How to slow cook without a slow cooker/crock-pot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookingislife

Assistant Cook
help! do i need a lot of liquid and low heat? im planning on cooking on the stove with an iron skillet.

I would use a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Brown the roast and take it out of the pot. Sauté onions, carrots, celery in oil. Add back the meat. Add liquid - beef broth or water. Add seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 2-3 hours. When it's almost done add potato, carrots and whatever else you want. It's done when you can easily stick a fork or knife into the meat and pull it out easily. If you have an instant read thermometer, the temp in the center of the roast should be 190ºF-195ºF if you want a sliceable roast or around 205ºF if you want it fall apart tender. Remove the meat and veggies and thicken the liquid with some flour to make a gravy.

I agree with Andy.

I would put a lid on the pot while it is simmering. Check it once in a while and give it a stir. If there is still too much liquid about a half an hour before it's done, take the lid off and turn the heat up a smidgen, so it will still simmer. If it is still too liquid closer to serving time, turn up the heat, so you can reduce the liquid. Have fun.

As above, and if the flame on your stove is too big, then use one of those flame diffuser thingy's

Alternatively, you could use the oven

When making a slow cooking meal like pot roast, I often put the covered pot in a 325ºF oven. more even heat distribution and no need to watch the pot.
That's exactly what I do. Oven, 325F after seasoning and browning on the stove. Add a cup of water or beef stock, cook 2.5 hours add carrots, onions (whole, cleaned boiling onions), and potatoes and cook for another 2.5 hours. I use about 4 pounds of roast (1 or 2 of them, in order to get the amount I need). Then, I remove beef and veggies to a platter (cover with foil & place back in the oven that has been turned off)...then I make a gravy with the juices. Yum!

That's exactly what I do. Oven, 325F after seasoning and browning on the stove. Add a cup of water or beef stock, cook 2.5 hours add carrots, onions (whole, cleaned boiling onions), and potatoes and cook for another 2.5 hours. I use about 4 pounds of roast (1 or 2 of them, in order to get the amount I need). Then, I remove beef and veggies to a platter (cover with foil & place back in the oven that has been turned off)...then I make a gravy with the juices. Yum!
OOOPS: Typo!! It should have read, "and cook for another 1.5 hours"...not 2.5 again! Sorry!! 4 Pounds of Beef, 4 hours total cooking time.

I would probably do it in the oven, if I had a wall mounted oven, instead of the one in my stove, under the burners. I don't want all that bending over to put the pot in the oven, check on it, and take it out later. All of that is so much easier with an oven at a reasonable height.

Last edited:
Tight fitting lid and definitely cook it in the oven and not on the stove
I always braise on the stovetop because I like to taste and smell it as time goes on and, like taxlady, I don't have the strength and stamina to regularly bend over to remove the pot from the oven and put it back. It works fine on the stovetop, especially if you like to futz with it, like me.

Should I be doing it in the oven I would only be taking it out once, maybe twice to check on it. I too am severely limited with my back.
So although the stove top is certainly a viable alternative - my testing would result in not enough left in the pot to serve for supper. :pig: :pig: :pig:
Best leave it in the oven.

When making a slow cooking meal like pot roast, I often put the covered pot in a 325ºF oven. more even heat distribution and no need to watch the pot.
I use a good stainless Dutch oven and I do my slow cooking either in the oven but more in a big electric turkey roaster. Probably not many people have those but I use mine a lot. I put the pot roast or pork shoulder or chuck roast for sandwiches just following the recipe into the Dutch oven. I slow cook on 325 whether it's in the oven or the electric roaster. I tightly seal the Dutch oven by putting foil underneath the lid. Tight lid is a must.

Then I put the Dutch oven into The 325 roaster or oven. Now you can't put any vegetables in there until later but I just usually don't put vegetables in there. I'm usually making Mississippi pot roast which just has those peppers in it or a chuck roast for sandwiches. I did have success putting a sweet potato in there one time.

And then the time on it is the same as slow cooker high time but just depends on how big the roast is. Mine are usually in there for average 4 hours.

I slow cook in Dutch ovens, often in the oven, but usually much lower than normal - 275° or a little lower, will result in a barely simmering dish - much closer to a "slow cooker" than 325°. And sometimes I use a "flame tamer" on the stove top, which also gives a gentle simmer, which is close to a slow cooker.

Until a little while ago, I did not know the required temperature for "slow cooking". I used to use a heavy cast iron Dutch Oven in the oven at 325, but now that I am edumakated, I too would use 275. Again, I too, have used the stove top with a flame diffuse for a super low bubble.

Always in the oven and not the stove. It cooks more evenly in the oven. It can burn too easily on the stove.

I cook it at 275-300

Back
Top Bottom