I hate jumbo eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hilary1220

Assistant Cook
Currently I only have jumbo eggs in the house and I have a pecan pie recipe that's calling for 3 eggs. I'm thinking maybe to only used 2 of them. Does that sound reasonable or should I still use 3?

Interesting..

I have not purchased "jumbo" eggs so, I'm no help but, I am sure this group will give sound advice.. :)

Ross

Edit: Advice even before I could post this... Love this group..

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Since I had to make this much earlier I went with 2 jumbo eggs. I will let you know how it turned out.

Do you have a scale? The weight of a large egg, out of the shell, is approx. 1.75 oz, or 53 g. I remember this because a lady I knew years ago, who raised chickens for eggs, used to bring me the "oversized and undersized eggs", as she called them, as she only sold the large eggs. For some things, it doesn't matter, but for baked goods, like cookies, I would beat a bunch of them together, and weigh out 1.75 oz for each egg needed (this is when I baked huge numbers of cookies!). If I wanted just a few large eggs from jumbos, I'd weigh out what I needed, and use the leftover for an omelette, with an extra one or two.

Eggs naturally come in a range of sizes. Recipes have been standardized over the last 50 years or so, and so have ingredients.

Totally understand that. I'm sure jumbo eggs have been around a long time. Doesn't change the fact I think they're some kind of freak of nature, like the kid I saw in a McDonald's a couple weeks ago who was 7' 4" tall. It happens, but it's not the normal to me.

let's see if the code trick works here....
Code:
            USDA                                     EU Sizes     grams per egg
           oz/doz   oz per egg     grams per egg
peewee       15     1.25         35.4
small        18     1.50         42.5                small        <53
med          21     1.75         49.6                medium       53-63
large        24     2.00         56.7
extra large  27     2.25         63.8                large        >63-73
jumbo        30     2.50         70.9                very large   >73

let's see if the code trick works here....
Code:
            USDA                                     EU Sizes     grams per egg
           oz/doz   oz per egg     grams per egg
peewee       15     1.25         35.4
small        18     1.50         42.5                small        <53
med          21     1.75         49.6                medium       53-63
large        24     2.00         56.7
extra large  27     2.25         63.8                large        >63-73
jumbo        30     2.50         70.9                very large   >73
A screen shot might work better.

That's strange that the EU has the large eggs considerably larger than ours. I wonder if that would screw up recipes we use from there? Or maybe their "medium" is the standard there?

Totally understand that. I'm sure jumbo eggs have been around a long time. Doesn't change the fact I think they're some kind of freak of nature, like the kid I saw in a McDonald's a couple weeks ago who was 7' 4" tall. It happens, but it's not the normal to me.

I was reading up on egg sizes today. Some of the variation is due to the age of the hen. The older the hen, the larger the eggs.

I was reading up on egg sizes today. Some of the variation is due to the age of the hen. The older the hen, the larger the eggs.
When I kept hens, I always weighed the eggs. I believe the chart is for in-shell weight. I had one gal whose eggs could weigh up to 125 g! I always weighed the eggs in grams. I still weigh the store-bought eggs when I make Krumkake and other Scandinavian baked goods. There is a range of weight that is allowed for each size. Myrtle's eggs were XLarge Jumbo eggs.

The amount of shell produced is the same regardless of the age of the hen or the size of the egg. Smaller eggs have thicker shells.

The Mediterranean Grocery I sometimes shop at only sells jumbo eggs. I'm on my way this morning to get teff and kefir milk and will pick up some eggs while I'm there. Recently decided cut back on eggs a little bit and switching from two large to one higher quality jumbo seems like a reasonable way to do it, saving a little money at the same time.

That's strange that the EU has the large eggs considerably larger than ours. I wonder if that would screw up recipes we use from there? Or maybe their "medium" is the standard there?

considering the variability in the weight of "a cup of flour" methinks a few grams of egg difference is quite minor . . .

When I kept hens, I always weighed the eggs. I believe the chart is for in-shell weight. I had one gal whose eggs could weigh up to 125 g! I always weighed the eggs in grams. I still weigh the store-bought eggs when I make Krumkake and other Scandinavian baked goods. There is a range of weight that is allowed for each size. Myrtle's eggs were XLarge Jumbo eggs.

The amount of shell produced is the same regardless of the age of the hen or the size of the egg. Smaller eggs have thicker shells.

I read that about the shell too. The charts that mentioned shell at all, said that the weights were with the shell. I think the charts were made for size grading purposes and that would have to be with the shell.

So, do you know approximately how much a single shell weighs?

eggs - despite marketed "by size" - are sorted by weight.
if the USDA seal is used then bunches of rules apply.
each individual egg must be in a weight range
the weight of a dozen eggs must be within a range - they can't all be on the upper weight end, for example.

the usual and customary number for weight of the shell is 11% of the egg
- the white = 58%
- the yolk = 31%
which supposedly varies only slightly by peewee to jumbo....

details, lots of them, here:
https://www.ams.usda.gov/publications/content/egg-grading-manual

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom