How to Achieve long, Beautiful egg strands in Egg-Drop Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I know there are many in the DC world who know how to achieve the liky strands of egg in egg-drop soups. But for new, inexperience cooks, this can be an exercise in frustration. First, What is egg-drop soup?

Egg drop soups is a chicken broth based soup, simply seasoned with ginger, a hint of garlic, toasted sesame oil, and maybe a bit of black pepper (optional). It has thin ribbons of cooked egg floating on the broth, and thinly sliced green onion added into the bowl.

The problem with making the egg ribbons is that raw egg is delicate and will easily disintegrate into a cloudy mess. So, I'm going to give you the secret to making perfect egg ribbons.

Egg begins to set at about 170 degrees, F, far below the boiling point of water. Moving water is what disintegrates the egg. To get those ribbons you desire in your soup, make and season your broth to your tastes. You will need to bring the broth to a boil if you are making broth from scratch.

When the both is seasoned, turn the heat to its lowest setting, even take it completely off of the heat. Let it cool just enough so that the broth is no longer moving. Beat two eggs with a fork until smooth. Then, slowly pour/drizzle the egg, in a continuous stream, into the broth. Let sit for a few minutes. The egg ribbons will cook quickly.

Take care to not add the egg too quickly, and keep moving over the broth as you pour, so as to make ribbons of egg, rather than lumps. Serve with thinly sliced green onion, or chives on top. Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I know there are many in the DC world who know how to achieve the liky strands of egg in egg-drop soups. But for new, inexperience cooks, this can be an exercise in frustration. First, What is egg-drop soup?

Egg drop soups is a chicken broth based soup, simply seasoned with ginger, a hint of garlic, toasted sesame oil, and maybe a bit of black pepper (optional). It has thin ribbons of cooked egg floating on the broth, and thinly sliced green onion added into the bowl.

The problem with making the egg ribbons is that raw egg is delicate and will easily disintegrate into a cloudy mess. So, I'm going to give you the secret to making perfect egg ribbons.

Egg begins to set at about 170 degrees, F, far below the boiling point of water. Moving water is what disintegrates the egg. To get those ribbons you desire in your soup, make and season your broth to your tastes. You will need to bring the broth to a boil if you are making broth from scratch.

When the both is seasoned, turn the heat to its lowest setting, even take it completely off of the heat. Let it cool just enough so that the broth is no longer moving. Beat two eggs with a fork until smooth. Then, slowly pour/drizzle the egg, in a continuous stream, into the broth. Let sit for a few minutes. The egg ribbons will cook quickly.

Take care to not add the egg too quickly, and keep moving over the broth as you pour, so as to make ribbons of egg, rather than lumps. Serve with thinly sliced green onion, or chives on top. Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
My mom would do this with Lipton chicken noodle soup (dry mix envelope). As soon as soup was done she would turn heat off and slowly pour eggs in and stir. She would add parsley, fresh grated parmesan or romano cheese to the eggs. I loved it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom