ISO help/advice making beef stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jes

Assistant Cook
I have made a beef stew a few times and it works well but each time I get alot of burned ingredient sticking to the bottom of the pan. I wonder if anyone can tell me how to avoid this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose that less heat and more stirring makes sense. I should try it in the oven too.

What has me so befuddled about this is that there is so much liquid in there.

Slow cooker makes a great beef stew, no stirring needed. And you don't add as much liquid.

jes said:
I could try that. I am quit new to stews.

Oh my. We have some great recipes here, check out the Slow Cooker thread! Go to Recipes, then Soups, Stews, and Casseroles, then select Slow Cookers.

BTW, welcome to DC!

Last edited:
I suppose that less heat and more stirring makes sense. I should try it in the oven too.

What has me so befuddled about this is that there is so much liquid in there.

When you see too much liquid, take the lid off. Evaporation is your friend... unless it looks dry :LOL:

I go 350 for an hour and a half.

I make a fairly small amount.

12 oz of stew meat (raw)
2 carrots chopped
2 stalks of celery chopped
Several small onions
a bay leaf
S & P
one can of cream of tomato soup undiluted. (or equivalent tomato sauce)

I serve it with mashed potato. You could cut up a couple and put them in if you like.

This is from an old church cookbook that my mother had. It was called something like washday stew or lazy day stew.

I have made a beef stew a few times and it works well but each time I get alot of burned ingredient sticking to the bottom of the pan. I wonder if anyone can tell me how to avoid this.
I use shin beef for my Daube, I do not flour my meat, I fry my meat first in batches using bacon grease or goose fat, I then fry my veg to a good color in the residual fat. I then add wine or stock and boil to remove the alcohol and melt the caramelized bits, this should also be done to reduce the liquid to the correct amount. I then add cold roux pellets to thicken, add the meat, put the lid on the pot and seal with a flour paste. It is then put in a low oven for 6 hrs, taken it out and leave on the pantry floor for 24 hrs.
To reheat I take the lid off bring to a gentle simmer and then add the fresh Bouquet Garni for about 30 mins. I prefer to add the B/G at the end so the herb flavor is fresh.:yum:

I go 350 for an hour and a half.

I make a fairly small amount.

12 oz of stew meat (raw)
2 carrots chopped
2 stalks of celery chopped
Several small onions
a bay leaf
S & P
This is, mostly, my recipe (rosemary replaces the bay leaf) but I have been doing it on the stove-top.

Would 3 hours at 300 in the oven be even tastier than an hour and a half at 350?

As the saying goes, cook it until it's done. The point of slow cooking in the oven is to break down the connective tissue in the meat so it's more tender and to draw flavors out of the other ingredients. If you cook it too long, the meat and veggies will disintegrate or get super mushy.

With the meat in a stew cut up in about one inch pieces, it won't take very long to get where you want to be. Cook it at 300º F until the meat is tender.

JES, I guess the first question I would ask is what kind of pot are you using? Unless I missed that.

Yeah, the way I see it that is your problem. Not even sure if steering or lowering the heat will help. You really need to consider a dutch oven or even non-stick pot for a stew, any stew. Something with thick bottom.

Back
Top Bottom