How to make non spicy healthy mustard or at least very little spice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, it's been a while, hope you are all doing good. Every time my house attendant would make homemade mustard for me, it would come out very spicy. We attempted at least 1 to 2 more different methods to have it come out as non-spicy but it would turn out to be spicy every time. We used the mustard seeds kroger brand to make the mustard so I am thinking that was the wrong type or brand of mustard seeds to use to make non spicy mustard. Please answer the question in the title if you know. Also I don't want any starch in it unless that's just naturally in there and not a additive. I don't want salt and vinegar in it either. What type of mustard seed do I need?

Hi. This is a great article that describes the chemistry of making mustard and has recipes for four different types. None of them have gluten - it's not in mustard seeds.

If straight mustard is too spicy - and remember to let it mellow for a few days, and try it with food like bread or a slice of cucumber or something - you can mix it with honey, mayonnaise, yogurt, etc., to calm it down.
https://www.seriouseats.com/mustard-manual-guide

1. Use yellow seeds instead of brown. Yellow is milder.
2. Heat. Use hot water instead of cold. Heat mellows the fire in mustard seeds.

I tried making mustard once, and I failed miserably . I dumped the remaining seeds over the deck fence, forgot about them, and the next year I had one heck of a corp of mustard greens. I would like to try again though.

This is the recipe I use, for dijon. I use all yellow mustard seeds and yellow ground mustard. The only change I make is I can it in a waterbath canner. It's not spicy but it takes a week before it is not spicy--the mellowing happens during that week. I use it all the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DgG62sln2Y

Over 15 years ago I made several different mustards to test the local market. Some were reasonably successful, but the process was very complex and I decided not to continue.
However, this one - Münchener Würstsenf (Munich style sausage mustard) might just work for you. Yes, it´s got vinegar in it, but it´s not "spicy" (hot) at all:
1/2 cup + 2 tbsps black mustard seeds, ground in a coffee/spice grinder or in a mortar
4 tbsps yellow mustard powder
1/2 cup beer
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp allspice
1/8th tsp cloves
1/4 tsp tarragon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp honey
1/2 cup beer

Mix together the two mustards.
Warm the beer (and the next 8 ingredients) in a saucepan until the sugar is dissolved.
Pour the mixture over the mustard and stir.
After about 3 hours, add the second lot of beer.
Stir to mix, leave two or three days, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed.

are those acids bad/unhealthy for the mouth and/or teeth?

How much do you plan on eating of this stuff? Three time a day and every day just might do it.

But I honestly don't think it will do much harm if eaten in a normal way.

As karade has said, you should ask your doctor/dentist, especially if you have soft tooth enamels, and/or stomach issues. Be sure to tell them how much you plan to eat.

are those acids bad/unhealthy for the mouth and/or teeth?

Anything really hard could crack a tooth

Anything Acidic will wear away enamel over time ( making it more susceptible to cavities, fracture, and at the very least , increased sensitivity )

Anything sticky will increase the risk of cavities

All in moderation with normal daily oral home care wont do much /. if any damage.

***Everyone is different so some may be more at risk than others***

Back
Top Bottom