How/where do you find if something is safe to can?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rockergirl

Assistant Cook
I apologize for all the posts this weekend. I'm on a canning roll....Here's my question - how/where do I find if a recipe or item is safe to can? For example, I would love to pressure can caramelized onions. I know you are able to can onions in many recipes, including an onion jam. I also know that you are able to can something as long as you can for the amount of time the ingredients shows in the USDA or Ball. Anyway - the USDA book doesn't have all that many recipes but I know there are has to be other places to confirm what you are canning is safe. Onions confuse me because I don't see a process for canning onions just plain but I see onions in all sorts of things....

Lanf-grant universities in the United States pretty much all rely on the National Center for Home Food Preservation at the University of Georgia for canning procedures and recipes. This school was designated by the USDA to be the primary research center for canning, drying and other home food preservation techniques: http://nchfp.uga.edu

Another site I have relied on for many years is www.foodinjars.com. The author abides by the rules established by the University of Georgia and has developed smaller batches and more interesting combinations of flavors for water-bath canning and pickling. She doesn't do low-acid pressure canning.

And another is the site by Ball, the manufacturer of a common brand of canning jars.

Back
Top Bottom