How to Stretch A Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
With this recipe, a single sirloin steak will feed four people a generous portion. It uses the steak, plus veggies, to make delicious pita pocket sandwiches. Enjoy.

Ingredients:
3 pita pocket rounds
3/4 lb. well marbled sirloin steak
1 cup fresh mung bean sprouts
2 ripe Haas avocadoes
1 sweet red onion, sliced thinly (optional)
mayonnaise
Steak sauce (I like A1 brand for this)
Salt
Pepper

Get heavy frying pan very hot. Season steak on both sides with salt, and pepper. Slice tomato, and cut each slice in half. Slice the avocado flesh into thin slices. Peel and remove pit from avocado. Sprinkle a bit of lime juice onto the slices to prevent the from browning. Pan fry the steak for three to four minutes per side for medium rare steak. Remove to a cutting board and let rest for ten minutes. Slice steak on the bias, and against the grain into thin slices.

Cut pita rounds in half. Carefully separate the sides to form a pocket. Spread mayo, and steak sauce in the pockets, followed by meat, and then the veggies, bean sprouts last. Serve with cold horchata, or your favorite beverage.

You can also make a homemade mayo, or aioli for this. That's what i did the last time I made this meal. Everyone loved it. If you have someone who likes their meat cooked longer, simply place their portion of slices into a hot pan, with a tbs. or so of water. Cover and cook for2 minutes longer.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This sounds just my sort of thing Chief. My brother and I are not big steak eaters, but we like the flavour of a steak - just not a big slab of meat on the plate in front of us! I reckon we would both like this, so I have copied the recipe - thanks! :)

I looked up A1 steak sauce. It looks quite like our "HP Brown Sauce" - which has a vinegar/tomato/molasses base - would it be a reasonable substitute?

Last edited:
Yes, I think HP is quite acceptable. I like both and use them alternately.

FYI, Chief passed away just this month. He has so many recipes here, he was is a favourite poster of many recipes and fantastic information. He will be sorely missed.

LOL, just look below! In this new forum they have "similar" threads posted below.... there are 5 recipes of the Chief's! He's obviously still with us!

An old boss of mine once said "No one is dead as long as someone remembers them" and that is so true!

How wonderful that Chief's recipes will be a lasting legacy!

Back
Top Bottom