ISO diner-style pancake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisa B

Assistant Cook
This is heresy. Dad, don't disown me.

I usually use and love Chief's pancake recipe that I grew up in with it's tender, light and fluffy 3/4 inch pillows. Occasionally though, I like to order a pancake or two from one of a couple local breakfast places and I'm craving that style.

They're almost as thick, just as light and fluffy, but more elastic, a bit sweeter, and smell more like cake than Chief's classics. Adding a bit of extra sugar and mixing longer have only yielded tough, dense dissapointments.

Anyone have a recipe and/or technique?

Add another egg to give the pancake more elasticity without making it tough. Add another 2 tbs of sugar and a tsp. of vanilla to give it a more cake-like flavor, if that;s what you are looking for. //and use me;ted butter, instead of cooking oil.

For a more savory pancake, don't add the vanilla, or extra sugar. Replace the butter, or cooking oil with sausage grease (less cholesterol than butter), and add corn kernels to the batter. Cook as normal, but top with Swiss cheese and thin shaved ham slices.

and don't forget buckwheat pancakes for a heartier flavor. Simple replace 1/3 of the AP flour with buckwheat flour. Serve with buckwheat honey, or wild honey.

Hope that satisfies your need.

Seeeya; Your loving Papa

Lisa, you are a brave soul.

My pancakes are very similar to the Chief's recipe. Except I use buttermilk, butter not oil, and the liquid /flour ratio is 1:1 . Still light and fluffy. Do not over beat the dough and it will be fine.

Now, the grand kids prefer Krusteaz and if they don't see that package, they don't think they are as good. Also they want rabbits, micky or minnie mices, hearts, their initials, trucks... I'm still trying to perfect dinosaurs. I am easily amused.

This is heresy. Dad, don't disown me.

I usually use and love Chief's pancake recipe that I grew up in with it's tender, light and fluffy 3/4 inch pillows. Occasionally though, I like to order a pancake or two from one of a couple local breakfast places and I'm craving that style.

They're almost as thick, just as light and fluffy, but more elastic, a bit sweeter, and smell more like cake than Chief's classics. Adding a bit of extra sugar and mixing longer have only yielded tough, dense disappointments.

Anyone have a recipe and/or technique?

That's strange, because I add ledd baking powder and more sugar to Chef"s recipe and they come out great.

Now, the grand kids prefer Krusteaz and if they don't see that package, they don't think they are as good. Also they want rabbits, micky or minnie mices, hearts, their initials, trucks... I'm still trying to perfect dinosaurs. I am easily amused.

We'll need to see that dino when it's perfected!

Looks like I'll have to try some Krusteaz!

I tried the alterations Chief recommended and they were good, but still not what I'm looking for.

I've seen bags of Krusteaz sitting in restaurant kitchens too. My dad used Krusteaz all the time but especially when hunting. And he used beer as the liquid. Our family recipe stays the same as Dad's.

Back
Top Bottom