I wanna make some sundae ice cream. Will store bought whipped cream be a good idea or is it very low quality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
if i better make it myself i will.... just tell me....

i don't have the equipment to pour the whipped cream too in a shape......

let me know

Not sure what you mean. Are you meaning whipping cream to make the ice cream or cream that is already whipped to put on top of the Sundae?

🤷‍♀️

Read the label and give it a try.

If it’s real whipped cream the list of ingredients should be short and recognizable.

I use canned whipped cream with good results even though I have to admit that it’s an environmental nightmare.

Canned is certainly OK if you want those fancy ridges on it, Depending on the brand, taste wise,who knows. The few I've had were just fine.
Convenience is also a major consideration. Prepping a meal is a lot of work and there is nothing wrong with using a Stor bought item.

There is alos nothing wrong with just using a spoon to drop a big dollop of whipped cream on top of your sundae.

Not matter which way you go it will be DELICIOUS!

I don't used canned whip cream because I like the ingredients they add to it, in the stuff I can find here. I don't know what it's like where you live.

If you want to put homemade whipped cream on a sundae in a decorative way, you can do that without special equipment other than a plastic bag. You put the whipped cream in the plastic bag. Then you cut a small piece off of one of the corners and squeeze out the whipped cream. You can make swirls and other simple patterns. There won't be ridges on the stream of whipped cream that you squeeze out. If you are using a zipper bag, it will be easier, if you close the zipper before squeezing. If you don't have a zipper bag, you can tie the bag shut with a string or an elastic.

we can get pasteurized cream+CO2+nozzle - nada any other ingredient.
labeled "original"
so, , , that would be - for me - okay.
I use them for breakfast fruit crepes, pies, etc. long shelf life . . .
IMG_1373.JPG

but stuff with twenty-thirty other things listed as ingredients , , , not so much

there are gadgets where you pour in heavy cream, add CO2/NO2 cartridge, squirt away . . .
once punctured, the gas cartridges "leak" - so 2-3 days is "tops" for life span.

frequency of use determines whether the 'ready to use' stuff
or
the 'gadget' approach
or
the 'mixer+pastry/plastic bad & nozzle'

is the best solution for you.

For the canister for making whipped cream, the one that uses an NO2 cartridge, you only need to use 20% butterfat cream. Restos that use a lot of whipped cream often find the canisters more economical than buying 35-40% whipping cream.

I think I can count on 1 finger how often I've made whipped cream in the last year. I buy 34% most often (it seems to have a long life in the fridge after opening). I use it to make Ice Cream, spoon full mixed into my whisked eggs in the morning, spoon into the sauce or soup. 90% is in my eggs. Summer is coming so ice cream will probably take over.

Come to think of it, don't know if I have ever whipped this stuff. I get lactose-free, maybe I have whipped but as I've said.... 1 finger.

hmmmm, crepes... into that lately, maybe we'll find out how well lactose-free whips?

🤷‍♀️

Read the label and give it a try.

If it’s real whipped cream the list of ingredients should be short and recognizable.

I use canned whipped cream with good results even though I have to admit that it’s an environmental nightmare.
Personally I find the whipped cream one typically finds in a grocery store to be too light. I have had real whipped cream from Tim Horton's, they put it on top of their creamy chocolate chill, the difference was huge. It was very heavy, I could really feel it in my mouth. Very solid, very substantial. The store stuff was so light and fluffy in comparison.

heres some useless information about whipped cream , use the highest fat content possible, don't use powdered sugar as it readily dissolves and causes the end product to be too soft for pastry decorating.

In france whipped cream is different from chantilly.
Chantilly is made using powder sugar and more suited to spooning onto desserts.
Whipped cream or 'creme fouette' is made with granulated sugar and forms a stiffer end result which stands up for use in assembling cakes or whip cream napoleons.

If your whipped cream is unstable or mushy, its not necessarily due to lower fat cream, almost all the recipes I see call for the wrong sugar and way too much sugar. It shouldn't be sickly sweet, the first thing the palette should sense is the dairy...then the sweetness.

A baseline is 1 oz granulated sugar to 1 quart of heavy cream.

Although I don't make whipped cream very often, when I do I add a bare minimum of sugar and always granulated. Actually if it is just for myself I don't add the sugar.
I do if I'm making meringue of course- melted puddle of cream in the bottom of the oven would look a bit silly.

Like Dragn, I very rarely use whipped cream and I never add sugar. Mostly it is going on top of, or into a dessert that already has a load of sugar, so I like having the cream "natural". Just personal preference of course.

I don't use dairy or oil anymore but those cans of whipped cream in the refrigerated section were amazing. I had three teens in the house at one time, the whipped cream lasted about 24 hours. Once for dessert and then it disappeared! It was a delight. There was a lot of laughter around it.

Back
Top Bottom