Is there a substitute for wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Due to religions beliefs, and because I detest the flavor of alcohol, I never use wine, brandy, cognac, or other alcoholic beverages in my cooking. And yet, I'm intrigued by dishes such as BOEUF BOURGUIGNON, Brasato al Barolo (wine braised Italian beef), sherry basted pork chops, etc. Are there non-alcoholic beverages that can be used to add rich flavors, as wine does. Cn sparkling grape juice be used? Are there good substitutes for bourbon, beer, brandy, and rum? Though I can make so many great foods without the alcoholic beverages, I'm always curious to try new to me things.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Nothing will give the same exact effect as wine or beer or brandy, etc. For some things I would substitute chicken or beef stock. I have read suggestions of substituting a bit of red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar. I would also consider de-alcoholized wine or beer.

The only definite recipe I fully remember making with out the wine was Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon. I substituted a very viscous beef demiglaze.

I made it some 30+ years ago for guests who could not have alcohol.
It was delicious.

I believe a demiglaze works well as a substitute.

Ross

There are a number of recipes I make that call for "white wine or chicken broth"...or similar (red wine, beef broth, etc.). Some I find that I prefer the broth over the wine. So, I think it depends upon the dish. And one's personal preference.

Sorry if that's not much help!

If you simmer wine just below boiling for a half-hour or so, nearly all the alcohol evaporates. This also takes place during normal cooking.

We keep various sorts of sparkling cider in the cellar, which go well in place of champagne or other white wines, for guests who prefer that.

Just out of interest.
Is it a problem for a religion where drinking of alcohol is not allowed or frowned upon to use a liquor where the alcohol is removed from?
Alcohol evaporates at 78C or 173F. Is it allowed to use such liquids?

I´ve never tried this, Chief, but a friend of mine who was a Chef had to quit drinking for medical reasons. She came across "Verjuice" and said it worked well.
As I say, I´ve never tried it, but it might be an option for wine.
Bourbon, brandy, rum, scotch - since they´re matured and distilled spirits, I doubt there would be a viable alternative, but I might be wrong.

Chief, aside from the alcohol issue, you say you don't like the taste. This being so, I should think you would not like a dish that features that flavour.

I agree there are many instances that the flavours enhance the dish without actually tasting like 'whichever' flavour is being used.

Since almost all of the alcohol is cooked off (there is a percentage somewhere, albeit again, each dish would be different) you could potentially at least try a bite of a dish and see what you think?

Then again, if there is a medical issue I would certainly check with the doc first!

Due to religions beliefs, and because I detest the flavor of alcohol, I never use wine, brandy, cognac, or other alcoholic beverages in my cooking. And yet, I'm intrigued by dishes such as BOEUF BOURGUIGNON, Brasato al Barolo (wine braised Italian beef), sherry basted pork chops, etc. Are there non-alcoholic beverages that can be used to add rich flavors, as wine does. Cn sparkling grape juice be used? Are there good substitutes for bourbon, beer, brandy, and rum? Though I can make so many great foods without the alcoholic beverages, I'm always curious to try new to me things.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
When you cook with wine or any alcoholic beverage the flavor added is just that of the beverage. The alcohol is all evaporated - long gone when you serve the dish.

Generally speaking cooking does burn off most of the alcohol. To be rid of all traces the food must be cooked for more than 3 hours.
But there are a myriad of combinations of alcohol and being used in cooking. Depending on the alcohol and the style of cooking will both dictate the amount of alcohol removed.

I rarely if ever drink wine so I don’t really know what I’m missing.

If a recipe calls for a small amount of wine I usually ignore it and add a little splash of vinegar.

I do use small amounts of cognac, vermouth, dark rum, etc… in some recipes.

I wouldn’t run out and buy a bottle unless it was a major component of the recipe like beef burgundy but truth be told I would probably never be tempted to make a recipe like that.

I agree with others that most of the alcohol cooks off but I would never add alcohol to a recipe if it was being served to a recovering alcoholic.

Aunt Bea, depending on the recipe I don't think it would have any effect on someone banning alcohol from their life. Unless of course it is not being cooked out. But if it is, there is not enough alcohol left in the dish for it to be a problem.

for example, adding red wine to a spaghetti sauce and cooking it for hours is not a problem. Adding extra vodka to a Vodka Sauce just before serving (which many people do) is not advisable.

People who don't drink alcohol for religious reasons generally don't want to cook with it, even if they believe that most or all of the alcohol burns off. They don't generally want to buy alcohol or have it in their homes.

As to whether or not alcohol burns off in cooking, there are many factors. Check out this article:

There are a lot of alcohol flavoured essences available in specialty baking stores that might be worth a look. I haven’t tried them, but you can get a brandy, whiskey, bourbon etc flavoured essence with no alcohol.
If you try it please let me know your outcome, otherwise I might have to give it a go myself to find out!

Aunt Bea, depending on the recipe I don't think it would have any effect on someone banning alcohol from their life. Unless of course it is not being cooked out. But if it is, there is not enough alcohol left in the dish for it to be a problem.

for example, adding red wine to a spaghetti sauce and cooking it for hours is not a problem. Adding extra vodka to a Vodka Sauce just before serving (which many people do) is not advisable.
I still wouldn’t risk it.

I would be concerned that even the taste might trigger some sort of binge.

IMO it’s just not worth the risk.

Last edited:
Aunt Bea, I'm not suggesting you deliberately serve an alcohol/flavoured based dish, but if someone were to unexpectedly turn up at dinner time you can just say this is a ____ dish would you care for some. The decision is theirs.

There is more risk of someone "falling off the wagon" by watching shows that when between shooting and dismembering the other actors - they are constantly swigging, lifting a glass, pouring out booze - and also for ex-smokers lighting up and inhaling cigarettes.

Back
Top Bottom