In the kitchen..what are you very good at and which areas of cooking not so?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im not bad at baking, I just dont enjoy doing it. Its messy (at least the way I do it) and I therefore make a mess when doing it. For me, its also too specific. Prefer cooking things that I can mess around with and personalize, without the risk of it rising or whatever.

the other thing, is certain cuisines ( like Indian, Chinese), It always tastes like Im trying to make them, but never quite nailing it. My guess is I probably dont out as much salt, butter, cream, oil .... to take it to the next level, as I have to watch my health.

i'm not very good at baking
Ditto.

I love to cook, but I can't bake to save my life. "Place and bake" cookies (using frozen or refrigerated cookie dough) is about as far as I can go. I can bake cakes as long as it's a mix from a box, but even that is usually too much trouble. If I want pie or a cake, I'll purchase one from the grocery store bakery.

I'm good at baking, but not decorating - I can't be bothered with things that aren't adding to the flavor! I bake all my own bread, but I do buy rolls for the occasional meats on the grill, and good bagels (which most aren't).

I have always liked Asian foods, but it wasn't until the mid 80s when I started getting accessibility to ingredients, though I had to drive up to NYC to do it (Philly had a few places, back then, but really not much). And I have always been one to make sure I have all of the ingredients - if I couldn't find something (which happened a few times!), I'd grow it, and later on, I'd order some things from ebay, that I couldn't get anywhere else. And now, most things are much more easily available, as with most food.

I can tell you that different people have different strengths and weaknesses in the kitchen. Some people may be excellent at baking and pastry while others may excel at savory dishes. Some people may be skilled at making complex dishes while others may be better at simple, home-style cooking. Some people may have a lot of experience cooking with a particular type of cuisine while others may be new to it. But one thing is for sure, people always look for new and different recipe ideas to include Chorizo in their dishes. Chorizo is a versatile ingredient that can be used in many ways. Some people use it to add a spicy kick to soups, stews, and pasta dishes, while others use it to make omelets, pizzas, and sandwiches. There are many chorizo recipe ideas available online, including traditional dishes like paella, empanadas, and tortillas, as well as more creative recipes like chorizo mac and cheese, chorizo and egg breakfast burritos, and chorizo and sweet potato hash.

Last edited by a moderator:
And chorizo (Mexican variety) is something I've been making for myself, since back in the late 70s, using any meat available.

I felt that way when I left work about 11 years ago. Then I decided I wanted to get better at it and started learning. Now I make cookies frequently and cakes and pies occasionally. Right now, I'm concentrating on Swiss roll cakes. Like anything else, it just takes practice. I'm planning to make a lemon one this week.
Swiss rolls are very hard to do! I hope your lemon one went well GG.

I agree - some people are good at specific parts of cooking for sure - I prefer savoury recipes - so the chorizo comments resonate. I try baking regularly (emphasis on "try") - I have no confidence.

Not sure why there would be a link to something about nursing writing services, so I have not clicked on it.

Last edited:
I agree - some people are good at specific parts of cooking for sure - I prefer savoury recipes - so the chorizo comments resonate. I try baking regularly (emphasis on "try") - I have no confidence.

Not sure why there would be a link to something about nursing writing services, so I have not clicked on it.
To me, the post you replied to looks like it could be written by a chat bot.

To me, the post you replied to looks like it could be written by a chat bot.
Happy Thanksgiving.
What you say could be true, or not or maybe.
Your post could be a reply from a competing chat bot. ;)
Mine is clearly a chat bot from another 3rd competing chat box company. :ROFLMAO:
Soon enough we will just be observers.

I cook, bake sweets, and do delicae fussy stuff. But, I am seriously yeast challenged. I've been trying since the 1960's, but I still can't master anything that is yeast-raised.

My kitchen nemesis is potato salad. Whether I follow a recipe to the letter or wing it on my own, I can't make make potato salad AT ALL. The potatoes are either too mushy or not done enough and I can't get the spices right. I finally gave up trying a few years ago and haven't attempted it since.

The thing I am really bad at is cleaning up afterward. If I can still see the sink, washing dishes can wait.

*looks at sink* Check! LOL

I'm real good at eating. Cooking, not so much, and I really suck at experimenting in cooking. Surprisingly, I tend to be better at baking than at cooking, for all I don't exactly follow instructions and I know baking is supposed to be a science. Either that or my taste buds are all shriveled up.

Good at improvising, bad at following recipes (2 sides of the same coin?)

Bad at presentation. I just don't care for it enough.

Getting better at baking

I follow recipes (not religiously, but enough) when I am baking. Otherwise, I never use recipes. I will read them to get the idea down, and then I wing it. Baking is less forgiving, in my view; get one thing wrong and it's a catastrophe. Leave something out of a dinner it won't taste as good. Leave something out of cookies or muffins and you'll have to throw out the results.

My weakness is deboning chicken or turkey. I never learned how and always make a mess.

Bad at presentation. I just don't care for it enough.
I'm the same . occasionally I'll go the extra mile in the presentation, but in most cases, Im practical. I figure Im just going to mess it up with my fork and eat it, so why bother trying to make it look all fancy. I also dont have great dishes, so no matter how fancy I make fit, its still on a plastic plate that we bought 25 years ago when the kids were little and we didnt want the kids to break them. We always talk about investing in nicer dishes, but thats when the practicality kicks in, an find something else to spend the money on.

Back
Top Bottom