I just thought of a brilliant idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's what I'm thinking of doing...
I'm going to cut out a hole in the middle of the steel patio table, reinforce it with a steel collar, and drop my Weber Smokey Joe charcoal grill into it. I'm turning this spare patio table into a Korean BBQ / Japanese Yakiniku table.

I have actually seen something like this using a Smokey Joe. Great idea. That style of cooking/eating is a lot of fun.

CD

I have actually seen something like this using a Smokey Joe. Great idea. That style of cooking/eating is a lot of fun.

CD

Mounting a full sized Weber kettle in a DIY cart/table is common. But I don't think I've seen anyone build a Korean style BBQ table using a Smokey Joe.

Several years ago I built a custom bench for my 22" Weber. Here's that photo:
img_1509285_0_63d96c21c3c872c0962958d53ed90d88.jpg

Last edited:
Mounting a full sized Weber kettle in a DIY cart/table is common. But I don't think I've seen anyone build a Korean BBQ table using a Smokey Joe.

Several years ago I built a custom bench for my 22" Weber. Here's that photo:

Great setup... I really miss grilling... :(

Ross

Just playing devil's advocate here, have you thought about any tall(er) friends who need lots of leg room? Especially with getting drunk. Don't want anybody to get burned. Shielding of some kind? It sounds like a great idea, but not being able to see it in real life, just wondering how much clearance you have.

Just playing devil's advocate here, have you thought about any tall(er) friends who need lots of leg room? Especially with getting drunk. Don't want anybody to get burned. Shielding of some kind? It sounds like a great idea, but not being able to see it in real life, just wondering how much clearance you have.
Yes, thanks, I already thought about that. I will install a surround made of expanded metal.
Also with my little grand kids at the table safety is my ultimate concern. :)

The grill will sit lower than what you see here. I've been enlarging the hole slowly to where I want it. A one-inch high circular steel collar will be welded to the table and the grill will be inserted securely into that collar. The collar will also serve as a heat shield.

Attachments

• BBQ.table.2.JPG
    BBQ.table.2.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 114
That IS a great idea, roadfix! I'd love to be a guest at your table for kebabs and drinks. Sounds like a lot of fun!

A little more progress. Enlarged the hole in the table just enough to seat the Smokey Joe with the steel collar around it (hard to see the collar as it looks like it's part of the grill). That collar will be welded to the table. The grill can be pulled out of the collar for cleaning.

Attachments

• BBQ.table.3.JPG
    BBQ.table.3.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I was out helping my mom at her new place, and I had some leftover T1-11 (a few partial sheets). I built a neat little BBQ table with a cut out for a small Old Smokey. I installed some lawnmower wheels so she could move it around. It's really convenient to go out and sit your phone and the food on the table while grilling. Can leave it in the table (doesn't get that hot) or sit it on the ground next to the table.

This is so cool, roadfix! I've been following along - and looking outside our window. You see, we have a patio table just like that...and so far I'm not seeing any progress on our table. :neutral: Guess you're too busy with the table on your side of this very wide country. :LOL: Can't wait until you show us the finished product.

You see, we have a patio table just like that...and so far I'm not seeing any progress on our table. :neutral: Guess you're too busy with the table on your side of this very wide country. :LOL:

Well, what you can do in the meantime is to buy a small ceramic charcoal grill that you can safely place in the middle of your patio table.
Many traditional yakiniku restaurants use this method

Unless it's an absolute calm day I need to make sure I'm sitting with the wind in my back. I'll let my guests deal with all the smoke getting in their hair and clothes... :LOL:

Actually, I've got some ideas on how to deal with the smoke...

This really is an awesome idea. I'd love a Korean BBQ table like that.

And on what Med nentioned, you'll definitely need some nd of heat sinking/protection for guests' legs.

I'm always bumping my knees on the thick wooden underside of the table when we go for Korean BBQ. But it's better than being burned.

Their grill box has two metal layers, and a wooden surround.

Good luck finishing your project.

Well, what you can do in the meantime is to buy a small ceramic charcoal grill that you can safely place in the middle of your patio table.
Many traditional yakiniku restaurants use this method
This sounds much more doable, seeing as how we still sit at the table and like to use the patio umbrella that goes through the center hole. ;) Thanks for the suggestion, rf.

The grill will sit lower than what you see here. I've been enlarging the hole slowly to where I want it. A one-inch high circular steel collar will be welded to the table and the grill will be inserted securely into that collar. The collar will also serve as a heat shield.

I have just one question. Wouldn't the heat of the grill transfer to the metal table and make it uncomfortable to put your bare arms on?

I have just one question. Wouldn't the heat of the grill transfer to the metal table and make it uncomfortable to put your bare arms on?

There will be some heat transfer, only up to about 3" perimeter surrounding the grill, but not hot enough that you can't lay your hand on it. I already ran a test a few days ago and actually used a lot more charcoal than I normally would just to see how hot it can get. The expanded metal table actually helps dissipate heat very quickly. If the table top were solid metal I wouldn't be able to keep my mug of bier cold. :)

Back
Top Bottom