Is Kashmir saffron on its way out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I found this very interesting, if somewhat long, article about Kashmir saffron. it’s in danger. I hope I’ll be able to sample some before it disappears! Also hoping I’ll be able to afford some before it disappears!

I read that yesterday. They need to do some serious educating of the farmers if they're going to save it. On the bright side, Iran supplies 80 percent of the world's saffron, so some version should be available.

By the time it arrives in your kitchen, any variations in flavor between saffron grown in different places will be totally lost, IMO. Grades matter more.

Its grown all over the world

I looked up Kashmir. North of India. There is a potential for trouble, not that likely but quite possible.

T

There's already been a lot of trouble in the area. That's the border where India and China have been having military disputes. Soldiers have died.
I remember when there were troubles in Syria - Aleppo pepper was unavailable for quite a while. It's a trivial thing in the big picture, but it's a side effect.

Hey, so, without hawking our product, just some info:

Yields in Kashmir aren’t reliable anymore due to obvious reason and sourcing is extremely tough now. Even for suppliers like me.

I did, however learn, that what makes Kashmiri saffron special is the quality grade (Super Negin). It’s due to its climate, etc.

Now there’s only 3 regions (one being Kashmir, 2 much more reliable, Iran & Afghanistan), which, due to similar climates can grown the same quality grade, Super Negin.

If you can’t get a hold of Kashmiri Saffron, just search for Super Negin saffron. You’ll find what you’re looking for in the same or better quality :)

Sourcing Super Negin from these 3 regions is difficult but TOTALLY worth it. It’s far far superior to Spanish Saffron for example.

Hit me up for questions if you have any!

Back
Top Bottom