Is my antipasto safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1kgcoffee

Assistant Cook
Fist time canning.

Long story short the jars sealed well after 100 minutes at 17psi, but a small amount of oil leaked out before the sealing occured. I also noticed a siphoning sound from a couple jars as it was cooling. Some of the threads have a black residue when I run my finger over them too.

I made about 22 quarts, containing about 3q+ of white wine vinegar as well as 800ml of olive oil. This is a small amount of oil but I didn't know that you weren't supposed to use oil in canning before this first batch. It's quite acidic, but I don't know if it is safe from botulism.

Did the oil getting under the lid compromise my seal, even though they are concave and can be held up by the rim alone?

Thanks in advance.
1kgcoffee

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

What exactly are the ingredients and method you used? Did you follow a tested recipe, or did you wing it?

Winged it, but I cooked it for about the same time and pressure as meat containing chili which should have a similar amount of fat.

It contains three heads of cauliflower (florets), nine small bell peppers, a package of fresh mushrooms, several stalks of celery chopped up, five carrots, a small jar of capers, two-three cups of chopped olives two cans of artichoke hearts, one and a half cups of sugar plus the aformentioned 3+ quarts of white wine vinegar and 800ml of olive oil. Not including spices

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom