Is there a way to bake pizza at low temperatures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
I was wondering if pizza can bake between 350F and 400F? I would like to bake pizza with olive oil on pan instead of something less healthy, but the smoke point of olive oil is about 400F. Any special dough modifications that can make that possible?

I used to bake deep dish pizza at 400°, starting with a generous amount of olive oil on the dough, and, depending on the topping, bake the topping, minus the cheese, following with the cheese for the last several minutes. The bottom would be crunchy, and the deep dish also froze, and reheated well.

When I make cheese pizza, I bake the pizza bread first. Lightly brushed with evoo and bake 375 for 10 or 12 minutes. Brush with sauce, generous moz cheese, and in oven till cheese melts.

You sure can!
Go for pan pizza or high hydration though.
Make a poolish, or just a pinch of yeast and slow rise for better flavour.
Lots of good books out there for "home oven" pizza.
I like Ken Forkish pizza book. (I lower hydration when I bake in the ooni at high heat)

You can cook pizza at regular home oven temperatures. It will take longer, and the results will be somewhat different, but still good tasting pizza.

Like cookiecrafter said, you may want to pre-bake your dough crust for a while to give it a head start. I start with a pre-baked crust for my homemade pizzas (and I like a thin crispy crust pizza). Then, you are just heating your sauce and toppings, and melting the cheese. That takes me about ten minutes at 400F.

CD

I would make a conventional pizza and dress it with a small amount of good olive oil when it is screaming hot from the oven

The heat of the pizza will help to release the fresh flavor of the olive oil.

1670416755067.jpeg

I use olive oil in my home made crust and bake at 550'F on a stone that has been preheating about an hour.
the crust never gets to 400'F - the oil does not smoke or burn
IMG_1666.JPG

You sure can!
Go for pan pizza or high hydration though.
Make a poolish, or just a pinch of yeast and slow rise for better flavour.
Lots of good books out there for "home oven" pizza.
I like Ken Forkish pizza book. (I lower hydration when I bake in the ooni at high heat)
poolish?

I make a pizza that isn't the popular version you are used to. Maybe it's not even pizza, idk. Probably an Italian would cuss me for the way I make pizza, but this was the agreeable choice for my family and me.
I make the pizza crust slightly thicker than what you normally see and crunchy but only on the outside, the inside is fluffy, which I overload with toppings of peperoni and such.
Then I bake the pizza for 50 minutes on 150 degrees Celsius (302 F) in the preheated oven. For me, for us it's a delight.
The ratios I use for the crust are:
- 1 egg.
- 150 ml yogurt.
- 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- 1 teaspoon and a half of salt.
- 350 g flour (12,34 ounces).
- 20 grams fresh yeast (0,7 ounces). Or if I am using dried yeast, I go with 8 grams (0,2 ounces).
- 2 tablespoons of oil. I usually use sunflower oil, but you can replace it with olive oil as well.
I don't know about the healthy thing though, it's kinda rich in fat because of the toppings I use, and the ridiculous amount of mozzarella, but I guess you can customize it as you wish.

I found this online. It sounds similar to a sourdough starter???

What is Poolish?​

Poolish is a highly fluid yeast-cultured dough. It’s a type of pre-ferment traditionally used in the production of French bakery products.

A Poolish resembles a sponge for the sponge and dough system. The difference is Poolish is fermented much longer and uses a much higher hydration than a plastic sponge—which is why it’s considered the liquid version of a sponge. Typical hydration levels are 100%, with equal weights of flour and water.

CD

No cabbage on the Polish? :)

But yeah, poolish or bigga is like a sourdough starter, except it isn't sourdough ...
It can be a piece of dough left over from a previous bake, or you start with a small amount of dough. Let the yeast (very little bit) do it's thing, then use this to make the final dough

I make a pizza that isn't the popular version you are used to. Maybe it's not even pizza, idk. Probably an Italian would cuss me for the way I make pizza, but this was the agreeable choice for my family and me.
I make the pizza crust slightly thicker than what you normally see and crunchy but only on the outside, the inside is fluffy, which I overload with toppings of peperoni and such.
Then I bake the pizza for 50 minutes on 150 degrees Celsius (302 F) in the preheated oven. For me, for us it's a delight.
The ratios I use for the crust are:
- 1 egg.
- 150 ml yogurt.
- 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- 1 teaspoon and a half of salt.
- 350 g flour (12,34 ounces).
- 20 grams fresh yeast (0,7 ounces). Or if I am using dried yeast, I go with 8 grams (0,2 ounces).
- 2 tablespoons of oil. I usually use sunflower oil, but you can replace it with olive oil as well.
I don't know about the healthy thing though, it's kinda rich in fat because of the toppings I use, and the ridiculous amount of mozzarella, but I guess you can customize it as you wish.
Italians can complain all they want. Pizza predates them by at least 100 years. Lol.

I like to make my pizza with the mozzarella on top of all the other toppings. That way, when you bite into a slice all the toppings don't fall off because they are glued down by the cheese.

I was wondering if pizza can bake between 350F and 400F? I would like to bake pizza with olive oil on pan instead of something less healthy, but the smoke point of olive oil is about 400F. Any special dough modifications that can make that possible?
Actually, if you're oiling the pan then placing dough in the pan, the temperature of the oil probably won't reach oven temperature as it's protected by the dough. Before experimenting with different combinations of times and doughs, try your current recipe at the higher temperature. I think your pizza be fine.

I have occasionally started pizza on the stovetop in a cast iron pan - it's unconventional but works pretty well. The best way to do this is to slide you premade pizza from a board into a preheated and oiled pam and cook it for a few minutes to get the crust partially cooked, then put the whole thing into your oven.

I have also assembled the pizza in a cool pan, placed on a hot burner and then proceeded as above. It's almost as good.

Back
Top Bottom