Infuriating!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Miss-pronunciation of CHORIZO annoys the hell out of me as in CHORITSO. It's even got onto a British TV advertisement tonight. I didn't spend several years in Spain (the Balearics to be precise) not to know that it's CHOREETHO or CHOREESSO

It tends to vary according to where the speaker comes from and to a certain extent according to the speaker's class - the "z" is pronounced "th" in Castilian Spanish, which tends to be the Spanish equivalent of what is called "Cut-glass English". On Menorca I was advised to use choreesso, as choreetho was considered to be "snobby" and those using it were seen as trying to be superior.) As I was, at the time, dating the son of the Military Governor of the Balearics I took his advice and called it choreesso.

However you choose to pronounce it don't call it "CHORITSO" or I may have to come round and tear your head off!!!

Rant over.

Same here. I've never heard it pronounced choreetso. In Mexico, it's pronounced chorr-EE-so, so that's the pronunciation you normally hear in the US. I did hear it pronounced chorr-EE-tho when I was in Spain a few months ago.

Pronunciation aside, I've also noticed that a lot of people don't seem to realize that Mexican chorizo is a completely different product than Spanish chorizo. In Mexico, it's normally an uncooked, loose, spicy sausage, sometimes sold in a casing and sometimes not. In Spain it's a hard cured sausage flavored with lots of pimentón. The flavor isn't the same at all.

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the...ican-and-spanish-chorizo-word-of-mouth-207326

Last edited:
Same here. I've never heard it pronounced choreetso. In Mexico, it's pronounced chorr-EE-so, so that's the pronunciation you normally hear in the US. I did hear it pronounced chorr-EE-tho when I was in Spain a few months ago.

Pronunciation aside, I've also noticed that a lot of people don't seem to realize that Mexican chorizo is a completely different product than Spanish chorizo. In Mexico, it's normally an uncooked, loose, spicy sausage, sometimes sold in a casing and sometimes not. In Spain it's a hard cured sausage flavored with lots of pimentón. The flavor isn't the same at all.

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the...ican-and-spanish-chorizo-word-of-mouth-207326
Yes, Steve, I thought that was the case.

I was told by the boyfriend's sister-in-law (in the 1970s) that there was an uncooked variety in some parts of Spain but it was quite rare and I never saw any of it in Menorca.

Po-tato Poh-tado. Prove `em wrong with your cookin`. Then you get to say how it's pronounced.

Lol, Casey, darn straight.

The history of the name aluminum s. aluminium is an interesting one, whereby the Brits are on the short side, for once.

Mispronunciations are everywhere. My family came to the US from Torino, not Turin. Pizza was invented in Napoli, not Naples. I have no idea how Firenze became Florence.

We have chicken fajitas, which doesn't make sense, since fajita is a cut of steak.

As bad as we Mercans are, I think you Brits are even worse, Madcook. My theory is that it goes back to the British Empire, where England renamed whatever it wanted to rename. We Mercans mispronounce things because most of us just don't have any foreign travel experience. Basically ignorance.

When I am in Italy, they correct my pronunciation of my own last name. Over 100 years, our family just adapted to the American pronunciation.

So, don't let it get you angry. There are much more important things to be angry about.

CD

...When I am in Italy, they correct my pronunciation of my own last name. Over 100 years, our family just adapted to the American pronunciation.

So, don't let it get you angry. There are much more important things to be angry about
Amen! I hope that doesn't start an argument about religion...:ermm:

Also, how DO they pronounce "Dog" in Italian, Casey? :cool:

Back
Top Bottom