Intro.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meathead

Assistant Cook
Hey all a bit about me.

Hobbies: Cooking, Food, Nutrition, fishing, camping, SCUBA, collecting, time with my dog and wife, economics and investing.

Career: Public Safety.

I am a good home cook with no formal training. I have learned through trial and error, lots of youtube. I have invested in a lot of cast iron entry level and pricy but love it all. Best things I ever learned were proper slicing and dicing, tasting each food product, and know my heat source and what it will and will not do.

Fun facts: I am teaching myself water color and color theory. I am a data freak.:ROFLMAO:

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Welcome to Discuss Cooking. You will find that a lot of the people here are big fans and users of cast iron.

Hi there Meathead! Welcome to DC.

I too am trying to teach myself Watercolours. LOL it's going to be a long haul as I'm having a hard time creating my Secondary colour (to my satisfaction) and a really hard time wrapping my head around tertiary colours!

and then there are the washes, :( but we'll get there ! :LOL:

and at the same time I'm playing with coloured pencils, but in the end, I will probably have the most luck with my acrylics... time will tell...

When I get frustrated I go back to reading recipes. :angel:

and I love my CI's too

Hi there Meathead! Welcome to DC.

I too am trying to teach myself Watercolours. LOL it's going to be a long haul as I'm having a hard time creating my Secondary colour (to my satisfaction) and a really hard time wrapping my head around tertiary colours!

and then there are the washes, :( but we'll get there ! :LOL:

and at the same time I'm playing with coloured pencils, but in the end, I will probably have the most luck with my acrylics... time will tell...

When I get frustrated I go back to reading recipes. :angel:

and I love my CI's too

Good morning. I am brand new to art creation, at least until a month ago and I went nuts and taught myself how to do a Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Wheel in 3 days. I am on Patreon and YouTube following Jenna Rainey for an immense overall education and color theory and Paul Clark really gets into making all colors from the 3 primary colors.

I could start a new thread in the right place, we can chat further and perhaps others can chime in. Then we can talk about Windsor and Newton Professional paints and all kinds of nerdy watercolor stuff.

Welcome to the forum! From your call name I assume you watched the Archie Bunker series years ago (probably when you were still in the cradle).

People who can draw, create art, and be creative are so admirable. Just don't give up your pots and pans for your paint brushes!

I do not call myself an artist, per se. I am a copy artist mostly. You sound like you're way past my talents! LOL that's OK, I forgive! LOL

Tell me what to do in simple terms to create a certain something and I can follow. Ask me to create.... nope.

If you are a member on Patreon then find Louise de Masi. I don't know if I will join, I might just muddle along on her and Paul Clarks Youtube's. My concentration and days devoted are far and few between. Spring time planting between the rain showers also hinders.

Please post some of your things! Wouldlove to see!

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch, have you tried DC's Cast Iron Skillet Rolls? I'll post the link when I find it.

We have a few very accomplished craftspeople here. From juryrigging a hothouse to fly and rod building.

Rock painters, doll clothes, egg carving, photographers, amateur and pro's. The list is great! and they ALL like to cook... ;) :clap:

I do not call myself an artist, per se. I am a copy artist mostly. You sound like you're way past my talents! LOL that's OK, I forgive! LOL

Tell me what to do in simple terms to create a certain something and I can follow. Ask me to create.... nope.

If you are a member on Patreon then find Louise de Masi. I don't know if I will join, I might just muddle along on her and Paul Clarks Youtube's. My concentration and days devoted are far and few between. Spring time planting between the rain showers also hinders.

Please post some of your things! Wouldlove to see!

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch, have you tried DC's Cast Iron Skillet Rolls? I'll post the link when I find it.

Meathead: Well, I am about 6'5" and 280, so there's that. That coupled with the fact that I create decent BBQ, have spent much time learning how salt, fire and different proteins respond. But yes, as wee lad I do recall All In The Family. Now I am old and retiring.

I wish I was further along. But I can create nothing but leaves, squares and circles. I have not tried to paint anything other than those. I am really concentrating on learning color theory, water management, how to shade, proper brush strokes, brush pressure, practicing consistencies ranging from Coffee-Cream-Butter. Plus, I did not even know art terminology but I learned about the types of paper etc. I believe in having rock solid foundations when I learn something new and spend about 8 hours a day researching.

I am afraid I could not impress anyone right now, as I can only make shapes. Want to critique some? I could use some feedback, but you have to be brutally honest, it helps me to learn. If so, I will start a new thread in the right spot.

Last edited:
ohhh, I can be honest. Sometimes too much (according to my kids)

With watercolours it all depends on the effect you are looking for. I guess one should learn all of them and then branch into whichever pleases you most.

I can only comment on what I see... as I've stated, I'm not an artist, even any 'artistic' phrases I use, I've probably only just learned them in the last month or so. I was trying to pick up a few tips in order to paint on my eggs that I've carved.

Amazon has a few books (I've bought several :rolleyes:) with good instructions, tips and a lot have workbooks included, with good watercolour paper.

Linda Ravencroft, Sarah Simon, Rachel Pedder-Smith, Emma Faull, all book on Amazon with workbooks included - I find it a good place to start

and yes, watch a lot of videos!

Ok, here we go. After watching Paul Clark make any color from Primary Colors I really tried to emulate that. But, with my own stamp.

I set up my palette with 3 colors of each Primary Color. I am just having fun mixing. My primaries may change, but I will always keep 3 of each.

Windsor and Newton Professional line.

From left to right:

Windsor Lemon, Cadmium Yellow, New Gamboge.

Cobalt Blue, French Ultramarine, Windsor Blue (Green Shade).

Opera Rose, Scarlet Lake, Alizarin Crimson

Your thoughts?

Attachments

• Primary Colors.jpg
    Primary Colors.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 22
Trying to keep in mind that pictures translated onto computer screen are not exact. Just like when buying paint for the livingroom they will say the paint chips may not match exactly to the finished product.. LOL.

All of your colours shown (with the exception of Opera Rose and Scarlet Lake, haven't heard of them) are the same in my palette and in my instruction books. I'm not too sure what you are asking me to comment about.

My 3 reds are Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Red (hue) and Vermillion (hue). I don't quite understand the reference to (hue) and along with each of my colours there are stars numbering up to 4 with a letter in () of either a t or an o . I thought at first the (t) stood for tertiary colours but it is with all the primary colours... soo, have no idea.

My palette of paints are cubes, not tubes. A little more difficult to finally get to the intensity that you want but it was my choice. I bounce from craft to craft and also have periods where I don't do any. I chose the cubes as they are always able to reconstitute whereas the tubes, more expensive and to my mind messier.
The pictured palette is about 5 n 1/2", for perpective. Aquafine by Daler Rowney.
The chart showing colour temperatures is from a workbook by Linda Ravencroft.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom