Hump day Dinner - 7/27

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bought a kohlrabi at the local farmer's market, cut it up, iced and salted it, and ate them raw, so crunchy! What a treat.

Veggie rice with minestrone soup over it. Some kind of sweets later, oat-fruit cookies, or nice-cream.

I was going to make a very easy supper of store bought breaded haddock in the oven and freezer fries in the toaster oven on convection with a side of coleslaw. I was about to start the coleslaw when I decided to check the fridge freezer to make sure I had some freezer fries handy. I do. I couldn't find the breaded haddock though. :doh:

Everything else that I might want to cook is in the freezer, but needs to be defrosted to use. So, we ordered hamburgers. They were delicious an really hit the spot. I had grilled asparagus instead of fries, as I usually do.

We have a couple of leftover chicken fingers from last nights dinner...so, I'm thinking Taco Salads for tonight! I had already started a big pot of fat-free refried beans and they will be done in time...I think/I hope! I'll make a pot of Mexican rice next.

So, I'll bake a couple of flour tortillas into a shell or sorts, then fill them up. Start with a layer of beans, then the rice, next the chicken, then salad greens, chopped tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, guac and top it all with some grated sharp cheddar cheese. Yum!

smileys-cook-842998.gif

I made empanadas today. I usually bake them but decided to fry them instead this time. They are better fried. Cole slaw and beer for sides.

IMG_0246.jpg

Looks and sounds great guys!

I took Mom & Mrs. Next Door Neighbor to linner (late lunch/early dinner) across the ways at the Golf Club and funny, we all ordered the same thing ...

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

Beef Sliders, cooked to a perfect medium-rare, topped with caramelized onions, cheddar cheese and a pickle, a side of Sweet Potato Fries, crisp please.
Very good and this is from the appetizer menu!

We had Vietnamese take out. Trucked clear across town to pick it up.

very Spicy chicken with just onions in a dark sauce. I'm pretty sure they shook the whole pepper tree in the sauce. Served it over rice.

The real reason we chose this particular place is for their egg rolls. Egg rolls usually cost a couple bucks. They sell them here for $14.50 for 2. Absolutely thin crisp wrappers surrounding a spicy (not hot) finely ground pork and veggie filling. Sounds the same as anybody's egg rolls, except these are so much better tasting.

I made a pan of my infamous Dirty Eggs - just enough eggs to hold a lot of mushrooms and onions together, kinda. Breakfast sausages and toasted seeded rye bread completed our plates. We'll dig through the fruit drawer for dessert later tonight.

IMG_20220727_201027653_HDR.jpg

Cast-iron pan-fried club steak, cheesy scalloped potatoes, and asparagus.

club_steak_072722_img_9869-jpg.51579

Glenn spied a recipe in our most recent issue of Southern Living magazine. Was great but, in my opinion, I would use less pasta. However, it was awesome and there is more left for tomorrow. The tomatoes were stellar. And I will make some French bread to go with. Wasn't able to do today.

Here is a link to the recipe: https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/shrimp-and-burst-cherry-tomato-pasta

Yummy!

we have a couple of leftover chicken fingers from last nights dinner...so, i'm thinking taco salads for tonight! I had already started a big pot of fat-free refried beans and they will be done in time...i think/i hope! I'll make a pot of mexican rice next.

So, i'll bake a couple of flour tortillas into a shell or sorts, then fill them up. Start with a layer of beans, then the rice, next the chicken, then salad greens, chopped tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, guac and top it all with some grated sharp cheddar cheese. Yum!

smileys-cook-842998.gif

IMG_6602 (2).jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom