Hump Day Dinner - 9/7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wanted to try out the updated version of some breakfast sausages, so we had breakfast for supper. We had breakfast sausages, toasted wholewheat miche, and an "open omelette". It was pretty tasty.

Breakfast for supper - omelette, breakfast sausages, and buttered wholewheat miche.jpg

I was home today, and feeling experimental, so I decided to use up one of my Turban Squashes from the garden.

I made " Sausage Stuffed Turban Squash" using the following recipe, and to my surprise it was above average ( which is a big compliment from me, since I'm picky, and very critical of my own cooking).

- So, I cut off the top of the squash and hollowed out the seeds
- Lightly salted , aand turned it upside down on greased pan, and baked for about an hour
- Let it cool, flipped it and scooped out the meat/ flesh .
***Be careful not to pierce it, as it will leak when stuffing. I only made one small piercing. Also, it actually retains its nice orange color, so it presents well when finished***
- I mashed up the squash with a little salt, pepper and pinch of sugar. the squash tasted and had the consistency like, you guessed it, a squash.
- Then cooked up the sausage , cut into bite sized pieces when done and set them aside.
- I sautéed the chopped onion, celery and mushrooms in the same pan I fried up the sausages in. Adding a little salt as needed.
- As everything was cooking, I made a sour cream substitution , grated some parm cheese and mixed in some egg and a little salt.
- Finally, I mixed everything together, stuffed the squash and baked for another 25 minutes , rotating 180 degrees half way through since the back of my oven is a little hotter.
- Took it out, let it cool a bit and sprinkled with parm cheese.

* The squash didn't really add any flavor, but added a creaminess to the sauce, and enhanced the ability of the sauce to adhere to everything else.
* The celery didnt add much flavor, but a welcoming crunch when bit into.

All in all, a pretty good recipe.

***For those who dont know me, I had to 'Veganize' The recipe ( vegan sausages, Just egg, make make due sour cream...). ***

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.01.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.01.40 PM.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.01.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.01.34 PM.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.01.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.01.27 PM.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.01.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.01.19 PM.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.01.06 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.01.06 PM.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.00.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.00.59 PM.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.00.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.00.52 PM.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.00.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.00.45 PM.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.00.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.00.37 PM.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.00.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.00.30 PM.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.00.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.00.24 PM.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 12
Cute squash, larry. I like to stuff acorn squash. Himself isn't a big fan, but when I make it he does eat...because his only other option is to cook his own meal.

I bought a package of Buitoni sausage tortellini last week for a quick supper. By the time I made salads and the sauce from whole canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, and seasonings, it wasn't quick.

20220907_203805.jpg20220907_210628.jpg

I was pretty exhausted after dialysis with a headache, and double vision (it happens sometimes). After picking up my grandson from middle school, /I crawled into bed and slept until 11 p.m. When I woke, I was hungry, and didn't feel like even reheating anything in the microwave. I went ultra simple, old school, and it tasted great:
2 slices potato bread
2 tbs. Skippy Super Crunch peanut butter
2 tbs. homemade raspberry jam.

I'm a picky eater in the way I eat things. No sandwich fillings are allowed to leak out the sides as I'm consuming my sandwich. If fillings start to ooze, I nibble them. I also eat from the top down, pinching the sandwich bottom, and sides to prevent leakage, Every bread crumb, every drop of filling goes into my mouth, and down to my belly. I know what you're thinking; This guy is strange:ohmy: I'm not OCD. I just have developed ways to get the best out of foods, be it Keebler chocolate covered shortbread cookies, saving the best bite of a meal for last, or eating all of the skin from a skinless hot dog. It's all entertaining, and just makes the food more fun to eat.

My mom was always scolding me as a child. "Son, don't play with your food!" I say, Play with your food, but don't make a mess.:D

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
@larry, nicely done! You go through so much work to make nice meals.
@chieflongwind, if that makes you happy, do it more often!

I had more of the italian type soup with vegan baked cheeze toast. And peaches, we're eating a lot of peaches while they are on sale. They are so sweet and juicy!

Larry, I too made stuffed turban squash, along with stuffed acorn, sweet dumpling, and other squash varieties I used to grow in my garden. Your version sounds terrific, and could be also made into a yummy soup, right in the squash skin. If I was allowed winter squash in my diet, I'd be making it for dinner next week.

My version was inspired by my Mom, always stuffed with some kind of force meat, usually much like a meatloaf. I also love to take mini pumpkins, carve jack-o-lantern faces in them, and after cutting the top, and removing the seeds, coat the inside with butter, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spices before baking, to make Halloween treats, one per person.

Again, Larry, beautiful job.

Larry, did you roast the "hat" as well? was there much meat inside it to add to the rest of the squash?

I did not. When I cut it up, it was loaded with seeds. I figured it may be a pain in the butt to try and pull out the meat from the lumps an bumps. There was enough inside the rest to use for the recipe.

This was the firsts time ive ever eat/ or cooke with this squash.
I wouldn't say it was the greatest squash I ever ate, but had a generic squash taste. Not sweet, not bitter, but a Avery creamy consistency ( not stringy or fibrous at all). Not too much ' sliminess' when scooping put the seeds. Skin pretty much maintained its orange color after cooking, so presented nicely. Definitely needed a little salt, sugar and pepper to boost the flavor, but I think the creamy consistency added more to the dish than the flavor itself. Id definitely cook this dish again and look for other recipes to experiment with. Something like this would present nicely on a Thanksgiving table, whether this recipe or stuffing it with something else.

I did not. When I cut it up, it was loaded with seeds. I figured it may be a pain in the butt to try and pull out the meat from the lumps an bumps. There was enough inside the rest to use for the recipe.

This was the firsts time ive ever eat/ or cooke with this squash.
I wouldn't say it was the greatest squash I ever ate, but had a generic squash taste. Not sweet, not bitter, but a Avery creamy consistency ( not stringy or fibrous at all). Not too much ' sliminess' when scooping put the seeds. Skin pretty much maintained its orange color after cooking, so presented nicely. Definitely needed a little salt, sugar and pepper to boost the flavor, but I think the creamy consistency added more to the dish than the flavor itself. Id definitely cook this dish again and look for other recipes to experiment with. Something like this would present nicely on a Thanksgiving table, whether this recipe or stuffing it with something else.

Maybe combine with sweet potatoes, or mashed rutabaga and serve in the squash skin. Or, a good pate could be served from it. Wild Rice and giblets dressing, anyone? Just some ideas to kick around.:)

Thanks Larry, was just curious. Thanks to you too Chief, lots of excellant ideas!

I might try it. When I first saw turbans they were mostly tiny decorative and then by the time I was more adventuresome in cooking and saw the few large ones I was single! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom