How to stabilize fluffy eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Absolutely

Assistant Cook
Hi, I am new to the forum and I tried to search if this has been asked before, but the search function seems limited.

My wife bought a silcone microwave egg mold she was hoping to use at her work. (They only have a microwave in their kitchen). For reference the device is basically a flat sided silicone bowl with a matching silicone lid. 30 seconds, flip and 30 seconds again.

I was doubtful at the quality of the cooked egg, but wow was I wrong! A well beaten egg becomes the fluffiest and lightest egg .... for about 10 seconds. The egg collapses brutally as it cools within seconds of coming out of the mold.

I am not sure how to stabilize the fluffiness of the egg. I suspect since the bowl and lid fit so tightly, the microwave generates steam so fast, the steam is well trapped and helps build the fluffiness. However once the lid is removed the temperature changes so rapidly, the delicate steam pockets collapse. As the device is silicone, I doubt I can reasonable slow the cooling, as the silicone does not conduct heat well. I am open to suggestions on cooling ideas if that is necessary for the solution.

I suspect an additive might be a good direction for a solution. I have tried to used a few starches to help give the egg some structure, though not sure if it did anything, just experimenting so far. Adding crumbled strong aged cheese was a delicious additive that also seems to help stabilize the fluffiness a tiny bit. I did notice the cheese helped make the steam pockets smaller, though denser as a whole..

Any advice on how to keep the fluffiness while it cools? It takes about 30 - 60 seconds to cool enough to eat. Another 30 more seconds after that and there are no crumbs remaining, fluffy or otherwise.

Thank you for your help.

I have on many occasions cooked a 'fluffy' egg in the micro.

I heavily butter a ramekin. Whisk egg thoroughly, I add only a splash of milk, best of course is heavy cream :pig: , again well incorporated. Pour into ramekin and zap in micro.

because micro's differ in power you will have to find what works for you. I use about 70-75% power for 30 seconds, stir, again 30 seconds. Check to see if cooked thru and only 10 seconds per shot after that.

If you over cook it will be tougher (rubbery). But I find it holds its' shape, doesn't collapse. You're right, be careful, it's very hot!

dress up with what you will, chives, s & p, cheese, etc.

And Welcome to DC, Absolutely!

Thanks dragnlaw!

Much of your method seems similar. I have been testing without and with differing amounts of water. I have not tried milk or cream yet. I have found with water it seems to be fluffier, but collapses more devastatingly. (Only a few tests, so not conclusive yet).

Interesting that you stir halfway. Does this help control the bubble size? Added water seems to make bigger steam pockets adding to initial fluffiness, but also therefore collapse more disappointingly. Your thoughts?

Thanks again

When I have cooked eggs in the MW, I have watched through the window. They rise up a whole bunch while they are cooking. But, they collapse to about half that size by the time I get the door to MW open.

I don't know the shape of your silicone mold. I'm thniking it is more the shape I cook it in that helps keep the 'lift'.

I stir half way thru because that was the instructions in the recipe I found months ago! LOL I now realize of course, that what it is doing is just redistributing any uncooked and cooked parts.

Ross, only started doing that since moving to my basement apartment. I don't like "frying" down here, and too lazy to climb the stairs that early. Toaster oven and micro wave are my main modes of cooking here.

Ross, only started doing that since moving to my basement apartment. I don't like "frying" down here, and too lazy to climb the stairs that early. Toaster oven and micro wave are my main modes of cooking here.

Makes sense to me. :)

For whatever reason, I have never used a microwave for anything but reheating things, softening or melting butter, etc. Don't recall actually cooking in it.

Ross

Microwave - single servings of vegies, ex green beans. Rice, start a baked potato and finish in Toaster Oven. Coffee, coffee, and then coffee.

Toaster Oven, toast (duh), chicken, cookies :yum:, baked potato, sheet pan meals. Tiny toaster oven single size servings.

It seems I was wrong adding milk instead of water to the eggs, at least according to this online article - https://microwavemealprep.com/microwave-fluffy-scrambled-eggs/. The key seems to be to whisk the egg into a froth, just before microwave cooking. Tis traps air, and makes for fluffier eggs. Also, overcooking will ruin the egg. Hope this helps as I haven't tried it.

I did try microwave cooking poached eggs by placing two eggs into a ramekin of salted water, and cooking until just done, with still runny yolks. The came out quite tasty. I cooked them a hair too long and had lightly firmer egg yolks than I wanted, but still mostly runny. On buttered toast, they were very good.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I hate/can’t eat browned eggs. Microwave scrambled eggs don’t burn. I used to do them all the time with water added for fluffy eggs. I saw them cooking my eggs that way years ago at a breakfast/muffin place. I always add water to scrambled eggs whatever way I cook them for fluffy. Milk or cream gives you a creamy texture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom