Kirkland Signature and a small surgical steel pot.

What do you mean by oven-proofing?

That set of pots looks oven proof. It doesn't look like it has any plastic handles or other stuff that could melt in the oven.

If you still have the instructions and/or packaging, it might tell you if it is oven proof.

I just thought that "oven-proof" may mean more sealing or something like that. The utensils have no plastic. They are stainless steel and copper. My Manaware pot has some plastic but the manufacturer claims that it has been tested to 350 degrees.

(I like your avatar)

Your cookware will be fine in the oven. All metal pots and pans are easily good in the oven to 400º F and more.

I recommend making the stew in one of your pots and cook it in the oven. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

I'm comming for visit. I think last time I saw goose fat was more than 20 years ago. :yum:
D mate every supermarket in the UK sells jars of the creamy gold for roasting potatoes.I cook more ducks than geese so I have a few pots of duck smaltz in the fridge. Both duck and goose color meat well and add a richness to the daube.:yum:

Yup.

I wish we could get stuff like that on this side of the pond.

I quit buying goose when they made them low fat :(
Tax and Charlie its an import from France where it is a by product of the foie gras industry.
To tease a bit more, parr boil potatoes and dip the cold pots in warm goose or duck fat then chill in the fridge till the fat is a solid sheath around the pot (overnight is best) then roast in a very hot oven. This method also works well with Evo or bacon grease:yum:
To tease a bit more using goose fat to make a flaky crust for chicken pie, freeze the fat then grate into your flour and mix, then add your wet ingredients, bring together quickly rest in the fridge then proceed as normal.:yum:

Back
Top Bottom