ISO Dehydrator Recipe for V-8 Powder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maelinde

Senior Cook
Hiya Everyone!

I'm now on to a new search... My hubby Randy would like for me to make him some V-8 powder.

Personally, I can't stand any kind of vegetable juice to drink. He absolutely loves it and would appreciate anything I could make for him to use as a drink powder.

I'll cook a soup base with it, so I'm willing to try out a recipe to make powder or even leather to grind into a powder in the FP or spice grinder.

Since my brother is coming out soon, he'd appreciate it as well. Both Randy and my bro would be eternally grateful. Plus I'd earn many brownie points for doing this for them. :chef:

Thank you all in advance. :)

I've made tomato powder, so don't see why you couldn't make V-8 powder.

You could find a recipe you like and dry the components in those proportions. I would blanch the other vegies. That sets the color and stops enzyme activity that can degrade the flavor.

One thing I found with tomato powder...it loses its color and flavor fairly quickly. I dry the tomatoes and grind them as needed. The vegies might absorb moisture from the air and would need an hour or two back in the dehydrator to make them grind-able, but I think the quality would be better.

I'll be interested to know how your experiments turn out!

Hm. Years ago, I bought a big jar of Knorr tomato boullion, on the advice of a friend. It's a powder. Stuck it in the back of one of my spice cupboards, and don't use it, as when I finally looked at the sodium content, I practically fell over. 53%! For 1 teaspoon! The first 2 ingredients are salt and MSG.

If you figure out a way to dry low sodium V8, please let me know!

I've dehydrated tomatoes and ground them to powder, but they don't taste like low sodium V8.

Last edited:
I've dehydrated beef stock...I would probably look for a veggie juice recipe that the DH likes, make it, and dehydrate it, grind it...

Hm. Years ago, I bought a big jar of Knorr tomato boullion, on the advice of a friend. It's a powder. Stuck it in the back of one of my spice cupboards, and don't use it, as when I finally looked at the sodium content, I practically fell over. 53%! For 1 teaspoon! The first 2 ingredients are salt and MSG.

If you figure out a way to dry low sodium V8, please let me know!

I've dehydrated tomatoes and ground them to powder, but they don't taste like low sodium V8.
Back when Stirling and I were "dating", we went to a grocery store. While we were waiting in line I noticed some Knorr soup in a display near the cash. I told him to have a look at the ingredients. He was shocked and stunned to see that salt and MSG as the first two ingredients. Shocked and stunned I tell ya.

Back when Stirling and I were "dating", we went to a grocery store. While we were waiting in line I noticed some Knorr soup in a display near the cash. I told him to have a look at the ingredients. He was shocked and stunned to see that salt and MSG as the first two ingredients. Shocked and stunned I tell ya.

Sadly, the tomato boullion tasted great, but when I bought it, it was during my pre-label scrutinizing days. Now that I hauled it out and looked at it again, it's getting dumped.

V8 has tomatoes, carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress and spinach.

The juice must have mostly tomatoes, carrots and celery juice, because it's color would be affected by beets or the green vegetables.

There would be salt added. I'd guess some sugar and herbs/spices added as well.

Maybe just pour regular V8 juice onto the fruit leather tray and dehydrate the heck out of it. I was trying to think of a way to make it thicker, like apple sauce, so more could be dried at once.

Maybe just pour regular V8 juice onto the fruit leather tray and dehydrate the heck out of it. I was trying to think of a way to make it thicker, like apple sauce, so more could be dried at once.
Seed and drain the tomatoes, run them through the FP. I have a tomato strainer/press, but a food mill would work, too. At least, that's my thought. I never get the tomato "puree" from the tomato strainer to the dehydrator--I tend to drink it straight up.

Kathleen made tomato powder last year from my tomato leftovers when I ran them through the vegetable strainer on Lucille. Beats the heck out of peeling each tomato and trying to get the seeds out when making sauce.

Thank you to all who have posted ideas! I'm definitely taking notes and will share them with Randy. He does want something totally homemade so that he doesn't have to deal with cans/bottles of V-8.

Excellent idea regarding keeping the tomatoes intact until ready to blend for the powder. I do want to send my brother home with some, so it will have to be pre-blended at that point. I'll just vacuum seal it before he leaves, and have him put it in his checked luggage. I do have oxygen absorbing packs to keep it mostly moisture-free.

The plan is to keep it as low-sodium, low sugar as possible, with no MSG. MSG is in everything these days, along with her nasty little sisters. Label reading is an absolute must for me since I get migraines from it. I won't be drinking this, but I will use it in a soup base.

I can't wait to get to Sprouts this weekend to get the produce and make my 1st attempt. :chef:

I promise to keep you all updated. And please keep the suggestions coming. They are most helpful and appreciated. :)

Back
Top Bottom