ISO advice on new toaster oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hamilton Beach - Easy Reach Oven, 6 Slice with Convection about $65 on Amazon. A blurb on 'Best Ovens' does say it will not accommodate a whole chicken. Saw 3 different blurbs all agreeing it's a great little oven.

I was just reading reviews on the Hamilton Beach Easy Reach Toaster oven and it looks like that won't be for me.
The glass door explodes and the exterior of the oven heats up so as to be a fire safety issue :ohmy:

I'm still watching this thread though, as I will be needing to purchase a new Toaster Oven for my Mother in a few months.

funny you say that kgirl. Most, not all, the reviews I read mentioned the exterior heat was not so bad as compared to other ovens they had tested.

I'm thinking that if we were all to measure the exterior heat on our ovens we would come up with wildly different numbers.

Exploding Glass! now that is scary. But was it just one incident? or is it common. Again, I haven't come across any comments on that. Not to say I would buy it for my mother now that you've mentioned it!
But if it was more than one incicdent why haven't all these reviewers with blogs mentioned it. It consistently is in their "top" ovens to get.

Last edited:
If the reviews are on Amazon and some other sites, then you can check what percentage of the reviews seem genuine using Fakespot. I have the Firefox extension, so I can check easily from a button that I get on Amazon pages.

Unless I'm leaning against the counter in front of the toaster oven, I really don't notice any heat. It's cabinet is 5 inches away from the side of the refrigerator, 4 1/2 inches from the back wall, and a mere 2 fingers wide of a space to the knife block. It's been that way since I bought the T-O over three years ago and no problems. I bake bread in the summer and don't seem to heat up kitchen whether it's open windows temperature or the A/C is running.

As far as the glass breaking for that one reviewer, I bet it was operator error. She might have put casserole dish directly from the freezer into the T-O and have it touching the glass? I can't think of anything else to cause it to happen.

BTW, my first review for my Oster Toaster is in Post 6 above.

Last edited:
CG, I'll keep this one in mind.
We probably won't be outfitting Mom's new digs for a coupla months, so, there's that ...
We started the ball rolling today with all of the paperwork :clap:

The hard rub for me right now is that I just bought her a new TO back in May!
Granted, I got it for a steal at Target on sale, like $25. *shrug*
We've convinced her that we don't need to move anything but her personal things ... everything else is being either sold of donated to charity.

No problems with the Hamilton Beach toaster so far, explosions or otherwise. Since we haven't much countertop space, I like the small footprint and the door setup that doesn't need extra room to swing open.

One thing I like about the Oster is that the hinges are at the bottom of the oven. When I open the door the handle just clears the edge of the counter.

Some of these toaster ovens look swanky! When I was was much younger, I used my toaster oven all of the time. I'm not sure how or why I got away from it. These look so much more than just a toaster oven though. Wow!

Okay, this is the one we decided to go with: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ninja-DT...en-Large-Countertop-Convection-Oven/442307294

It's a smaller version of the Ninja we saw at BB&B and just a little bigger than our old one. It's only available by ordering through Walmart, so it might be a week before we get it. Can't wait.

And thanks for all your suggestions and comments [emoji8]
View attachment 45420View attachment 45421

I had a DT250, a 1975 2 stroke Yamaha DT250. I w2as 140 lbs. back then, so i put a buddy seat on it, and went with a 1 tooth larger front sprocket, and a tooth smaller rear sprocket. It had oil injection, so no need to premix gas and oil Was faster than stock, and climbed dirt hills like a mountain goat. I kept that bike immaculate. With the decals added to the gas tank, it was as pretty as it was functional. Sadly, it was stolen. The San Diego police never found it. It carried a few friends, and two girlfriends, with me driving. It might not air-fry a chicken,(sell maybe in the insane heat of San Diego summer:LOL:):LOL: but it was a blast.:mrgreen: It won't fit on your counter top. just saying:ermm:. The ill climb in this link would have beem less than a warm up for my bike. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu8E1inCgmk

This was how my bike looked before I tricked it out- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ry16lVKaJU.

And boy did it ever do nice wheelies, all day long. Top highway speed - 80mph.

This was my dream machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvUYhm5ttsQ I just about had the money saved for the 1977 version, then spent itg on my wedding reception instead. There went the dream:LOL:.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Good morning! We have a smallish backyard but love wood-cooked pizza. Our nieces bought us a KettlePizza for Christmas a few years back. There was a learning curve to get the fire right, etc., but we use it several times per month. The pizzas are great, and many of our friends and family ask us to make pizza when they visit us. It rests on a regular kettle grill (which is a 22 inch Webers in our case.) Pizzas will cook in roughly 5 minutes. There is a spot under the dome to warm wood sticks. We are very happy with it.

2023-04-09 15.54.52.jpg
pizza.JPG

I think it would be great, even if just for the experience. You would use it a lot in the beginning. I also think you would find that there are a lot of things you can cook in there besides bread and pizza.
I don't know where in the States you are and I guess it would also depend on your weather as to how often you would use it.
As Kathleen has mentioned there is a learning curve, so do a bit of research.
My parents had an indoor open face fireplace with a hook for hanging pots. There was also a side "oven" for not only baking but long cooking items. I don't know if it got hot enough for pizza, but that wasn't their favourite food anyhow. At the time I was not living near so did not get to see it used, but I was always a bit envious! LOL.

I have an outdoor pizza oven...but it is a standalone, gas type. Love it! Neapolitan pizza in about 2 minutes or less. There is a learning curve and a certain amount of fear too! :ROFLMAO: One has to learn to "throw" the pizza onto the stone. (There are a few tricks to it.) We love pizza, so, recently, I purchased an electric pizza oven too. Same idea and Neapolitan pizza in less than 2 minutes!

That said, there are limitations to the above mentioned ovens. Mainly size restrictions. The electric does up to 12 inches...and the gas is touted to do up to 14 inches. YMMV, as there are other complications to size too (too close to the flame, to start with & the above mentioned throwing.) But, I love them both!

When I lived in CA, a chef moved in next door to us. He built an outdoor pizza oven, much as you describe. Every evening, there was a lovely ocean breeze that would come up about 3PM. Any evening that he decided to make a pizza night meant that I had to close all my office windows...and being louvered, even that did help much. I was smoked out!

If you decide to build one...put some thought into it? I'm betting you'll love it, but maybe not the building of the fire so much? :unsure:

I have about a 30-year-old Hamilton Beach one that was on the low end of cost. A few years ago I was hoping it would die so I could justify getting one of the new combos. But since then I've hardly used it and really just need to get it off my counter. Why I tapered off using it is because my actual oven is just a lot more predictable temperature wise. If I put something in the toaster oven I have to just keep checking it and checking it because it is not nearly as predictable.

Back
Top Bottom