I'm making raspberry jam or puree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do you make your liquid apple pectin? I have planted four apple trees, which are not producing yet, they were planted in 2019. Wondering if I should plant crab apple trees to make pectin

Hi @SweetAdeline and welcome.

Crab apples are a great source for pectin.
Most people that have crab apples let them fall and throw them out. It might be faster to just ask if you could pick theirs than to plant one. But crab apples are pretty trees! Here is our neighbor's crab apple tree, gorgeous.
redtreemay23.jpg

There are many good recipes on the net but this is what I did.
3-4 lbs of green apples, unripe is best. I cut them in quarters and put them in a big thick bottomed kettle with a few qts of water. Simmer them for a couple hours. Then strain through a cheese cloth lined sieve into a bowl. Then I boiled the liquid to reduce it about 1/3 less. It resulted in about 1 qt and 1 cup of liquid pectin.
You can look up the recipes and test it with a small amount of liquid pectin you've made. This will keep in the fridge for 5 days or it can be frozen.

Using the homemade pectin and also boiling/simmering it down with the raspberry juice/pulp with sugar, this is how it mounds on the spoon.
garlic-008.jpg

I did the numbers on the jam made this way too.

With the boiling down method, 24 cups of fruit juice/pulp to 3 cups sugar, a ratio of fruit:sugar is 8:1. Results in 1/4th cup sugar / 1 cup jam. (12 teaspoons of sugar) (I call it puree/jam)
With a sure jell recipe for jam, 2:3 results in 1/2 cup sugar/ 1 cup jam.
(24 teaspoons of sugar)
With a sure jell recipe for jelly, 1:1 results in 1 cup sugar/ 1 cup jelly.
(48 teaspoons of sugar)

The taste is very berry, tart and sweet for the boiling down method.
The last time I gifted my peach puree/jam (sweetened with honey) to a friend, she remarked to me after she opened it and tasted it, it was bursting with peach flavor. She wanted to know how I made it. God made those peaches, so there's that!

The one time I made a jelly, as opposed to a jam, I used crab apples that I salvaged from a friend's yard. I took a few sprigs of fresh mint, crushed them a bit in my hand, and then I dunked them into the hot jelly and swished them around and pulled them out. My mint jelly was wonderful, but it was light pink instead of green. ;)

taxy, I've made only two jellies, one was Grape and the other CrabApple
Both delicious - but having to buy the grapes was too expensive.
The Crab Apple was clear pink too, I was very proud of that one. Wish I had thought to swish some mint like that. Good one taxy!

taxy, I've made only two jellies, one was Grape and the other CrabApple
Both delicious - but having to buy the grapes was too expensive.
The Crab Apple was clear pink too, I was very proud of that one. Wish I had thought to swish some mint like that. Good one taxy!
I used the mint jelly recipe in the version of Joy of Cooking that came out in the early 1970s, 1972 I believe.

It was such a long time ago. I probably used Joy of C for the recipes too. I got mine in 1964 as a wedding gift. Don't think I even had any other cookbooks back then. Life back then assumed we (females) already knew how to cook, either taught in school or by mama's side.

Hi @SweetAdeline and welcome.

Crab apples are a great source for pectin.
Most people that have crab apples let them fall and throw them out. It might be faster to just ask if you could pick theirs than to plant one. But crab apples are pretty trees! Here is our neighbor's crab apple tree, gorgeous.
redtreemay23.jpg

There are many good recipes on the net but this is what I did.
3-4 lbs of green apples, unripe is best. I cut them in quarters and put them in a big thick bottomed kettle with a few qts of water. Simmer them for a couple hours. Then strain through a cheese cloth lined sieve into a bowl. Then I boiled the liquid to reduce it about 1/3 less. It resulted in about 1 qt and 1 cup of liquid pectin.
You can look up the recipes and test it with a small amount of liquid pectin you've made. This will keep in the fridge for 5 days or it can be frozen.
Thanks for the reply blissful, that sure is a beautiful tree. I believe I’ll be planting one in the spring.

I'm making another case of raspberry puree/jam, low sugar, with homemade green apple pectin. I'm still milling it with the oxo mill to remove the seeds. I'll be cooking it down all day in the electric roaster.

Back
Top Bottom