Is it really necessary to wash fruits or vegetables with detergent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I am wondering for long time why there is often label on some dish-washing detergents saying that it's safe to wash fruits and vegetables with them. In other words, there must be some people washing fruits and vegetables with kitchen detergent. Why? What's the good thing about washing with detergent? Won't it even worse because chances are you may eat some left-over detergent if not rinsed very thoroughly

Which, to be clear, does not use the scientific method to make its conclusions. They literally take the FDA's annual list of produce ordered by how much residue is found on it with no regard whatsoever to whether the amount of residue is harmful. In fact, it's hundreds of times less than the FDA safety standards allow. And the EWG is not a research organization - it's an advocacy group funded by organic food producers.

There have been studies. Special fruit and vegi washes are useless. Apparently, dishwashing soap is worse than useless.

Sounds crazy, what's next? Washing with bleach? It's quite possibly a germophobe thing?

I´d never dream of washing veg with detergents.
Probably one of those ultra-careful-lets-protect-ourselves-from-lawsuits things.
Like the packet of peanuts I bought the other day. Sign on the back:
"MAY CONTAIN NUTS"
:ohmy::ohmy::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

i remove the obvious dirt from mushrooms and if my fresh herbs are crunchy with dirt, i would rinse them. i don't actually wash anything else - pretty sure everything is washed in the market these days.

I´d never dream of washing veg with detergents.
Probably one of those ultra-careful-lets-protect-ourselves-from-lawsuits things.
Like the packet of peanuts I bought the other day. Sign on the back:
"MAY CONTAIN NUTS"

:ohmy::ohmy::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

On an air flight I grabbed a bag of peanuts, when I read the label "MAY CONTAIN NUTS" I had a fit of giggles that I couldn't control. Even after I got control of myself, I would see the packet out of the corner of my eye and start all over again. It was terrible! I could have choked on those peanuts! They should really put a sign on of the dangers of laughing/giggling/chuckling while consuming.

i remove the obvious dirt from mushrooms and if my fresh herbs are crunchy with dirt, i would rinse them. i don't actually wash anything else - pretty sure everything is washed in the market these days.

They may be but unless it says so I wouldn't assume. Actually even the spinach I buy says "pre-washed" and then there's a label on it to tell you to wash before consuming.

We grow most of our own vegetables and all of our herbs, so I know where the dirt comes from. I just rinse with plain cold water.
I do wash vegetables like celery that come from the supermarket more carefully, but again just with plain cold water.

:D Yes, I forgot to add, I only ever use water.

My DIL has some sort of rinse for fruit or sompin' like that but I don't use it. Tap water/paper towel or dish towel are good enuf for me.

Just something else to remember, buy, store, rinse out, and garbage.

2 steps vs 5 steps :angel:

Which can bring up another .... do you wash your bananas before you peel them?:D

Last edited:
I wash everything from the store with water. I've occasionally had a very dirty bag of potatoes and have been known to dump them into lukewarm dishwater (leftover from dishes), to soak off the worst of the dirt. Then scrubbed them in clean water.

Our outside vegetables and fruit, we usually rinse with a hose, sometimes I fill a tub with water outside from the hose, throw all the fresh greens in it, and then sort it there into a strainer. Then I sort through it again in a sink of clean water, before I make salads or cook greens.

If we buy strawberries which are prone to molding, I'll wash them and then rinse them in vinegar water to keep the mold at bay if they'll be used in a day or two and kept in the fridge.

If we buy strawberries which are prone to molding, I'll wash them and then rinse them in vinegar water to keep the mold at bay if they'll be used in a day or two and kept in the fridge.

I do not wash strawberries until day of eating. I picked up a hint from somewhere -
when you get home with your berries, place on paper towels in a single layer, layering can be done (I've done up to 4 layers in one container).

I have found it really does help retard the molding.

I think people think they can get any pesticides or herbicides off their produce by washing it with special washes. Some of those special vegi washes claim to do that. Tests show that it doesn't really make any difference.

As to strawberries from the store, I wash them right away, but I make sure to let them thoroughly dry before storing them. I have had the best luck with that method. I haven't tried Dragn's layering with paper towels, but probably will.

I washed some spinach this morning with a half sink of water and a drop of dish detergent. A bird left some doo doo on the spinach leaves and I do not trust plain water to clean soiled greens. Been doing this for decades, and it is gross how much soil settles to the bottom of the sink after the wash. I do two rinses with plain water after swishing the greens in the soapy water. I'm old and not about to change! LOL

beth, I know where you're coming from with that "I'm old and not about to change" comment! :LOL:

...Apparently, dishwashing soap is worse than useless.
I will admit to using dish soap on occasion. I use Seventh Generation, which is almost all plant-derived ingredients and leaves absolutely no residue or scent. I'll put just a drop on my hand, wet and lather between the palms, then wash whatever hard fruit or veggie (such as an apple or zucchini) quickly and rinse thoroughly.

Sounds crazy, what's next? Washing with bleach? It's quite possibly a germophobe thing?
Actually, most pre-washed greens include a very light bleach wash/spray as one of the steps in "triple-washed".

...i don't actually wash anything else - pretty sure everything is washed in the market these days.
I wash anything that wasn't sold in a sealed bag. How do I know that the last person who picked up that apple or orange wasn't a grabby two-year-old who, just before holding that apple, was picking his or her nose? :ermm: :sick:

...Actually even the spinach I buy says "pre-washed" and then there's a label on it to tell you to wash before consuming.
Time to do a turn-about on that thinking, dragn. The latest rule says to not wash pre-washed greens using the same thinking put into "don't wash your chicken". You could spread or pick up more germs in/from your kitchen than it's worth. :unsure:
The #1 Reason Why You Shouldn't Wash Pre-Washed Lettuce

I wash anything that wasn't sold in a sealed bag. How do I know that the last person who picked up that apple or orange wasn't a grabby two-year-old who, just before holding that apple, was picking his or her nose? :ermm: :sick:/U][/URL]

how long do germs last, though? a day? a week?

whatever doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger!

Well Sara, see my comment to beth above. ;) I've been washing select produce with soapy water for more than half of my soon-to-be 71 years. If we leave my left knee out of the equation, I'm pretty strong enough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom